Pro Mods vs Alky Cars (1 Viewer)

FC Girl

Nitro Member
Personally, I love them both and in reality, they are the same except for suspension and driver position (obviously other things too, but hopefully you get what I mean)

I Prefer the blown pro mods over nitrous but just because I drive a blown car and like those better when they wind out.

Just wondering what everyone else likes on here or if you have a distinct preference for one or the other................

This all stemmed from a press release that I posted on another site that I was told was not allowed because it was a Pro Mod. So I'm just curious what people really think about them.

And if this thread has been a topic before, Sorry about the repeat.

Last edited:
Tough call for me Nancy. I love them both, but I think I'd give the very slight nod to Pro Mod, only because of the vast array of body styles. I prefer the blown version cuz I think it looks bad a$$ with the blower and injector hat generally as high as the roof of the car.

I agree Mark, although they have been around for years, I just see a surge of potentially Huge Business opportunities that's bringing in the Drag Racing of the Future type of thinking.

TA/FC Is there anything else?

LOL!! I honestly didn't think so until about 6 months ago when I started racing with some Pro Mod Teams.

The education has been very enlightening, and just so Joe Sherwood doesn't bust my chops here, YES, I AM STILL DRIVING THE TA/FC LMAO!!!

I have to say Pro Mod, I love top alcohol funny car and dragster but any form of racing that can get a door car into the 5.70's is something I want to watch.

My heart is with the BB/FC... but the Blown Alky pro mods really remind me of the floppers I fell in love with in the Mid Sixties...

Is that clear as mud?

d'kid

TAFC for me over pro mod. Though I have always been and always will be a blown TAD guy. Even over all the pro categories.

Blown pro mod, followed by NOS pro mod, but I like em all. Pro mod because you open the door and get in like a "normal" car. I love Tim McAmis' chassis (not from driving them, just from looking at them).

I've got a buddy who drives one in the ADRL, and the more I learn about them the more I'm impressed with the lights they cut in those beasts.

As for 1/8th vs 1/4 mile . . . I'm fine with the 1/8th, they put on a heck of a show over just 660 feet.

TA/FC...and give back the 125% overdrive.

Where the "beating a dead horse" picture when you need one?

RG

Blown Pro Mod over Blown Alcohol FC/Dragster

- The races are more on the edge (from what Ive seen) keeping you on the edge of your seat
- The body styles are so much cooler then the FC's
- More of the engine sticks out of the front of the car, making it look way cooler.

Blown Alcohol FC/Dragster over Nitrous Pro Mod

- blown alcohol is louder
- blown cars look cooler
- blown cars have that cool whine when they take off

Long live the supercharger!

Nitrous Pro Mod and Injected Nitro I'd say throw them out so maybe people will switch to blown pro mod and blown Alcohol Dragster - otherwise keep those last two as their own class and eliminate PS bike and PS car.

Love them both equally.
We don't get to see much P/M out here on the West coast however. :(

Nancy,
Truth be said the different body's of the pro mod are the only swing I/We love the blown cars but the various body's of the mod's seals it.
Please do not take it personal Joe but the door's do it.

Last edited:
Turbocharged Pro Mods for me, for several reasons:

1. They have the potential, horsepower-wise, to rule that class, I think, as long as legislation doesn't kill them.

2. They are the underdog, right now, because of all the R & D that has gone into the blown and Nitrous cars; only a very few teams have tried to sort out the turbo cars, so far. Gotta love an underdog...

3. They are something decidedly different. The near "cookie cutter" blown Hemi and NOS cars (I'm talking about engines, not entire cars) have become similar, over the years, and the turbos offer something different, visually, and in terms of what the fans hear. I think that's good.

4. If you look at the MPH turned by Mike Moran's and Personnett's turbo cars, it becomes apparent that they make TONS of horsepower. That they have trouble getting it hooked, is another consideration. Time and research will probaby take care of that. Having said that, my #4 entry is that I believe the handwriting is on the wall, with these MPH figures. I believe that turbocharging is the wave of the future in Pro Mod.

Just my two-cents....

Seems like the Pro Mods have about caught the Alky floppers performance wise. I was standing at the fence just off the starting line when Personette ran 5.87 @ 246 at Charlotte. Obviously "turbo lag" has been handled. The most impressive run of the weekend for me - I've seen 4 wide before. This is coming from a guy who's never been a turbo fan and who ran a BB/FC. Pro Mods are 21st century AA/GS cars for me.

I like the diversity of the body styles that Pro Mod has to offer!
Same with the Nostalgia Fuel Funny cars, much more interesting looking than the spaceship Top Fuel Funny cars.
I would have to say that though Alky Funny cars, are usually painted better than Top Fuel Funny cars over the years.

Definatly Promods.. They are wild use all the track and you never know whats going to happen... They sometimes also play by the aa/fa rules of you choose your lane after 300 foot..lol

I used to be a huge blower motor fan but I have been converted to a nitrous guy.. I really like the nitrous header flame at night...

"I like my nitrous the way I like my woman, Rich and retarded"... lol

For me, TAFC followed closely by promod. Tad would be sEcond if they were all blown and not on nitro. There is just something about the way the blown alky cars leave the line, like they are ready to EXPLODE!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back