Ear protection? (1 Viewer)

Well, THIS Mater wears plugs/muffs for almost all high-HP cars (TF, FC, Alky and blown PM). For me the protection is vital for any blown car whether it's alky or nitro. I think there's something about the high frequency whine of the blower that pushes it into the "must" category. Nitrous PM and PS I do the "fingers in ears until they clear 60 feet" trick. Anything below that I'm usually okay without. I totally agree with the people saying you wouldn't grind without a faceshield - PPE is PPE no matter what the task.

I think that now for all the BLown classes, now! During the 90's I only covered up for the Fuel cars and I'm paying the price for it!

I've been going to races since 1966 and used to think it was cool to not wear ear plugs at the races and rock concerts.
In 2006 I got my left ear drum blasted by David Grubnic's car when it was on display at the Wal Mart store just across the street from Wal Mart's headquarters. The crew fired the car to give the uninitiated a sense of what a nitro car sounds like.
I was concentrating on taking pictures and just didn't think I needed ear plugs because I thought they were just going to idle the engine. Well, they whacked the throttle once and it got me.
I now have a 35% hearing loss in my left ear. That taught me to put ear plugs in as soon as I get to the track and whenever I go to a concert.
Once you lose your hearing, there's no getting it back.

Ted, I started going to drag races around that time too, and I "know" in those early years I never wore protection as it was so COOL to hear and feel and especially smell a nitro motor. Not sure when I started to take care of my hearing but I'm sure it was just in the past 10-20 years which means I didn't for about 20 years. Luckily I took a break from the Big Show nitro racing for awhile and now only go once or twice a year and ALWAYS wear ear plugs. Rock concerts in my youth were another stupid thing I used to think the louder the better, but somehow, with age comes wisdom, and it helps you figure out how wrong that is, and so far I think I still hear pretty good. Sounds like several people on this board are dealing with Tininitus and that is not a good thing to experience 24x7 doncha know. Maybe you 'Maters will take heed and realize good hearing is NOT something to take for granted. Sounds like a few need to hear this.

My dad has been going to the Nationals since the early '70's and countless special night shows in between.

Yet, he NEVER wears earplugs at all no matter what car is running. He has no hearing loss and at home if I make the TV volume louder he asks me to turn it down. Weird. :confused:

Unless of course the TV is showing racing. Then he has no problem with the volume. :D

My dad has been racing since the mid 50's and too is now hearing imparered in one ear he didnt start wearing protection till about 8 years ago. He started taking me to the races at 2 weeks old and I dont remember using ear protection and had school nurse found some hearing loss in the old hearing test we did in grade school. I now use plugs when ever I am warming the car and at the line.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back