Pro Mods vs Alky Cars (1 Viewer)

To me it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. I like both equally, the normally close competition of the TA/FC's and the wild antics and diverse body styles of the pro mods. I would like to see injected nitro allowed in both classes, and see them both at all national events instead of the pro stock bikes.

coincidenially the quicked Doorslammer is a 5.73 from Scott Cannon @ the Shakedown @ E-town, this year they can go into the high/mid 5.60s, and the attempts at A/Fuel Outlaw on the ADRL tour shows the progression, now I wonder when will there be A/Fuel Funny Cars?

I don't remember when it was, exactly, maybe 30-35 years ago, but NHRA allowed unblown Nitro cars in Alcohol Funny Car. I remember, Gary Ostrich (Nevada, IA) had one...

Dunno how long they were in the rulebook, but I don't remember them being successful to the extent that the A/FD cars are, today.

It would be cool, to see them come back...

I don't remember when it was, exactly, maybe 30-35 years ago, but NHRA allowed unblown Nitro cars in Alcohol Funny Car. I remember, Gary Ostrich (Nevada, IA) had one...

Dunno how long they were in the rulebook, but I don't remember them being successful to the extent that the A/FD cars are, today.

It would be cool, to see them come back...

mid-seventies there were several killer injected nitro flops in pro comp... remember a camaro that was running .50's while everyone else was .70's... believe they won the title that season...

Do you remember the injected twin whale motor car that Gene and Don ran in AA/FD about 1970?

d'kid

TA/FC...and give back the 125% overdrive. RG

I was about four posts into this thread and thought about posting this exact same thing. But Randy beats me to it.
The overdrive rules killed TA/FC for me. (And most of the competitors.) But has been my favorite class in all of drag racing for decades. Bring back the overdrive and bring back my class!

allky funny cars I did work on a flew of them..simple and fast

Last edited:
Growing we up we went to divisionals often so I have alwasy loved Alky cars and watching so many drivers work their way through that on their way to nitro is cool.

With that said pro mod is just wicked awesome. I love the variety of cars and how they all have more of a personality then just giant billboards.

I'm torn because I really like them both. I wish they'd give the alky funny's back their 125% OD.

from a person who has driven both, here is my opinion... the funny car is the $hit!!! there is nothing like watching the body close with the motor rattling off at idle. there is nothing like firing down through at over 250 mph ! but from a buisness side, the pro-mod is the way to go. I made more money match racing, booked in "super chevy" shows, and local quick 8 races plus t-shirt sales in 1 year with the pro mod than 5 years with the funny. running the same motor except with a roots at 20% overdrive lengthened the longevety of parts, and most races were within 3 hours drive time. and i races 3 to 6 times a month. years ago all i did was matchrace funny cars and still didn't run that much. it's a shame but the truth!

Karl asked, "Do you remember the injected twin whale motor car that Gene and Don ran in AA/FD about 1970?"

Yeah; they should have called it "THE PASSENGER TRAIN"!!! LOL!

Why did NHRA eliminate the 125% overdriven blowers?

if i'm not mistaken, one of the reasons for lowering the overdrive was nhra was thinking it would make the roots blowers competitive. .

LOL!! I honestly didn't think so until about 6 months ago when I started racing with some Pro Mod Teams.

The education has been very enlightening, and just so Joe Sherwood doesn't bust my chops here, YES, I AM STILL DRIVING THE TA/FC LMAO!!!

Nancy is a racer! She'll drive anything she can get her hands on the steering wheel, and Pro mod has opened a door for her! And if it's ever between driving somebody elses car vs Driving your own on your own nickel, the choice is an easy one!

Me...I'm still a diehard FC guy, I really started getting into the Pro mods back in '01 when I first saw them at Indy because like Mark says the various body styles. But in the last 3-4 years the Pro mods have become very Cookie cutter. No more Iron Horse, Billy Harper's Viper, Marty McGinnis' 35 Chevy, and Al Torkleson's 55 ford. It's Camaro's, Vettes and '57 chevys all the time, except for Chip King's Superbird the diversity has faded away!

Pro mod had better be careful or they will become a FC class with Doors, look at the '53 Vettes and Camaro's from just 5-6 years ago and compare them to now, they don't look like the same cars anymore.

Last edited:
if i'm not mistaken, one of the reasons for lowering the overdrive was nhra was thinking it would make the roots blowers competitive. .

Bob Devore has his name all over that rule! He convinced the NHRA that "IF" they would lower the overdrive rule the Roots cars could compete! Guess he was wrong on that one!

The Top Alcohol Funny Cars are my favorite NHRA class.
TAFC is no longer a part of the Mile High Nationals, so I spend father's Day at the LODRS race to see them at the Lucas Oil divisional race at Bandimere Speedway.
I'd like to see Pro Mods at the Divisional level. I'd separate the A/FD cars from the blown ones and run an eight car field for each. Then, I'd bring back the winners from Pro/Mod, TAFC, TAD, and A/FD and race them off for a "Pro/Comp" winner. An adjustment would have to be made for E.T.'s of course, but I think it would help to bring back spectators to the divisional races.
Cheers,
Ed

Joe I cant agree with your statement of cookie cutter.... Here are a few body styles off the top of my head, I know for a fact are being used this year....

Viper
Duster
'70 Camaro
68 camaro
63 vette
41 willys
57 belair
53 corvette
07 GTO
68 firebird
55 belair
08 mustang
05 corvette
40 ford

Joe I cant agree with your statement of cookie cutter.... Here are a few body styles off the top of my head, I know for a fact are being used this year....

Viper
Duster
'70 Camaro
68 camaro
63 vette
41 willys
57 belair
53 corvette
07 GTO
68 firebird
55 belair
08 mustang
05 corvette
40 ford

Shane your right about the Dusters/Challengers, and I've never seen Charles Carpenter run since he is ADRL. But even the Camaro's/Firebirds are losing there factory look compared to a few years back

Guess I missed this thread b/c I was at Ennis this past weekend. For all of those who know me, this will be a shock, PRO MOD baby. I love it. Its my favorite class in the world. I have seen everything go down a racetrack and I will pick Pro Mod over everything else.

For those of you who havent checked out the ADRL, you need to. The ADRL is the best, non-stop, action packed drag racing series there is. There's nothing else close. If NHRA was in Houston, and ADRL was in Ennis on the same weekend, I'd go to Ennis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back