Evan Knoll rumor? (2 Viewers)

What exactly does back to back div. races on the same weekend mean? I'm not saying NHRA does everything right, not by any means. Like scheduling the Vegas Div. the week after the Natl? Sounds like someone at NHRA ate a second helping of Dumbass on that one!

It means if the division has a six race series to earn points, you only have to go to three tracks to compete in all six races, i.e. less fuel, less travel time, etc.

In NHRA (division 5) you have to go to Topeka, Brainerd, Earlville, Cordova, Great Bend, and Denver. That is a butt load of miles, not to mention 3 days at the track (except Topeka) plus travel time per event, just to run all six divisional races.

...Like scheduling the Vegas Div. the week after the Natl? Sounds like someone at NHRA ate a second helping of Dumbass on that one!
That statement right there shows how little you understand the perspective of the Sportsman racers.

As Jeremy intimated above, the expense of getting to and from an event is the most costly factor. Then consider that Sportsman racers have to show up even before the Pro do at National events... time is a precious commodity for those of us who have real jobs outside our racing.

Then after all the expense in time and money, you are treated like the bastard child... your racing experience "enhanced" through a laundry list of ways. And all the while being a paying customer.

Didn't Billy Meyer try that once? It didn't change one thing about what NHRA was doing. The IHRA was elevated when Billy ran it, had better races, full magazine, etc. They were up to par with NHRA as far as their events. Once he got out of it, seems like IHRA went backwards.
Billy Meyer lost his ass because of numerous rainouts. If this had not have happen, things would be a bit different now.

For one thing, they schedule back to back divisonal events on the same weekend, sat & sun, this helps with some of the travel expenses. Also at the few IHRA events I've been at they seem to be able to run a faster program, back to the two divisionals in one weekend. The car counts are comparable so I don't know why NHRA cannot deliver a similar product. 3 days at a track for a divisonal or 5-6 at a national event seems out of whack too me.

Just my opinion.

P.S. Greg Knows!

The car counts are not comparable. I worked several IHRA and NHRA divisionals this year. Most of the IHRA races, with the exception of the Mooresville race(which was scheduled for one race, not two), were less than 200 cars and no alcohol classes. The NHRA races numbered anywhere from 300-550 cars. Some that I did not work had over 600 cars. I can almost guarantee you couldn't run two division 1, 3, or 7 races in one weekend and you would really be pushing the envelope in the other divisions.

Billy Meyer lost his ass because of numerous rainouts. If this had not have happen, things would be a bit different now.
I'm sure it didn't help that he guaranteed $100,000 bonus to any Nitro Driver that could win both 1988 National Events held at the Motorplex. Eddie Hill and Ed McCulloch both took that bet.

IHRA any sportsman racer can race at a national event. NHRA you have to earn a grading to race at national event

I'm sure it didn't help that he guaranteed $100,000 bonus to any Nitro Driver that could win both 1988 National Events held at the Motorplex. Eddie Hill and Ed McCulloch both took that bet.
Maybe..maybe not, but I've never heard that come up when talking about Billy and the IHRA.

...and a tip of the cap to Billy for having the balls to put up such a purse.

Doc, you know I dig you and your boys so please don't take this personally (and you are all bigger than me), but I could not disagree with you more.

All anyone needs to do is look at Champ Car and IRL. Car counts are reduced in both series, sponsorship oppurtunities are reduced and exposure and fans are divided if not nonexistent. Same thing with Grand Am and ALMS. If Champ Car and IRL were united and there was only one sportscar series, EVERYONE agrees that would be best for all involved. I am inclined to believe the same thing about Drag Racing.

IMO the best thing for all concerned is to adopt the NASCAR system. Maybe have NHRA or a consortium of owners and sponsors buy IHRA and turn it into the Busch series to NHRA's Nextel Cup. That way, NHRA could develop stars of the future at the "minor league" level, and the low-buck guys that do it for the love of the game still have a place where they can compete.

