Figured i'd put this here. (1 Viewer)

James

Nitro Member
Does anyone street race? If so,what? I know how this thread may or may not go.(I have not read the rules,so if this is not allowed,please delete) Also If i'm out of line making this thread,mods please delete it. Just a curious question. I know ALOT worse threads have been posted here. Last but not least,street racing is a personal choice, so lets not get crazy with the replies,we ARE adults.. I think =)

You'd be hard pressed to find an individual here who will admit to the dangerous, reckless, frankly embarrasing to the sport of drag racing, and possibly immature 'sport' of street racing.

I personally have little respect for street racers, who put the lives of other motorists in danger. Period. Drag racing, of which this board was truly founded on, is dedicated to safety, and most drag racers, like myself denounce it because of the irresponisble nature of it.

I have not read the rules,so if this is not allowed,please delete)

I'm not a mod, and you seem to have a disregard for the rules anyway, but I suggest you go back and read them, if nothing else but not to look like a dunce for not reading the 'rulebook'.

Drag racing, of which this board was truly founded on, is dedicated to safety, and most drag racers, like myself denounce it because of the irresponisble nature of it.

Well said Jenn. Also remember that sanctioned drag racing (e.g. the NHRA) was created over 50 years ago to stop people from street racing.

Every couple of months around here there's a story on the news about somebody crashing their car in a street race, often with people (in and/or out of the car) dying. Not sure what the attraction is when every part of the country has strips with frequent open sessions where you can do it safely and without people getting killed. Want to prove that your 15 second Integra is faster than his Probe, do it there... :rolleyes:

I wasnt talkin about the dumb dim-wit ricers we see all over the news and weaving in and out of traffic. I was talking about the hardcore domestic muscle car guys who do it on the back roads and endanger no-one but themselves. I for one am all about safety. It's a personal choice for some.

I wasnt talkin about the dumb dim-wit ricers we see all over the news and weaving in and out of traffic. I was talking about the hardcore domestic muscle car guys who do it on the back roads and endanger no-one but themselves. I for one am all about safety. It's a personal choice for some.

I don't think it makes a difference if it's a yenko camaro or a rice burner, street racing is street racing and it's illegal. You still have variables that you cannot control, including people who take the backroads as a shortcut or to avoid the traffic who don't have a choice but to be endagered by illegal street racers.

I'm much against your 'personal choice' to street race, because I had a friend's father who was killed because a car went out of control and hit his vehicle.

If your "all about safety" why not do it at a track where there are safety rules and ambulances if needed?

So they close the roads? How do they assure that there's no other traffic?

Usually we have one person parked somewhere on the big end away from danger with nextels. We get a clear signal and send them. Hell we've VHT'd a few of the back rds. too lol.

Don't see too many people on back country rds. late at night very often.

There's far more dangerous and illegal stuff goin on then street racing. I'd love to see how many people drive drunk every night.But regardless,it is illegal too(street racin). I also concur,the only bad thing is not having an ambulance on site.

Yes I did it back in High School. Guys even towed cars out on trailers. I don't do it now, well maybe a 1st & 2and gear shot from the light just to knock the punk off his perch. Many of the older pro drag racers have been truthful and have admitted to it in the days of old.
It is something I would not want my kids doing, but that covers a lot of things. That as parents we did as teens and would not want our kids doing.

Usually we have one person parked somewhere on the big end away from danger with nextels. We get a clear signal and send them. Hell we've VHT'd a few of the back rds. too lol.

Don't see too many people on back country rds. late at night very often.

There's far more dangerous and illegal stuff goin on then street racing. I'd love to see how many people drive drunk every night.But regardless,it is illegal too(street racin). I also concur,the only bad thing is not having an ambulance on site.

Watch the video clip in my post, James.. It's not all about the ricers- it is the guys with the beefed up Cutlass or the dude with the ride that can't get past tech at the track. Kinda scary that with all the press about the multitude of dumb, preventable accidents in the past couple of years on the roads, some guys are still trying to justify this kind of activity.

And in regards to "dressing" the road with VHT and all that, remember that one of the main causes of the Troy Critchley crash was the fact that the road was built to be A ROAD- not a racetrack.. It had a peaked center and sloped off slightly on left and right for drainage, a surface that is akin to going off-roading with a high speed vehicle that is set up for a smooth flat track- we already hear stories about drag cars on drag strips reacting to the "bump" 60 feet out. How is racing on a surface that has NO design for going racing on being in any way intelligent?

No matter how much tack you might put down (probably for what- 20-30 feet?), the road surface that you accelerate down really wasn't designed for that kind of activity. So WHY would you do it????

