Finish Line Grandstands (1 Viewer)

Brian

Nitro Member
I love to sit at the finish line yet I'm amazed how many tracks don't have stands there. Is this an NHRA safety thing or am I missing something?

I usually take a trip to Joliet's finish line during qualifying but never during a race... to much action at the starting line to miss:)

The finish line is the place to be in the "Super" classes though!

Does Heartland Park Topeka still have them at the finish line? They used to have some old wooden stands if I remember right on the Pit side that we used to sit in. Probably sat no more than 100-200 people. How's my memory?

:confused:

To me, the best seats out of all the tracks I've been too are the finish line seats at Dallas. Right at the finish line on the pit side and its open seating.

Does Heartland Park Topeka still have them at the finish line? They used to have some old wooden stands if I remember right on the Pit side that we used to sit in. Probably sat no more than 100-200 people. How's my memory?

:confused:
Those are supposed to be reserved for the Sportsman racers. Problem being, by the time the Sportsman racers get over there the stands are full of spectators. There is no enforcement and the Sportsman racers have no place to spectate from because all the pit side seating is reserved.

Those are supposed to be reserved for the Sportsman racers. Problem being, by the time the Sportsman racers get over there the stands are full of spectators. There is no enforcement and the Sportsman racers have no place to spectate from because all the pit side seating is reserved.

You are right about that Greg.
Also like Tommy said, it is the best place to watch Sportsman racers, especially great finish line racers like Biondo, Fletcher, Richardsons, Rampy, etc.

I usually take a trip to Joliet's finish line during qualifying but never during a race... to much action at the starting line to miss:)

The finish line is the place to be in the "Super" classes though!

I always thought the best place to be during the "super" classes was at the beer stand?:):)

Yes I love watching as close to the finish line as I can get. It's much quieter, you get a real feel for the speed, and it's a bit surreal to hear the noise from the start line and seeing the tree and seeing them come towards you. I USED to be able to park my chair at the finish line at our track here last year, but they've fenced it all off now... :(

Back in the old days I remember standing at the fence (2 feet of Armco) and being trackside as the TF's and FC's zoomed by... Wow, those were the days.

Back in the old days I remember standing at the fence (2 feet of Armco) and being trackside as the TF's and FC's zoomed by... Wow, those were the days.

A bit to close for comfort, but a nice view I can imagine... It would just take one flying part or a mild crash to end your day though...

CJ Curtsinger

when i've already walked a mile to, around and back from the pits
where i had my fill of nitro and decibels, then return to my camper
where the finish line stands are a few steps away, they are a very
welcome relief; especially when it's over 90 degrees.
i also enjoy the 'light faster than sound' effect.

To me, the best seats out of all the tracks I've been too are the finish line seats at Dallas. Right at the finish line on the pit side and its open seating.

Never been to Dallas, but the finish line at Pomona is a great place to see and feel a 300+mph Pass. GA seating with only the return road between you and the track.

Finish line seats at LVMS are great too, and it's restricted to racers, gotta have a credential to get in and they check for them too.

Top end bleachers at the County, or the Hot Car staging area....

At Richmond I stood all day at the 660 cone.... the kick up at the 1000 cones to the jerseys you lost the cars... and no PA after 660....

just anything pass half track.... is where I'm at:D

I like to be at about 1000 foot. Maple Grove, on the spectator side, had a nice little hill there that gave about a perfect view down track. There also used to be some bleachers down there, but the ESPN crew has put all there trucks and trailers there so they are gone now.:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back