Are the Wannabes coming to Vegas?

Chris, as someone that has certainly felt the financial fall out due to what happened in open wheel racing, you are 100% spot-on, that this could be a disaster...OR....it could be good in one scenario....One of the two series has to emerge, and do so VERY quickly, like...in a year or two at the MAX....and be SO dominant over the other, that they turn into a Sportsman only type of series...If that happens, then the pro's will have their fan base, and the focus of the other series would be able to promote sportsman drag racing as their only focus, and make it better for them, as well...

If that doesn't work, we all need to look at another sport for our entertainment dollars, because drag racing will suffer even worse than open wheel did....If you remember, as much as we all like drag racing, and I know some people in here will have not-so-nice things to say about this fact, but open wheel racing, specifically CART (now champ car), was more popular in attendance, sponsorship dollars, and television networks and ratings, when the whole debacle happened when they split.

It means if the division has a six race series to earn points, you only have to go to three tracks to compete in all six races, i.e. less fuel, less travel time, etc.

In NHRA (division 5) you have to go to Topeka, Brainerd, Earlville, Cordova, Great Bend, and Denver. That is a butt load of miles, not to mention 3 days at the track (except Topeka) plus travel time per event, just to run all six divisional races.

Are you saying that you go to each one of these tracks once a season and have two races at a time?

If that helps, why not have a six day race at one track once a year and crown your champs. That would really cut down on travel expenses.

Doc, you know I dig you and your boys so please don't take this personally (and you are all bigger than me), but I could not disagree with you more.

All anyone needs to do is look at Champ Car and IRL. Car counts are reduced in both series, sponsorship opportunities are reduced and exposure and fans are divided if not nonexistent. Same thing with Grand Am and ALMS. If Champ Car and IRL were united and there was only one sports car series, EVERYONE agrees that would be best for all involved. I am inclined to believe the same thing about Drag Racing.

IMO the best thing for all concerned is to adopt the NASCAR system. Maybe have NHRA or a consortium of owners and sponsors buy IHRA and turn it into the Busch series to NHRA's Nextel Cup. That way, NHRA could develop stars of the future at the "minor league" level, and the low-buck guys that do it for the love of the game still have a place where they can compete.

Are the Wannabes coming to Vegas?

No Vegas for us! My point was that both sanctioning bodies have been somewhat stagnant. One stepping forward in a major way as Jay has indicated, will wake up the neighborhood-big time! Such a wake-up call could trigger a host of new ideas, programs, opportunities, sponsorship deals, etc.
With all due respect (which is what you say when you think the other party is way off base) your examples, while accurate, were of sanctioning bodies splitting off from and dividing established organizations. What we are speaking of here is pure competition. It's great for everyone involved especially the business that believes they have a virtual monopoly. Wouldn't you say that describes the NHRA? You wait and see!
I would love to run a West Coast IHRA event or even an event sanctioned by the new-improved NHRA where they have to step up to compete. As has been mentioned already NHRA sportsmen racers fund a giant share of the racing that we see without a lot being done for them. Taking for granted that this will last forever is outdated thinking?
Just my take.

No Vegas for us! My point was that both sanctioning bodies have been somewhat stagnant. One stepping forward in a major way as Jay has indicated, will wake up the neighborhood-big time! Such a wake-up call could trigger a host of new ideas, programs, opportunities, sponsorship deals, etc.
With all due respect (which is what you say when you think the other party is way off base) your examples, while accurate, were of sanctioning bodies splitting off from and dividing established organizations. What we are speaking of here is pure competition. It's great for everyone involved especially the business that believes they have a virtual monopoly. Wouldn't you say that describes the NHRA? You wait and see!
I would love to run a West Coast IHRA event or even an event sanctioned by the new-improved NHRA where they have to step up to compete. As has been mentioned already NHRA sportsmen racers fund a giant share of the racing that we see without a lot being done for them. Taking for granted that this will last forever is outdated thinking?
Just my take.

