Have you seen this car? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Nitro Member
Project%20Super%20Comp.jpg

Anyone know where this car is today?

That car was for sale about five years ago and I think it was in Pennsylvania. Or in that part of the country. I believe Bob Jenkins built the car ......

That is the old Bob Jenkins Super Comp car. It was in NJ years ago. I have not seen it or heard about it for years.

I helped build this car way back when and it resides in New York somewhere. We had a great time running this rod back then. It ran a best of 8.10 and I forget the MPH. It was a fun car to build. It ran an injected stock 454 on alky and glide. Bob would like to get the car back and put it on display at his company but the guy won't sell!

Check out the inset picture on the cover. John Collins and the JVC sponsored car. Haven't seen any pictures of that car in a while.

My dad and I toured Bob's shop in 1982-83 while this car was being built. I've often wondered what come of it. Often, when it rains us out, we lament over how this concept could be applied with today's technology. Mono-shock/swing-arm rear suspension, lightweight strut front suspension, carbon fiber body, big HP big block, and today's engine/ignition management systems. Dare to be different! I'd keep the Indy car look, too. Could be an idea worth revisiting and build a multi-purpose dragster for the modern sportsman racing environment.

Check out the inset picture on the cover. John Collins and the JVC sponsored car. Haven't seen any pictures of that car in a while.

I loved that car... stuck with the crower injector for a long time too. Too bad the only highlight reels that car is in, is the bad 2 car crash with the ACE, and being in the other lane when KB ran the first FC 260.

I loved that car... stuck with the crower injector for a long time too. Too bad the only highlight reels that car is in, is the bad 2 car crash with the ACE, and being in the other lane when KB ran the first FC 260.

John is still in the Tulsa area, selling cars for a local dealership.

Here is a picture of this car from the 80's that I knew I had.

One of these days I'll get to going through all my Dad's old photos.

-stan

Stan, awesome photos. I'd almost think you were an Amato fan? Or a Geri fan? I remember that hairdo!

Those are some great old photos! Here's a little trivia: I'm prety sure the bantam A/A called Poverty Stricken was ran by Pete Gallen, who later was one of the first 5 sec. TA/Fcs and Rich McPhillips, who races A/fuel now. I could be wrong, anyone know?

I thought Ace and Collins crash was at the Cajuns???? I must have watched Decade of thrills a million times!

Joe, it was at the Cajuns. 1984.

The best part about the video, (besides them getting out ok) is some of the safety crew arriving on horseback! :eek: I don't know if decade of thrills shows that, but the original broadcast does.

Nunzio you are right Peter & Rich were #1 Q at the div. race @ E/town had the choice to run first pair & didn't Newb went 1st & ran the first 5 can't remember which pair P&R ran but they also went in the 5s.

Didn't that Jenkins car get into a Top Fuel field somewhere when not enough cars showed up ??? I seem to remember something about it....time has wasted most of the memory... :)

That almost happened... We were at Bristol Tenn at an IHRA event when Joe Amato and Connie Kalitta approached us and asked "can you run nitro in that thing?" Bob thought about doing it but the licensing to run T/F wasn't there but it was pretty cool for them to ask!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back