Racing Accidents (1 Viewer)

Greg,

As a human, your obvious lack of respect for someone else's opinion and condescending tone is not understandable. What's wrong with saying, "John, I don't agree and here is why." These discussions are to promote ideas of making the sport safer, not "I'm smarter than you" jabs at each other.
Russ,

I guess you're right. I've gotten a little testy after a few hundred comments from people that don't know enough about the Super categories.

What WOULD all those poor manufacturers of stutter/delay boxes do with all that inventory??? :rolleyes: Maybe a bailout from Glendora? :D
Russ,

Here's another example of a post that has gotten me to the point of being so testy!

Martin, stutter boxes have been illegal for nearly a decade and a half. Delay boxes do nothing but delay the release of the transbrake. I believe you've confused electronics with throttle stops. It's timed throttle stops that cause the Super category cars to idle off the launch.

Greg,

Understandable. With the TA/FC it's "Are those nitrous bottles?" while pointing at the fire bottles, amongst others. Get the same thing at work with auto repair questions. Thanks for your response.

Russ

if my memory is right cj had a brake failure he wasnt dumping etc etc . wasnt it right b4 gators this yr??? i just know give me a 588 jeff taylor or a 632 nesbitt or sunset motor, par engine . so u can get up on his door

Yes, it was a brake failure. I wasn't slamming the brakes... The pedal went over center when I was trying to slow down... I was barely applying pressure when it happened.

As for your second point Tim, regardless of the options to alter your run at midtrack the know fact remains that speed is directly correlated to risk. Not everyone lets off the gas, and not everyone does it before the finish line.

At this point its a matter of preference... I prefer to run the speeds that I am... At least in S/C... I would love to go into the high 200's in my favorite class :D...

CJ Curtsinger

A part failure can happen at anytime, it can happen on the freeway (interstate) going 65 mph and cause fatality. So can a slick surface (rain, dew) and cause problems, over correcting, many different things. Does every single accident on a fwy end up in the news? No..... Is it horrible? YES!

We sign waivers as drivers and crew. Everytime you fire a car, you have this risk.

I agree 100% with that Nancy... Call me later tonight so we can chat...

CJ Curtsinger

Yes, it was a brake failure. I wasn't slamming the brakes... The pedal went over center when I was trying to slow down... I was barely applying pressure when it happened.

As for your second point Tim, regardless of the options to alter your run at midtrack the know fact remains that speed is directly correlated to risk. Not everyone lets off the gas, and not everyone does it before the finish line.

At this point its a matter of preference... I prefer to run the speeds that I am... At least in S/C... I would love to go into the high 200's in my favorite class :D...

CJ Curtsinger

Just a quick question CJ... Would you think a Suspended dragster going 190 MPH is more "Dangerous" or at risk to having something go wrong than let's say a 100' WB Door car running 150mph in the same class? Like a Vega let's say....

I think your a pretty good driver kid....and I'm glad that your brake issue was mechanical... and you've got me on speed by about 20mph..:mad:.. I just think that there are too many variables, like Nancy stated earlier that can cause these horrible accidents to occur.

If I had it my way, I'd take away the throttle stops and make the class' Advanced ET with a pro light... Classes 7.00-8.50, 8.51-10.00 and 10.01-11.50

BTW...did you finish your licensing for the TAD yet???

Russ,

Here's another example of a post that has gotten me to the point of being so testy!

Martin, stutter boxes have been illegal for nearly a decade and a half. Delay boxes do nothing but delay the release of the transbrake. I believe you've confused electronics with throttle stops. It's timed throttle stops that cause the Super category cars to idle off the launch.

Greg- I have a rule book... I also have a few sarcastic emoticons that follow those comments.

First and foremost, my condolences to Doug's family and friends.

This may be off the wall, but has there been any look into the '34 Chevy. If I recall, this is the 3rd or 4th death in this style roadster in the last 10 years. The two names I know are Jeff Krug and now Doug. I know there is one or two more. I just wonder if there is an aero issue that takes place. Again, please don't blow me up, just asking the question and am interested in opinions.

This may be off the wall, but has there been any look into the '34 Chevy. If I recall, this is the 3rd or 4th death in this style roadster in the last 10 years. The two names I know are Jeff Krug and now Doug. I know there is one or two more. I just wonder if there is an aero issue that takes place. Again, please don't blow me up, just asking the question and am interested in opinions.

Not gonna blow you up on that at all Justin!! I knew Jeff and Teri Krug very well, and that is kind of a valid question. I say Kind of, because I don't believe it to be the aero of the 34 or 27T or any other type of roadster. Rockey Keys also passed away in a super catagory roadster if memory serves me correct. I think it's just a coincidence. I think the short wheel base can create some issues when "heavy braking" occures, whether by mechanical failiure or by driver error. These type of accidents do happen from time to time, and most of the time, the driver walks away with little or no injuries, (ask Jenn Jaramillo about the accident at the mile high's vs her brother's dragster in super comp round 1 a few years ago).....that one was caused by a Transmission failure I believe, and oil got underneath the rear tires of the door car, (Drivers name drawing a blank, but I'm sure Denny Johnson knows him, as he now drives a Rear Engine Dragster up here in Denver).

