Help fight the R-word (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
I am proud to be a coach for Special Olympics and to also have a brother who is an athlete in the program. I received an email about the upcoming move Tropic Thunder and apparently it goes nuts with the R word. In one scene it is used 16 times. I've been next to some of my athletes when that word has been used, the crushing look on their face is something I do not want to see again. I know in my little word around me I always try to get people to quit using it, now I figured lets go bigger and try to get the knowledge out.

YouTube - Campaign to Ban the "R" Word -- Special Olympics PSA

http://www.r-word.org/

This is written by Tim Shriver the chairmen of Special Olympics
washingtonpost.com

This is the email that was sent
"Please help us stop the harmful effects of the "R-word."

Special Olympics invites you to be a fan of dignity and join in a campaign to stop the use of the “R-word.” This week, the film "Tropic Thunder" opens in movie theaters across the nation. While intended to be a satire on Hollywood actors and producers, the film contains scenes which are offensive and demean people with intellectual disabilities.

In one particular scene the “R-word” is said 16 times. This word hurts, even if it is not directed at a person with intellectual disabilities. For too long, people with intellectual disabilities have had to overcome the challenges society has put forth through stereotypes.

Please consider helping with this campaign by boycotting the film "Tropic Thunder" to help make a statement to Hollywood that we will not stand for this type of content that is hurtful to people with intellectual disabilities.

Be a fan of Dignity, don’t say the R-word"

a good friend of mine just retired from 30+ yrs. of running group homes
for Disabled people.......i am with you PJ, no place for the R word;
and likewise for the H word. thats why it's called the ADA act.
thanks for your post.

While I fully agree and support you, PJ, I'm not sure a boycott will be necessary. This one looks about 1/2 notch above a straight-to-video bomb to me...

Count me in, PJ. Your dedication to the cause stands as a shining example of how we all should be. Thanks to you for all you do--and I'm sure it doesn't get said enough. We're behind you 100%, PJ, and thanks.

I'm really not even concerned about the boycott of the movie. Its more the use of the word and hopefully getting people to think about not using it.

Mike, I managed a home for a few years myself.

I do have a nephew who has Down syndrome, however if some asks me if he's retarded I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it! Now if it's in the context like he's worthless that's another matter!:confused:

PJ, As a special needs daycare provider that "R" word is a pet peeve of mine too. My little ones are the light of my life. If I am having a bad day I can look at one of my kids and when they smile back at me I feel so much better. god made them unique! I will send this out to all my friend who work with our awesome kids.

thanks everyone.

Joe I understand, its the same with my brother, when someone is asking a question and uses the R word just out of not knowing better I don' get bent. I usually answer rather than yes he is R I respond with yes he is developmentally impaired, or yes he is ________ some other version. Its a nicer way to change the mindset

Too often though people use it as a put down and a very harsh one at that.

I have a 27 year old daughter who was born 3 months early. Rebecca spent the 1st 30 days of her life in childrens hospital of orange county. She has had her struggles but graduated from high school works full time but probably wont live on her own. She has completed in the special olympics probably since she was about 7 years old. I've gone to the california state game probably 10 times and its just unreal. To see those kids work as hard as the do and compete in the different events just brings tears to your eyes. If everyone had the heart that these kids do the world would a whole lot better off.

I would never call anyone the 'r' word out of anger or to be mean, BUT I call my self a 'r' blonde all the time! I think it has alot to do with the era. When I was growing up it was allowed as were many other words that would cause major chaos and uproar now.

I have a 27 year old daughter who was born 3 months early. Rebecca spent the 1st 30 days of her life in childrens hospital of orange county. She has had her struggles but graduated from high school works full time but probably wont live on her own. She has completed in the special olympics probably since she was about 7 years old. I've gone to the california state game probably 10 times and its just unreal. To see those kids work as hard as the do and compete in the different events just brings tears to your eyes. If everyone had the heart that these kids do the world would a whole lot better off.

Mike, I wish everyone would attend one of these events. I'm sure it would open their eyes and change their opinion.

One of my biggest pet peeves is deliberate meanness. The other is ignorant people who don't care to know better. I haven't heard anyone use that word in a long time in reference to someone who might be disabled and I like to believe that I would be the first in their face if they did. Now, using it to describe something that is totally bass-ackward, I have heard some, but not with the intention of belittling a person.

The word isn't in my vocabulary but, if people substitute a word for it today that's more socially correct and acceptable, years from now THAT will be the word that people will be trying to get away from while substituting something that for some reason will sound nicer at the time.

I don't see anything wrong with that word if it's meant the way it's intended with no insulting.

We've gone from what? Crippled to handicapped to challenged? "N" to colored to negro to black? Back to "N" for some? :D

I have two cousins who are 'retarded' and growing up that's how they were refered to by everybody. In fact, they used to say that they were retarded too, so I grew up thinking that it was as much of a label as saying they were male and female, hispanic or white. There was no shame in that, it was always very matter of fact.

Somewhere along the line it became shameful. I've long since lost contact with those cousins, my uncle passed away and his wife moved away.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back