Gainseville question(s). (1 Viewer)

i've never seen anyone bother the drivers at the ale house. you'd have to be a major league geek to bother them there when you can ask em all day in the pits..

LOL, when I was at E-town in '03 we went to stuf-yur-face (remember them?) and waiting for a seat besides us was Clay Millican. He chatted with us for 15 minutes or so.

But yeah, I wouldn't ask them for autographs or anything. I would just say Hi or something, or "nice run" or something like that.

i've never seen anyone bother the drivers at the ale house. you'd have to be a major league geek to bother them there when you can ask em all day in the pits..

Most of the racing people there are pretty easy going. How you approach anyone makes a huge difference on the reaction you'll get.

Don't forget Sonny's BBQ

Did you know that is the original Sonny's?

The wife and I will be there Friday through Sunday. We are taking a couple of friends who have been to a couple of bracket races but never a national event. I will have the camera focused on them when the first fuel car is warmed up on Friday. Should be fun. Love that track and town.

Killer pizza

There is a killer pizza place in Gainesville called Satchel's (http://www.satchelspizza.com/). It is notable to most Gainesvillians. Their advertising campaign is that they "Pay a Living Wage" (their pies aren't cheap though) and they have a bar/weird stuff museum out back. Their tables out front include an old abandoned VW bus. Sounds crazy but the pizza is great.

Also, there is a great Italian joint off of 75 and Newberry called Napolitano's Caution: they do have Karaoke on Sunday nights but the food is good and the service is AWESOME. Say hi to Lindsay for me.

Last edited:
Tony, the link to Satchel's Pizza did not work for me. They may have their site down for maintenance. Anyway, what part of town is it located in? There isn't much of anything near the track I can guarantee you that. The Ale House and restaurants near it which are off the Archer Rd. exit on I-75 are a good 15-20 miles from the track, but most of the hotels/motels are located off that exit and the exits before and after that.

Location of Satchel's Pizza

Tony, not sure why the link you published didn't work for me, but this link will: Welcome to Satchel's Pizza . I Googled it and it brought the site right up. And, then I did a MapQuest on it, and turns out it is not far from the track, maybe 5-6 miles. It's just off Waldo Rd. on 23rd Ave. which looks to be about a mile from the intersection of 39th Ave & Waldo Rd. which is the intersection closest to the Gainsville Airport. Just might have to check this place out. Samuel, you might get your pizza fix after all. :D

Tony, the link to Satchel's Pizza did not work for me. They may have their site down for maintenance. Anyway, what part of town is it located in? There isn't much of anything near the track I can guarantee you that. The Ale House and restaurants near it which are off the Archer Rd. exit on I-75 are a good 15-20 miles from the track, but most of the hotels/motels are located off that exit and the exits before and after that.
i stayed at the gainsville hilton in october when i went to frank hawleys school there, the hilton if you can get a room is awesome, its right off archer road on 34th street, archer road defiantly has everything and 10-15 min away from the track.

One word of advice, however - get there early. Since there's only one main road into the track, things can back up if you try to sleep in.

If you can find somebody who knows "the back way in," use it on Saturday and Sunday - it's longer, but quicker.

Did you know that is the original Sonny's?

The wife and I will be there Friday through Sunday. We are taking a couple of friends who have been to a couple of bracket races but never a national event. I will have the camera focused on them when the first fuel car is warmed up on Friday. Should be fun. Love that track and town.

Yes sir....the one near the airport. There was 3 in Gainsville. The one by the airport, th eon on 13th and one on Archer out by I-75.
Do you remember back in the late 70's KB had one of his Chelsa Strret Pubs in the Gainesville Mall?

I lived up the road from you in Brandon from 72 to 95. We have probably seen each other...maybe even raced against each other at Bradenton, Sunshine, Lakeland, Twin City, Tampa Dragway, or even Orlando.

One word of advice, however - get there early. Since there's only one main road into the track, things can back up if you try to sleep in.

If you can find somebody who knows "the back way in," use it on Saturday and Sunday - it's longer, but quicker.

Heck yes,,,the back way is the only way to go Friday thru Sunday. You'll think you're going off into Deliverence land, but trust me,,,,,you'll be gald you made the trip. You'll be back at your motel while most people are still a mile from the track.

If I am not mistaken, they force some cars to the right when the days events are over with...that's the back way folks. Use it coming to the track in the morning and you won't be disappointed

Yes sir....the one near the airport. There was 3 in Gainsville. The one by the airport, the one on 13th and one on Archer out by I-75.
Do you remember back in the late 70's KB had one of his Chelsa Strret Pubs in the Gainesville Mall?

I lived up the road from you in Brandon from 72 to 95. We have probably seen each other...maybe even raced against each other at Bradenton, Sunshine, Lakeland, Twin City, Tampa Dragway, or even Orlando.

I don't recall the Chelsea Street Pub, but many years ago I ate in one of those in a mall somewhere. My memory is not what it used to be.