The cops also take a dim view of street racing.
Around here you go to jail and so does your ride.
I know a guy that took a lawyer and fifteen thousand dollars [ including lost work time and lawyer] just to get his ride back.
The car was slightly Illegal in his county and the cops were going to keep it and make a DARE car out of it.

He finally got the car back after a hearing but of course the local constabulary had it in for him and the car so he had to sell his ride.

I really like having a Hot Rod that just happens to be a nice Corvette ! :)

Street racing is illegal. Period.

I really get a kick out of street racers who try to justify their illegal activities by saying.... "we do it where there is no traffic" or, "we are only putting ourselves in danger" etc, etc.

It's ILLEGAL!!! Have you forgot the definition of illegal?

It's a few minutes of adrenaline if you street race, but a lifetime of pain and regret if you kill somebody doing it. Not just your pain and regret either.

James, if the truth be told, most if not all here, have done it. Yes it's wrong, illegal, and dangerous. We don't do it anymore or condone it. Where were you going with your post, before they got out the torches and pitchforks. :D

Street racing is illegal. Period.

I really get a kick out of street racers who try to justify their illegal activities by saying.... "we do it where there is no traffic" or, "we are only putting ourselves in danger" etc, etc.

It's ILLEGAL!!! Have you forgot the definition of illegal?

I don't get so hung up on the illegal part. I'm sure most of us break one law or another. I'm sure a LOT of us, myself included, street raced when we were younger and (more!) stupid. I would drink and drive as a teenager, too. I did a LOT of things that I've grown out of. Why should anyone else's life be put at risk for something I irresponsibly do?

A lot of our street racing was done in front of an IGA grocery store. The highway through the mountains happened to be straight there so, you had a nice place for the bystanders to gather. I'd say the odds of someone innocent being able to get hurt there were pretty much nothing. I do remember what it was like to be hanging out late at night and you'd hear someone coming through the curves with something they'd just put together. The highway ran alongside a river and the sound would just carry up or down it.

It was ALWAYS American V-8 muscle cars. You could buy a rolling 2 door Nova body for $400 and someone would say you paid too much!

One of my better memories was a friend who would occasionally prove to people by taking their money that someone on foot could beat a car from light pole to light pole. :D

James, if the truth be told, most if not all here, have done it. Yes it's wrong, illegal, and dangerous. We don't do it anymore or condone it. Where were you going with your post, before they got out the torches and pitchforks. :D

Seems we have a lot of "Hollier than thou" replies on this one, but the fact remains street racing is wreckless and dangerous. A lot of us older guys have done it in the past, but as I tell my kids, the 60's and 70's were just a different time than now. For one thing, fewer cars on the road. For another, we had a little more respect for the law--and they didnt have to worry about busting us for racing and being out gunned. Probably the fastest street race cars I saw as a kid wouldnt get out of the 12 second range (most would not get out of the 14's). We just didnt have equipment capable of 8 second 160 mph quarter mile blasts. I once bought a street racer Chevelle that ran 9.40 at 145 mph at Memphis. Bought it to get the engine and trans and did a short burst out in front of the shop before I took it apart. It had no roll bar, a single factory bucket seat, and a factory lap belt. No way in he** would I have made a 9 second pass in that tub. Also our factory hot rods were not nearly as fast as todays factory hot rods. My 2007 Corvette would dust off most of the purpose built hot rods I had back in the day, let alone the stock ones. Then we all know what a nitrous bottle can do. Nuff said--bottom line street racing BAD, NHRA racing GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

It was ALWAYS American V-8 muscle cars. You could buy a rolling 2 door Nova body for $400 and someone would say you paid too much!

Gee Ron, $400?? Must of had a 4.11 12 bolt posi and a new set of S/S Cragars, huh.:)

I dated a guy when I was a freshman that had an '81 Z28 and a '78 Corvette. Yep, did some street racing. Illegal on two counts, since I was only 14.

If I catch my son even THINKING about it he will have his vehicle revoked! He'll be driving in just over a year and we have already bought him a '98 Jimmy. Not quite a vehicle condusive to racing, but who knows what goes through kids heads!

Oh, and btw THAT guy ended up dead street racing a motorcycle in '89.

Gee Ron, $400?? Must of had a 4.11 12 bolt posi and a new set of S/S Cragars, huh.:)

SS Cragars are awesome!

This thread reminds me of some stories my dad told me. Yes, he used to street race. On the garden state parkway, before it goes into I-87 (aka the NY State thruway) it's a perfect 1/4 mile so that's where they did it. They did it late at night as there were no cars around and it wasn't really enforced by cops. Later on they moved to E-town when the state troopers caught wind of it. This was in the 70's.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back