Just my 25 cents...

Let's call the IHRA the American League and the NHRA the National League... The top 4 Cars from Each League Race a 3 Race WORLD SERIES to see who's the REAL World Champion...

I can see it now, JFR, DPR, DSR, has 1 or 2 American League cars and 1 or 2 National league cars...

Just my 25 cents...

Let's call the IHRA the American League and the NHRA the National League... The top 4 Cars from Each League Race a 3 Race WORLD SERIES to see who's the REAL World Champion...

I can see it now, JFR, DPR, DSR, has 1 or 2 American League cars and 1 or 2 National league cars...

See what I mean? It's working already! NHRA has limits on the number of cars per team and here's a solution for that!

Pardon me while I burst into flames...or just pardon me if I repeat anything anyone else has posted. Here goes...

IHRA finds itself, once again, on the verge of an incredible opportunity. With today's HDP approval to purchase NHRA's "assets" one has to ask what could/would happen if this whole scenario falls face first into it's own excrement. I have yet to hear any warm and fuzzies regarding the new NHRA Pro Racing organization from anyone. With the "old" NHRA being left with nothing but sportsman-class racing, something they have never excelled at producing, IHRA could very well have a chance to come out on top here.

It is all a matter of the powers/owners/operators of IHRA to capitalize on what is to come. Based on my opinion and those shared by other racers/fans thus far in 2007, the market demand for a strong and viable alternative sanctioning body is high. Just look at the success Kenny Knowling's ADRL is enjoying. The bulk of the Pro teams can't stand to deal with NHRA's circus but they play in the sandbox because it holds the most people. If given the chance for an equal or better sandbox they would "defect" quickly. As far as the sportsman racer goes...if IHRA had a truly national scope of events for sportsman racers to attend there would be no question where you'd find the pits full.

IHRA already has some fantastic facilities in moderate-to-large market areas. IHRA has a unique racer and fan base from which to grow. With the right people in the right positions...and a big, big bag o'cash...IHRA has an opportunity to take the lead right now. From 1998 to 2001 IHRA was headed in that direction until Clear Channel promised the moon and delivered dirt to Bader's organization. The best thing that could happen at this moment is for someone with private funding to either partner with Bill (who still owns 2/5ths of the company) or buy the company outright, secure the best minds in the industry, do whatever it takes to sign national-event-caliber facilities, quadruple the TV package on SPEED, and lure the big names into the series.

The timing is right. I'm anxious to see if IHRA as an entity can capitalize on the chance.

You know whats funny...

i have friends that are not into auto racing let alone drag racing ... but they know Evan Knoll and the TORCO/SKULL Gear/Shine names... Just like they know who Richard Petty and Dale Jr and John Force is.... so would it be a bad thing if Evan got the IHRA under his banner.. i don't think so..

Evan has a great name in the VA's across the nation for his suport of Veterans....

the man makes money and makes great PR for the sport of drag racing.. and helps a few others along the way....

Go Get em EVAN..!!!!

Billy

Billy,

Do you have a larger picture of the car you are using as an avitar? It looks really cool, yours?

Just my 25 cents...

Karl...that would be a cool idea, actually....Good thinkin'!!!

Just my take.

So you don't think that the IRL and ChampCar are in competition for viewers, attendance, sponsors, etc...? I agree that it isn't an exact parallel from where the two scenarios started, but in my opinion, it is pretty close when you look at them right now....2 series, very similar cars, business models, etc... (although ChampCar is realizing that they need to do something a bit different, but I think they are biting off more than they can chew with this international schedule...just look at how many races they are cancelling....)

Jesus Christ, you forget your Meds or something? I will have another Beer in the Nitro pits, and I promise I won't bring up anything to do with Primadonna Sportsman racers ever again!:confused:
For heaven's sake here Joe there's no need to bring HIM into this disagreement whatsoever. You know better, and I'll be first to say you have offended me with this one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back