I raced at Bradenton and Sunshine regulary in the 80's and early 90's, so our paths have certainly crossed.

Brandon area continues to grow.

Brandon area continues to grow.

Indeed it does - my wife and I got out of there just as they were widening Providence in 1999 and moved to Plant City. It looked like Brandon was fixing to implode on itself. This was when that area behind Lowe's was a field with cows.

Anyway, back on topic and a few questions from an NHRA-Major-Event-Noob :)

If I go on Friday, what time would be good to arrive?
Is the Manufacturer's Midway open on Friday?
Can anyone give me directions to "the back way"?

I'm not sure what the back way is, but I go U.S.301 to SR 225.

Mfgr's midway is open on Friday.

I try to arrive as early as possible,I'm usually there by 7am.

Will hopefully make it back this year, missed last years race. Love it out in gnv, great track, and always an awesome race!

Well a slight change in plans, and I'm very excited:D We're going Sunday instead of Friday. I just ordered the tickets, got Pit Side, Section A, Row 32, seats 1 & 2 :eek: I can't wait!

If I go on Friday, what time would be good to arrive?
Is the Manufacturer's Midway open on Friday?

Dave, the best answer to that is get there as early as you can. I typically drive up on Friday morning from Orlando and don't get there until 10:00-10:30am which is not as early as I would like, but then again I can't make myself get up at 4:00 or 5:00am to get there when the gates open. ;)

I've never used the "back way" although it sounds like it is the quicker way in once you get close to the track. Looking on a map, I would say it would mean you would want to find your way North to NW 156th Ave which turns into NE 156th Ave and as you are driving East on that road, you would turn South on NE 39th St. which is what Gainseville Raceway is on. I just might have to try this route this year.

My typical route from Orlando has been to get off I-75 at the last Gainesville exit, which is NW 39th Ave and I take that East (approx 10 miles) all the way to Waldo Rd. (SR 24) and then go North on Waldo Rd. past the first turn off to get on NE 39th street and instead go further North about 1-2 miles and turn left at NE 77th Ave which is also known as Fairbanks St. and you are then heading West about 1/2 mile to NE 39th St. and this dumps you out at the Gainesville Raceway Campgrounds. Turn Right onto NE 39th St. and you are about 1-2 miles South of the track and usually I get into the parking lot (on the Right) in less than 10 min. Google Maps (or any map program) can show you all the streets quite well. Yes, the Manufacturer's Midway is open on Friday. Good day to go as it saves you some bucks to get in and is not as crowded as Sat. or Sun. and still get to see two Pro Qualifying sessions. Have a great time and maybe we will see you there.

Dave, the best answer to that is get there as early as you can. I typically drive up on Friday morning from Orlando and don't get there until 10:00-10:30am which is not as early as I would like, but then again I can't make myself get up at 4:00 or 5:00am to get there when the gates open. ;)

I've never used the "back way" although it sounds like it is the quicker way in once you get close to the track. Looking on a map, I would say it would mean you would want to find your way North to NW 156th Ave which turns into NE 156th Ave and as you are driving East on that road, you would turn South on NE 39th St. which is what Gainseville Raceway is on. I just might have to try this route this year.

My typical route from Orlando has been to get off I-75 at the last Gainesville exit, which is NW 39th Ave and I take that East (approx 10 miles) all the way to Waldo Rd. (SR 24) and then go North on Waldo Rd. past the first turn off to get on NE 39th street and instead go further North about 1-2 miles and turn left at NE 77th Ave which is also known as Fairbanks St. and you are then heading West about 1/2 mile to NE 39th St. and this dumps you out at the Gainesville Raceway Campgrounds. Turn Right onto NE 39th St. and you are about 1-2 miles South of the track and usually I get into the parking lot (on the Right) in less than 10 min. Google Maps (or any map program) can show you all the streets quite well. Yes, the Manufacturer's Midway is open on Friday. Good day to go as it saves you some bucks to get in and is not as crowded as Sat. or Sun. and still get to see two Pro Qualifying sessions. Have a great time and maybe we will see you there.

Thanks Kurt, I appreciate the info. A hotel at this stage in the game is out of the question, at least one that's less than $300/night ;) We'll be staying with my in-laws in Old Town (Dixie County) the night before so we'll be heading due east from there early Sunday morning. I'll put your directions to use once we get closer to the track. Thanks again!

Here is a link to the G-Ville Raceway web site with the directions.

Gainesville Raceway: Locator Map and Driving Directions

The "back way" directions are the first ones described -- "Traveling South on I-75..." The directions sound confusing, but are not when you are on the road, plus there are directional signs along the way to help.

I am not sure if going this way makes a lot of difference on Friday, but on Saturday and Sunday this is the only way to go, especially if you arrive by 8:30-9:00 or so. You will be parked near the tower and the beer and food in your cooler will be a short walk from the pits.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back