New Idea on Finish Line Grandstands.... (1 Viewer)

preacher

Nitro Member
How about a spectator bridge, about 20' behind the finish line, about 25' above the track surface, built strong enough to withstand any impact and be able to protect the spectators with "Stadium Seating" ;) ... with premuim ticket prices as a extra revenue source!?!?

I feel it would bring a whole new dimension to the sport and to the senses:)

That would be awesome, but look back at Larry Dixon and Tony Shumachers crashes in the lights a few years ago, both going skyward about 25 feet in the air, and im not so sure they could build anything like that that would keep you from being injured. Plus you might get some drunk that would fall out onto the track, haha

That would be awesome, but look back at Larry Dixon and Tony Shumachers crashes in the lights a few years ago, both going skyward about 25 feet in the air, and im not so sure they could build anything like that that would keep you from being injured.

...or that any track could afford to insure, if any company would even insure it.

Is the Goodyear bridge at Firebird in Phoenix before or after the finish line? (I cant remember) The first time I was there for a National event I remember being excited to watch a top fuel pass from the bridge.... until I found out they closed it off during the event. :mad:

Unfortunately, I don't think they would ever build a spectating bridge near the finish line for safety and insurance reasons but you're right..... It would be a cool place to watch the race from. :)

Is the Goodyear bridge at Firebird in Phoenix before or after the finish line? (I cant remember) The first time I was there for a National event I remember being excited to watch a top fuel pass from the bridge.... until I found out they closed it off during the event. :mad:

Unfortunately, I don't think they would ever build a spectating bridge near the finish line for safety and insurance reasons but you're right..... It would be a cool place to watch the race from. :)

It's quite a ways past the finish line, and I was pretty bummed too after walking all the way down there to get a big fat NO. Sure is fun down there, though.

Not only is it crazy but no insurance company would go for it. I love the idea watching from a pair from a bridge but between blower belts and explosions, plus the chance of someone going airborn there it jst can't happen.

I've always wondered why tracks don't just build a hill off to the side. Much like many outdoor concert venues. No expense or maintenance of grandstands but Still allows for more seating. With it being built higher up it could keep people above and crash.

It's quite a ways past the finish line, and I was pretty bummed too after walking all the way down there to get a big fat NO. Sure is fun down there, though.

Maybe that is why I couldn't remember..... It's seems closer when you're on a golf cart! :D

I still think the coolest thing would be if they could create a dome, that would be awesome, racing all year around, can you imagine the noise and vibration in a dome, it would almost be better than sex, ALMOST!

Mark there are 2 bridges, the First one is past the Finishline by about 100' The 2nd one is like 500' past the Finishline.

Tommy G. great post even if it's probably not practical. Raceway Park in Indy used to have a spectator bridge over the bleach box. I don't know if it's still there. If you happened to be in the center during a fuel car burnout it was mind numbing. If you're not at the top end during a pedal fest you're not going to see much.

I still think the coolest thing would be if they could create a dome, that would be awesome, racing all year around, can you imagine the noise and vibration in a dome, it would almost be better than sex, ALMOST!

Ever been to a tractor pull indoors? Its just not the same, in fact its down right painful to the ear drums. I'll never go to another one

That would be awesome, but look back at Larry Dixon and Tony Shumachers crashes in the lights a few years ago, both going skyward about 25 feet in the air, and im not so sure they could build anything like that that would keep you from being injured. Plus you might get some drunk that would fall out onto the track, haha

Just sign your life away as a spectator, or driver participant.

You can't leave your bed in the moring without some type of calculated
risk involved... It would take more guts as a driver and more guts as a spectator
and separate this extreme sport from the wimpy ones:eek:

Is the Goodyear bridge at Firebird in Phoenix before or after the finish line? (I cant remember) The first time I was there for a National event I remember being excited to watch a top fuel pass from the bridge....

Fireturd has two bridges. One crosses over the race track about 1000' beyond the finish line. It continues over the return road beyond that to the East. Although it used to be open during the races to get spectators from the parking lot into the sportsman pits, they have since parked people in another city and let they walk around the lake to enter the facility virtually closing any need to use that crossover bridge.
There is another bridge that's always open over the staging lanes from the vendor alley to the bleachers.

Didn't Eddie Hill have a couple "through the lights" blow overs, too? It would be very ugly to see a car in that situation get wrapped around a bridge. On the other hand... that would be a friggin awesome place to watch runs. They could make a killing on those tickets. I've been on a bridge during a Champ Car race before and it was really impressive.

Mark there are 2 bridges, the First one is past the Finishline by about 100' The 2nd one is like 500' past the Finishline.

Could be Joe, I didn't make it there last year, But I remember the Goodyear bridge crossing from the end of the parking area by Bob Bondurant's over the shut down and return road. Never went any further, I got some pics, I'll have to look.

I remember an article back in the day (late 70's- early 80's :confused:) in SS&DI (still :confused:) that had illustrations of that same concept- very oriented around football style stadium seating and a roof. The article came around the time that noise restrictions were just starting to become big news... Someone please help me with my C.R.S. disease and let me know that article did run somewhere....:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back