Evan Knoll rumor? (1 Viewer)

Well...at least you'll able to chose any seat you want.
And loving it!

Nothing like being at the finish line watching your friends work the stripe for the win!

Call me different... :p

I like being back in the trailer or motorhome after we've all raced, comparing time slips and telling "lies" about how we won the round.

Let me ask you this Joe, what would your response be to a first time national event spectator that ask the question, "why do those cars sound like they are coasting off the line then blast wide open..." ?

Would you give them a valid, well thought out response? Or would you perpetuate the newby's ignorance and belittle the participants for their choice of competition?

I'd tell them the reason is(I think?) to run as much speed on the Top end as possible while staying at the .90 index. I've explained that analogy more times than you'll know btw. And I've sat on the Big end during Super classes, most of the time the drivers are looking at each other and not the track. I bet that doesn't take place in Top Dragster/Sportsman!

I'd tell them the reason is(I think?) to run as much speed on the Top end as possible while staying at the .90 index. I've explained that analogy more times than you'll know btw.
You're pretty close. The only real answer is since the cars are capable of running much quicker than x.90, they use a timed throttle-stop device to slow the car down.

Having the higher mph can be an advantage but even the slower cars are running on the stop for a period of time.

And I've sat on the Big end during Super classes, most of the time the drivers are looking at each other and not the track. I bet that doesn't take place in Top Dragster/Sportsman!
What would you like to bet? I could use some extra cash... ;)

Interesting paragraph from the Top Comp site.

Name Change for NorCal Top Comp:

Starting in 2008, NorCal Top Comp will become the NorCal Top Dragster Series. The name change will reflect a more consistent image with that of the NHRA’s Sportsman categories. The name change will not affect the Series’ format with regards to the types of vehicles allowed to compete. The series will still be open to ALL vehicles capable of running 8.19 or quicker. NHRA category rules apply.

So you won't support the NHRA's sportsman races by attending and I understand that but the organization you race with wants to and I quote; "reflect a more consistent image with that of the NHRA’s Sportsman categories."

Kind of curious.. what must they be thinking?

...So you won't support the NHRA's sportsman races by attending and I understand that but the organization you race with wants to and I quote; "reflect a more consistent image with that of the NHRA’s Sportsman categories."

Kind of curious.. what must they be thinking?
Doug,

I'm not sure why that would be so confusing for you. But since I actually wrote that release I can tell you exactly what the thinking was...

1. Top Comp no longer exist as a category in either of the sanctioning bodies.

2. Since the NHRA rules are used to govern the Series it was decided that the name should reflect more closely an actual NHRA category to avoid confusion with potential series sponsors.

3. The overwhelming majority of racers who compete in the series drive dragsters, hence NorCal Top Dragster.

4. Because the Series doesn't want to restrict the types of vehicles that may compete, the original Top Comp E.T. break of 8.19 will remain.

As for why I would run a Series that "reflects a more consistent image with that of the NHRA’s Sportsman categories"...

Because of all the reasons I've posted previously. I get two races for one tow. I don't have to take extra days of vacation to attend the races. I get to race in a category that I love. The track owners are always happy to see us and appreciate our support of their facility. And I'm racing with my friends.

The desire to reflect a consistent image doesn't affect the actual racing.

Are you still confused?

Thats a very cool deal for the IHRA Pro MOds and Pro Stocks....

i likethe TF rails and the TF Funnys..but i love the Pro Mods....

TF = Godzilla.... mean and nasty.. and you know they are coming...
TF/FC = King Kong .... big strong .. and don't get in the way....
Pro Mod = A Tit Mouse on crack..... fast and un-predictable.....

:D:D:D

Billy

And loving it!

Nothing like being at the finish line watching your friends work the stripe for the win!

Call me different... :p

I like being back in the trailer or motorhome after we've all raced, comparing time slips and telling "lies" about how we won the round.

Your not Different! Any of us "SUPER CLASS" racers, If were not out there doing it, were LEARNING HOW THE OTHER GUYS ARE! I can't tell you how many WIN LIGHTS I have because I knew the other guys TENDANCIES! Those who want to improve, LEARN from watching those who WIN!:cool:

Your not Different! Any of us "SUPER CLASS" racers, If were not out there doing it, were LEARNING HOW THE OTHER GUYS ARE! I can't tell you how many WIN LIGHTS I have because I knew the other guys TENDANCIES! Those who want to improve, LEARN from watching those who WIN!:cool:

I am always trying to learn from other sportsman racers. I like to look at time trails at the starting line so I can see how drivers stage and then during eliminations, watch them at the finish line to see finish line driving or games they play. :)

Yeah, or looking straight down for the cell phone, CD, or whatever they apparently dropped while going dead-on taking a Mack truck sized stripe........

Sean D

They are looking at their down track counter to see when to hit the brakes.
(sorry could not resist :))

I am always trying to learn from other sportsman racers. I like to look at time trails at the starting line so I can see how drivers stage and then during eliminations, watch them at the finish line to see finish line driving or games they play. :)
Abso-freakin'-lutely, Armand!!

The average fan can't imagine the games that can be played on the starting line and at the stripe... how about the ole "front dump, restab"... LOL

Knowing someone's starting line routine is exceedingly important. Especially if they are dead set in their ways. There is a particular big name west coast Super racer who is so rigid in his staging that if you know how to work him he'll be red or .040 everytime.

I'm the type that it doesn't matter, I can change with the wind... so I always laugh a little when someone tries to pull some B.S. against me.

Abso-freakin'-lutely, Armand!!

The average fan can't imagine the games that can be played on the starting line and at the stripe... how about the ole "front dump, restab"... LOL

Knowing someone's starting line routine is exceedingly important. Especially if they are dead set in their ways. There is a particular big name west coast Super racer who is so rigid in his staging that if you know how to work him he'll be red or .040 everytime.

I'm the type that it doesn't matter, I can change with the wind... so I always laugh a little when someone tries to pull some B.S. against me.

You guys are right. Some of the games in the sportsman pits are awesome. Yesterday first round at the Div 4 IHRA Bracket Finals in Super Pro we had a several minute burndown!!! Awesome.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back