Newspapers still need to be educated (1 Viewer)

nitrofishblue

Nitro Member
This morning's Sunday paper had an article that again shows that we need to educate the editors.

The article was titled "18-year-old charged with alleged drag racing." The article went on about how this fellow was drag racing on the expressway with his Honda, nearly causing several accidents.

I just sent a rebuttal to the editor, stating that it wasn't drag racing but illegal street racing.

I doubt if I get a reply but I hate to see the term drag racing used instead of illegal street racing.:mad:

Kathleen,

We have the same problem over here in Australia, only they like to turn it into big news on the major networks, in one case recently, enough people complained, that one of the networks made changes to their report. It is a shame that the media can't tell the difference nearly 99.9% of the time. :mad:

The Correct term is Stock Car Racing...
or with rice burners Sports Car Racing

no..THE CORRECT TERM IS ILLEGAL STREET RACING, or if it were an Acceleration contest on the street, then it was an EXHBITION OF SPEED.....PERIOD! If this guy was SPEEDING DOWN THE HIGHWAY, then it was WRECKLESS DRIVING! NOT DRAG RACING..IN NO SHAPE OR FORM WAS IT A DRAG RACE!!! IDIOT JOURNALISTS!!!:mad:

What newspaper wrote this article??? They're gonna get a healthy Dose of TIMMAH! :eek:

This is what I wrote the lady:

Ms. Engebrecht,

There is an article in Sunday's paper in the Local section page B4 in the Police and Safety portion with a byline of Janice Morse. The piece is titled "18-year-old charged in alleged drag racing."

Do you want to know what is wrong in that title? The 18-year-old was engaged in illegal street racing not drag racing. There is a difference. By using the term drag racing for the illegal act, you are casting the fans of drag racing in a bad light. True drag racers do not compete on the streets. True drag racers are not bums with cigarettes hanging out the side of their mouths. True drag racers have their entire family involved from wife/husband to the kids. You would be surprised to see the number of women who compete.

Real drag racing is nothing like illegal street racing. Drag racing is contested on a legal strip with rules and regulations plus safety issues are observed. Illegal street racing is when a person engages in racing on the streets in a dangerous manner.

I am a 64 year old lady who has been a fan of NHRA drag racing since 1976. I have spent many a weekend at Edgewater watching "drag racing." I even named one of my dogs Nitro Fish after the Nitro Fish Funny Car. I find it upsetting when a person uses a term incorrectly to label an illegal act.

Please, in the future use the proper term ILLEGAL STREET RACING for illegal act of racing on the streets.

Kathie Fuller
"Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dogs think I am."​

This is the article:
18-year-old charged in alleged drag racing

CLEVES -An 18-year-old Indianapolis man is accused of drag-racing in his Honda Civic, then fleeing from police at speeds exceeding 120 mph, nearly causing several crashes on Interstate 74 Friday night, an arrest report says.

Brian K. McMullen faces a felony charge of fleeing and eluding, plus misdemeanor charges of drag-racing and child-endangering, says a report from the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

Police say McMullen and another driver - whose name was not immediately available - were drag-racing in Cleves on I-74 west. Police tried to stop McMullen, a report says, when he fled, "passing multiple vehicles on the right and left, almost causing multiple auto accidents." McMullen sped into Indiana and "finally stopped just inside Kentucky," where deputies arrested him.​

The editor's email is [email protected]

Last edited:
I don't know, if the expressway had turns to the left it would be stock car racing, if it had turns both directions would it be SCCA or Road Racing? Last time I knew, drag racing didn't have turns. lol

I sent an editorial to my local newspaper about this issue on an article done last year. I explained how what he was talking about was street racing not drag racing. This is the response I received.

"I took "drag racing" from the legal definition:

(625 ILCS 5/11‑504) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑504)
Sec. 11‑504. Drag racing. Any person who, as an operator of a motor
vehicle, is convicted of being a participant in drag racing shall be guilty of a
Class C misdemeanor, and the driver's license of such person shall be revoked in
the manner provided by Section 6‑205.
"Drag racing" means the act of 2 or more individuals competing or racing on
any street or highway in this State in a situation in which one of the motor
vehicles is beside or to the rear of a motor vehicle operated by a competing
driver and the one driver attempts to prevent the competing driver from passing
or overtaking, either by acceleration or maneuver, or one or more individuals
competing in a race against time on any street or highway in this State.
(Source: P.A. 83‑831.)"

What was "drag racing" called before there was a drag strip ??
When the first strip was built did they have a contest to come up with a name ?? Who won the contest and what track was it ? :p:eek:

Timmah's Response....

Ms. Engebrecht:

Good Afternoon. I am writing to you in reference to this morning's article in your newspaper, in which the headline stated "18 Year Old charged in alleged drag racing". Being a licensed Drag Racer in the National Hot Rod Association, I take serious offense to this headline. Let me explain to you why. Although Merriam-Webster defines DRAG RACE as (noun): An acceleration Contest between Two Vehicles, the standard definition of Drag Racing can be found from this link to Wikipedia, Drag racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as:

A drag race is an acceleration contest from a standing start between two vehicles side by side over a measured distance. The accepted standard for that distance is either a quarter-mile (1,320 feet) or an eighth-mile (660 feet). A drag racing event is a series of such two-vehicle, tournament-style eliminations. The losing driver in each race is eliminated, and the winning drivers progress until one driver remains.

