Ear protection? (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I am amazed at how many people I see at races that don't wear ear
protection. Does anyone have a clue why they would do something like that?
I can understand not bothering if one's hearing is already shot, but what about
those of us who haven't got tinnitus (yet)?

My rational brain is freaking out trying to comprehend this... Maybe it's not rational?

I only attend 1-2 races a year and never wear ear plugs or anything. I just think it rumbles through you more/ is way more exciting. I don't know anything about what the sound does to my ears... but I definitely know its not good. I know im sounding really dumb for admitting this right now but thought Id just put it out there. Maybe ill read something on here that will change my mind

I don't wear ear plugs but after years of loud music and racing, maybe I don't notice it as much.

What did you say?. . . man you gota relax. . but to be honest, when I am working on my own or someone elses car, I gota hear the motor. I tried ear protectors once while sitting in the funny car and couldn't stand the sound. I gota hear it to feel comfortable of the sound. I can tell when it's happy!

What did you say?. . . man you gota relax. . but to be honest, when I am working on my own or someone elses car, I gota hear the motor. I tried ear protectors once while sitting in the funny car and couldn't stand the sound. I gota hear it to feel comfortable of the sound. I can tell when it's happy!

I will relax when I am dead, but then rigor mortis will set in and so much for that! :D

i dont wear them in the stands, but i do on the starting line.....i usually peel them off if the car isnt sounding right so i can get a better listen

I've been using for 20 years and still got tinnitus.My doctor says it's a mild case but I gotta sleep with the a/c or tv on to block the damn ringing.

Tom, not sure if I mentioned this to you at the Tasca show, but Nitro and Jets really don't bother me. I do have some damage to my hearing, and I am 99% sure that it was from a few starting line sessions of Top Alcohol. It was those darn high-winding, high pitched, blown demons that did it.

To this day, certain frequencies actually hurt, so depending on what I'm watching and how close, I may put some plugs in.

Always wear ear protection, these days. For the rock-n-roll stuff, too. Wish I would’a started the habit when I was a kid. I’m almost fifty, and certainly don’t hear as well as I once did. Too many years of skil-saws, motorsports, and rockin’ out down front…

Tom, not sure if I mentioned this to you at the Tasca show, but Nitro and Jets really don't bother me. I do have some damage to my hearing, and I am 99% sure that it was from a few starting line sessions of Top Alcohol. It was those darn high-winding, high pitched, blown demons that did it.

To this day, certain frequencies actually hurt, so depending on what I'm watching and how close, I may put some plugs in.

I remember you telling me about hearing loss, but I don't recall the specifics.
Some of the people at the Tasca event that didn't have ear protection
astounded me. Especially the guy who used to crew for Tasca. :eek:

I've been around Auto racing since the 60's when I was just 7 years old. And back then nobody ran Mufflers! When I went to my First NHRA Natl. In '89 I tried listening to the Fuel cars without ear protection, and it Hurt something fierce! I don't wear earplugs but I always cover up when they stage. having said that I have hearing loss...

I was on the starting line at the divisional race at Sears Point this year and I been going to drag races all my life, but those alcohol cars hurt my ears! never had a problem with nitro. maybe there somthing there...

I've been going to races since 1966 and used to think it was cool to not wear ear plugs at the races and rock concerts.
In 2006 I got my left ear drum blasted by David Grubnic's car when it was on display at the Wal Mart store just across the street from Wal Mart's headquarters. The crew fired the car to give the uninitiated a sense of what a nitro car sounds like.
I was concentrating on taking pictures and just didn't think I needed ear plugs because I thought they were just going to idle the engine. Well, they whacked the throttle once and it got me.
I now have a 35% hearing loss in my left ear. That taught me to put ear plugs in as soon as I get to the track and whenever I go to a concert.
Once you lose your hearing, there's no getting it back.

Just got two pairs of -22 dB pink ear muffs off eBay last week for the Mrs. and my daughter (7 yo). My son (4 yo) and I already had our own pairs we used at St. Louis this year. We're heading to Ennis on Saturday!

i dont protect my ears but i think its crazy some people dont make there kids, i make my kids wear protection until there at an older age, at that time its there decision , also crazy is the people that have dogs not far from the cars

Been around race cars since I was born practically, I think I stopped using ear protection when I was ten lol. Whoever said it about the alcohol cars are right, I can listen to top sportsman, dragster, comp, stock etc all day with nothing but those damn alky cars make me put my fingers in my ears, must be the blown cars because the injected don't bother me.

Been around race cars since I was born practically, I think I stopped using ear protection when I was ten lol. Whoever said it about the alcohol cars are right, I can listen to top sportsman, dragster, comp, stock etc all day with nothing but those damn alky cars make me put my fingers in my ears, must be the blown cars because the injected don't bother me.
A video I did and it hurt!

Login | Facebook

Last edited:
I finger-plug mine when the fuel classes run, and at our local track when they run Junior Dragsters, which for some reason have the most annoying idle of any vehicle in motorsports.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back