But, anyways, I think the main thing here is that it is very sad anytime a life is lost in our sport. We try so hard to put Safety at the top of the list but some times....STUFF JUST HAPPENS that can not be explained or controlled.

Just a quick question CJ... Would you think a Suspended dragster going 190 MPH is more "Dangerous" or at risk to having something go wrong than let's say a 100' WB Door car running 150mph in the same class? Like a Vega let's say....

BTW...did you finish your licensing for the TAD yet???

I have no experience in SWB cars, so I can't give an answer worth anything to that question. My guess would be the wheelbase based on what I've seen. However, a lot of SWB crashes that I've witnessed were driver error. Mainly them not making the right choices when they get squirrelly at half track and it only gets worse the farther they go. To me a good indication that you know how to drive is when you know when to give it up and go home.

I can't finish my licensing until school finishes, but I'm schedualed back at Frank's the Monday after PRI. Which will be something to look forward to since my sister put her wedding on the Saturday of PRI, but we have to be there for all the pre-wedding stuff on Thursday. So I will miss PRI this year.

CJ Curtsinger

I have one question for the experts out there, how is throttle stop racing (in the context of this thread title) any more dangerous than running full out? What is the difference in regards to safety if I run 8.90 @ 172 or if I run 7.50 @ 172, I’m still traveling at 252 feet per second at the stripe.

Justin, you raise a valid question about the safety of the '27 or '34 Roadsters. I have driven a '27 SG type car, and we had no issues. However, I remember hearing somewhere along the line that some guys, probably in faster Comp style cars, having problems with the front fenders trapping air and causing handling problems, but were remedied by louevers (sp). This thread has taken a little detour into the safety of Super classes, and my original point was that we have lost a driver in SG and one in PM just weeks apart, but everyone is still focused on the benefits of 1000 ft. racing for nitro cars. Bottom line, I guess, is that we can't make this sport 100% safe, there will always be risk, but what drove me to start the thread is the fact that why don't we get more amped up about finding answers when someone is killed in a SG car than when it happens in one of the most powerful, hardest accelerating cars on the planet?

Russ,

Greg, i appreciate your thoughts about super classes, you have had a lot of success in drag racing. My thoughts about this was using you natural abilities to operate the car, using a timer to determine when you leave the line doesn't seem natural to me. That being said their is no more risk of an accident either way, the biggest problem with these classes is realizing you have a problem and getting off throttle, 99% of the time you have lost the round anyway.

Justin,

Not just the '34 Chevys!

The roadster chassis SFI spec is the most outdated and under-engineered chassis on the drag strip today. Especially considering there have been no major changes to the spec since it's creation, when 500 horsepower small blocks were the engine of choice in those types of cars.

Now, with 1100 big blocks a common site in these cars I think the spec is long overdue for a complete overhaul.

When I built Art Hoover's Cavalier roadster I did some serious re-engineering and up-sized much of the tubing so that the chassis was more like a Pro Stocker than a traditional roadster.

NHRA and SFI definitely need to look at the roadster chassis!

...the biggest problem with these classes is realizing you have a problem and getting off throttle, 99% of the time you have lost the round anyway.
Dead on!

I've seen way to many guys over-drive their car or get way to aggressive with the brakes at the finish line.

Mechanical failures are something that can happen at any time. But driver error and the way they set their cars up are something that can be altered.

I have one question for the experts out there, how is throttle stop racing (in the context of this thread title) any more dangerous than running full out? What is the difference in regards to safety if I run 8.90 @ 172 or if I run 7.50 @ 172, I’m still traveling at 252 feet per second at the stripe.

its not.... that's my point at least....:cool:

All I said about throttle stop racing is that I'd like to see it go away...

oh and Not an expert.. just been around for a while with these cars..

its not.... that's my point at least....:cool:

All I said about throttle stop racing is that I'd like to see it go away...

oh and Not an expert.. just been around for a while with these cars..

I've been around too. I see no correlation between throttle stops and safety (lack of), except for possibly the argument that a throttle stopped motor has a much easier life and will last longer thus reducing the chance of catastrophic engine failure.

Getting rid of throttle stops from a preference standpoint is a completely different matter. As far as the Top Dragster/Top Sportsman/no throttle stop racing being safer, for the most part, the guys who win are holding .02 anyway and are going to have to scrub that off no matter what class they are running.

In my opinion, tapping the brakes at the top end (to avoid breaking out) at 150 MPH is safer than doing it at 200 MPH.

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back