This is the sport, that I was raised in, and the sport that provides me and my family with entertainment, and my source of income. This past weekend, the founder of the National Hot Rod Association, Mr. Wally Parks, passed away at the age of 94 years old. He lived his life, finding a way to provide facilities, and events for people to bring their cars out and "DRAG RACE", in a controlled, safe, and sanctioned environment. He, along with the support of local law enforcement in almost every city in our United States, did this under the umbrella of a Non-Profit Organization known as the NATIONAL HOT ROD ASSOCIATION (NHRA). When the "Public" reads an article such as the one printed in your newspaper, they often assume that the person who committed this "CRIME" was affiliated in some way with people like me, or the 275,000 members of the NHRA, who have dedicated their lives to help prevent incidents like this to occur.

I understand that you are reporting information that was given to your office from the Law Enforcement Officers that were interviewed. I also understand that the LEGAL definition of DRAG RACING is:

"Drag racing" means the act of 2 or more individuals competing or racing on
any street or highway in this State in a situation in which one of the motor
vehicles is beside or to the rear of a motor vehicle operated by a competing
driver and the one driver attempts to prevent the competing driver from passing
or overtaking, either by acceleration or maneuver, or one or more individuals
competing in a race against time on any street or highway in this State.

However, I believe it to be responsible journalism to not only print the facts of who, what, where, and why, but also to insure that the correct terminology is used. The correct "TERM" that fits this crime is "STREET RACING", or "Exhibition of Speed". This person was Driving Recklessly and jeopardized several lives. However, he was NOT DRAG RACING, he was STREET RACING. Here is the definition of that term:

Street racing is a form of unsanctioned and illegal auto racing which takes place on public roads. Street racing can either be spontaneous or well-planned and coordinated. Spontaneous races usually occur at intersections where two cars stop at a red light before they begin racing. Street racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I take offense to the comparison of Drag Racing, and Street Racing. Our sport requires the support of Corporate Sponsorships. I have personally had meetings with Multi-BILLION dollar companies cancelled due to their misunderstanding of the Term of DRAG RACING. I was actually told by a Marketing Director of a Fortune 500 company, that "ALTHOUGH YOU ARE A VERY INTELLIGENT, WELL SPOKEN, ARTICULATE, and PASSIONATE Gentleman, our company can not in good faith support an activity that Risks lives on the street". This is a direct quote from the email that I received from their office. When I responded and properly started to educate them on the MAJOR differences they began discussions for sponsorship. This did not occur 10-20 years ago, this was Three Months ago! Their understanding of a DRAG RACE was unfortunately the Incident in Selmer, Tennessee, where a fellow Licensed Drag Racer Troy Critchley tragically lost control of his car during a Non Sanctioned Exhibition of his car on a public street. Here is a link to that story: Aussie drag racer may face charges | NEWS.com.au

This is not a new fight for us real DRAG RACERS. It happens on a weekly basis, where the MEDIA reports incidents like what occurred in your city as a Drag Race. I am a proud member of both the NHRA and R.A.S.R. (Racers Against Street Racing). Our main objective is to get people off the Street and onto the Track! Articles like yours do not help our cause. I am hoping that you will print a retraction in your newspaper, and let the public know what occurred was a Street Race, and not a Drag Race. If not, I expect that you will refer to any future incidents like this, and what they truly are, Illegal Street Racing.

I thank you for your time, and wish you the best of luck in the future:

Timothy W. Charlet

Charlet Motorsports

NHRA COMPETITION LICENSE NUMBER 5636 Super Comp

We have been down this road before here. There was drag racing before there was ever any drag strips. Drag racing started as illegal race from a dead stop between two vehicles, on public roads.

Some of it is still done on public roads, and it is drag racing.

There are some places where kids still play baseball and football in the street. It is still baseball and football.

Today we have a tendency to call a street race, a "street race", but it is still drag racing.

NHRA does not own that name.

Jay

Maybe Drag Racing Fan's need to be Educated???

We have been down this road before here. There was drag racing before there was ever any drag strips. Drag racing started as illegal race from a dead stop between two vehicles, on public roads.

Some of it is still done on public roads, and it is drag racing.

There are some places where kids still play baseball and football in the street. It is still baseball and football.

Today we have a tendency to call a street race, a "street race", but it is still drag racing.

NHRA does not own that name.

Jay

Yeah Jay, but when a Kid is killed on the street by playing Football, or baseball the press does not refer to it as "KID KILLED IN TRAGIC FOOTBALL ACCIDENT!"

Times have changed Jay. The activity that your refering to when a couple guys line up against each other is a STREET RACE DUDE! It's an ILLEGAL ACTIVITY!!! IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! Drag Racing is not against the law.

If a kid was hit by a car and killed while playing baseball in the street, the press would certainly state he was killed while playing baseball.

You can google dictionary and find all of the online dictionaries. Look up drag race in each one and you will not find where it states where the activity takes place.

It is much like shooting guns. There are places where it is legal to shoot and places where it is not, but it is still shooting a gun.

Times certainly have changed, but the definition of drag racing has not.

Jay

Like Jay says there are illegal drag races on streets and it IS still termed drag racing. It does need to fit the description though. In a case where two numbskulls are swerving in and out of traffic and around corners that is more correctly called rat racing or street racing.

In this case they are wrong to use the term.
I think they can be too lazy to look it up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back