Figured i'd put this here. (1 Viewer)

I must send along my seniments on this issue.......

I hope you smash your ding-ding on the dang steering wheel after you hit a bump in the road while you are racing! That way we are safe from the procreation of more dunderheads!!!

Don't be a complete idiot! There are plenty of tracks around the country where you can strut your stuff! It just makes no sense to me how people can be that selfish! I feel that the illegal street racers are only feeding their egos and don't give a damn about anyone elses safety. I have seen too many people killed over the years. As a matter of fact......that is what started the teenage suicides in Plano back in the early 80's. It was an illegal race gone terribly wrong.

Sorry........I just think in this day and age people would be a little smarter. I guess not!

Sorry, when there are safer ways to do this available to the public and you choose to partake in the dangerous way, then I have no sympathy for you!

I will take a cookie now!!!:D

It was ALWAYS American V-8 muscle cars. You could buy a rolling 2 door Nova body for $400 and someone would say you paid too much!

Gee Ron, $400?? Must of had a 4.11 12 bolt posi and a new set of S/S Cragars, huh.:)

Just so happens I bought my 69 Chevelle SS for $400. It had a small block in it and the car lot thought it was a phony. 12 bolt rear, Turbo 400, sat up a little in the front with the small block, correct SS wheels, rings, and caps. Correct interior, including horseshoe shifter and the linkage to unlock it from the column. If it was a clone, someone changed steering columns.

What sucks is that while I was out of town for a year, a cousin stripped all the SS stuff, REPLACING it with his non SS (flat hood, 10 bolt rear end, etc). A few years later I sold the rolling body for $100. AARRGGHH!!! :mad:

I'll never forget dropping my first big block in that car, the difference in the visual appearance. Got it all buttoned up early on a Sunday morning and fired it up, open headers! Was a solid lifter 402 that ran mid sixes in the 1/8 out of a friend's back halved 68 Camaro. What fun it was to build that car. Anyone remember Appliance headers?

Last edited:
SS Cragars are awesome!

This thread reminds me of some stories my dad told me. Yes, he used to street race. On the garden state parkway, before it goes into I-87 (aka the NY State thruway) it's a perfect 1/4 mile so that's where they did it. They did it late at night as there were no cars around and it wasn't really enforced by cops. Later on they moved to E-town when the state troopers caught wind of it. This was in the 70's.

When I lived on the northeast side of Atlanta over 20 years ago (Clarkston, Tucker), it was industrial parks late at night. Flat, straight, and you could see other headlights for a long ways off. I remember some kid had a BAD tubbed 64 El Camino with a twin Dominator topped big block Ford.

Just so happens I bought my 69 Chevelle SS for $400. It had a small block in it and the car lot thought it was a phony. 12 bolt rear, Turbo 400, sat up a little in the front with the small block, correct SS wheels, rings, and caps. Correct interior, including horseshoe shifter and the linkage to unlock it from the column. If it was a clone, someone changed steering columns.

What sucks is that while I was out of town for a year, a cousin stripped all the SS stuff, REPLACING it with his non SS (flat hood, 10 bolt rear end, etc). A few years later I sold the rolling body for $100. AARRGGHH!!! :mad:

I'll never forget dropping my first big block in that car, the difference in the visual appearance. Got it all buttoned up early on a Sunday morning and fired it up, open headers! Was a solid lifter 402 that ran mid sixes in the 1/8 out of a friend's back halved 68 Camaro. What fun it was to build that car. Anyone remember Appliance headers?

Oh yeah, I remember Appliance headers--screwed up my 72 GTO putting on a set. When I was in high school, RHS had a store in Little Rock. Ivars' younger brother Russ ran the deal, and every Wednesday I would get paid at the grocery store where I worked, and every Thursday I would blow most of it at RHS. Those were the days!!!!:D

Oh yeah, I remember Appliance headers--screwed up my 72 GTO putting on a set. When I was in high school, RHS had a store in Little Rock. Ivars' younger brother Russ ran the deal, and every Wednesday I would get paid at the grocery store where I worked, and every Thursday I would blow most of it at RHS. Those were the days!!!!:D

I had an account at the local auto parts store, owned by a drag racer. Every week I'd cash my paycheck, then go there to make a payment! It seemed like I could get everything done for so little money as a teenager.

Seems we have a lot of "Hollier than thou" replies on this one, but the fact remains street racing is wreckless and dangerous.

Not holier than thou's, just people who've seen the catastrophic effects of street racing and know people who have to deal with those effects all their lives.

I just wanted peoples opnions on this subject,and surely got it!:)

I have participated in a few back road street races.Yes it is/was illegal. But most people break the law EVERYDAY is some way,shape,or form. Whether it be running a relight or robbing a bank.

I will say we sure do miss the little dirt hole 1/8th mile Jax Raceways that use to be here in Jacksonville. Gainesville is about 75-80 miles from us.

I also saw somewhere,that someone mentioned that street rds. were not meant for drag racing. Heck,when i raced jr. dragsters i went down a few tracks that should'nt have been meant for racing!

I did not mean for this to be an arguement,and if i hit a sore spot on anyone,i apologize. Just wanted to see what people thought. And maybe hear some stories from the good ol' days back in the 70's-80's

James, if the truth be told, most if not all here, have done it. Yes it's wrong, illegal, and dangerous. We don't do it anymore or condone it. Where were you going with your post, before they got out the torches and pitchforks. :D

I hope you smash your ding-ding on the dang steering wheel after you hit a bump in the road while you are racing! That way we are safe from the procreation of more dunderheads!!!

Wow being a lil hypocritical arent we?

Cant let anyone street race because its illegal/dangerous but its OK to wish for bad things on other people?

Nice...

I just wanted peoples opnions on this subject,and surely got it!:)

I have participated in a few back road street races.Yes it is/was illegal. But most people break the law EVERYDAY is some way,shape,or form. Whether it be running a relight or robbing a bank.

I will say we sure do miss the little dirt hole 1/8th mile Jax Raceways that use to be here in Jacksonville. Gainesville is about 75-80 miles from us.

I also saw somewhere,that someone mentioned that street rds. were not meant for drag racing. Heck,when i raced jr. dragsters i went down a few tracks that should'nt have been meant for racing!

I did not mean for this to be an arguement,and if i hit a sore spot on anyone,i apologize. Just wanted to see what people thought. And maybe hear some stories from the good ol' days back in the 70's-80's

Hey man I think your post got stollen from its original point...

I used to do a lil street racing back in high school. Had an 84 Z28, 305 HO at the time. Never got into anything big and organized. Just some holeshots from the light and a couple full out on back roads.

Hey "Boys will be boys"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back