Evan Knoll rumor? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I saw on another board that Evan's in negotations/discussions about Possibly purchasing the IHRA! I hope this isn't true, Evan's been one of the best thing to happen to Drag racing in general in some time! And I couldn't see him investing the Mega $$$ in NHRA if that were the case. Maybe it's time Tom Compton trys on the old kneepads again?:p

Last edited:
... I hope this isn't true, Evan's been one of the best thing to happen to Drag racing in general in some time! And I couldn't see him investing the Mega $$$ in NHRA if that were the case. Maybe it's time Tom Compton trys on the old kneepads again?:p
I hope it is true. Maybe then NHRA will get their shit together and stop thinking they OWN drag racing. A little REAL competition could be a good thing for everyone.

Last edited:
Like anything you would have to wait and see how it all plays out. If it meant expanding into the Northwest I'd be happy with that.

I saw on another board that Evan's in negotations/discussions about Possibly purchasing the IHRA! I hope this isn't true, Evan's been one of the best thing to happen to Drag racing in general in some time! And I couldn't see him investing the Mega $$$ in NHRA if that were the case. Maybe it's time Tom Compton trys on the old kneepads again?:p

I believe Evan has stated on this board that he has had an interest in purchasing the IHRA for some time and that he plans some major changes if and when it happens. I personally can't wait to see this happen and I think it will be great for the IHRA and drag racing in general.

If he does buy IHRA, I doubt he will pull all of his money/sponsorships out of NHRA immediately. The NHRA still offers WAY more exposure which is why you sponsor a car.

I am glad we will se JR Todd back in '08 as well ....

That guy sure must love drag racing! I can't believe how much money he throws at this sport but I sure am glad he does. :D

That guy sure must love drag racing! I can't believe how much money he throws at this sport but I sure am glad he does. :D

He's a smart business man. He didn't become this successful by throwing money away. I figure that he's getting some pretty decent returns on his drag racing investments, or he wouldn't be doing it.

I hope it is true. Maybe then NHRA will get their shit together and stop thinking they OWN drag racing. A little REAL competition could be a good thing for everyone.

Greg, I doubt you or any sportsman racer would be happy with any arrangement that doesn't elevate Sportsman racing to Pro status. That ain't happenin, not in this life!:rolleyes:

YES!!....glad to see JR will have a ride next year. Also, with Evan stepping in, I hope he (JR) finds some stability in the crew chief area.

Greg, I doubt you or any sportsman racer would be happy with any arrangement that doesn't elevate Sportsman racing to Pro status. That ain't happenin, not in this life!:rolleyes:
Don't even try to begin to think you know what would make me happy! I could not care less about Sportsman racing being elevated to any kind of Pro status.

I have been exceedingly happy not racing NHRA the last few years, preferring to support our regional series and the tracks' programs where I can. I race with people who are having a good time, at tracks whose owners are happy that I am there, and without having to put up with all the B.S. that goes with having my drag racing experience "enhanced" by the NHRA.

But...

Competition in the free market is alway good for consumers... and Sportsman racers are consumers just like the fans.

You just keep on living in your "ultimate fan" world... keep on hating sportsman racing!!

Last edited:
Didn't Billy Meyer try that once? It didn't change one thing about what NHRA was doing. The IHRA was elevated when Billy ran it, had better races, full magazine, etc. They were up to par with NHRA as far as their events. Once he got out of it, seems like IHRA went backwards.

Competition in the free market is alway good for consumers... and Sportsman racers are consumers just like the fans.
Greg, thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly.

I believe the best way to improve both sanctioning bodies is to have them start battling for exposure, track sanctioning, sponsorship dollars and ultimately the fan base. Such competition can be a very healthy thing for our sport. The day the NHRA recognizes the IHRA as a potential threat to their comfort zone is when their best executive decisions will be made for the betterment of the sport and fan base. Such competition could be good for ticket prices, payouts, points systems, sponsorship opportunities, and a whole lot more. Without it, it will be business as usual.

Greg, thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly.

I believe the best way to improve both sanctioning bodies is to have them start battling for exposure, track sanctioning, sponsorship dollars and ultimately the fan base. Such competition can be a very healthy thing for our sport. The day the NHRA recognizes the IHRA as a potential threat to their comfort zone is when their best executive decisions will be made for the betterment of the sport and fan base. Such competition could be good for ticket prices, payouts, points systems, sponsorship opportunities, and a whole lot more. Without it, it will be business as usual.

Doc, you know I dig you and your boys so please don't take this personally (and you are all bigger than me), but I could not disagree with you more.

All anyone needs to do is look at Champ Car and IRL. Car counts are reduced in both series, sponsorship oppurtunities are reduced and exposure and fans are divided if not nonexistent. Same thing with Grand Am and ALMS. If Champ Car and IRL were united and there was only one sportscar series, EVERYONE agrees that would be best for all involved. I am inclined to believe the same thing about Drag Racing.

IMO the best thing for all concerned is to adopt the NASCAR system. Maybe have NHRA or a consortium of owners and sponsors buy IHRA and turn it into the Busch series to NHRA's Nextel Cup. That way, NHRA could develop stars of the future at the "minor league" level, and the low-buck guys that do it for the love of the game still have a place where they can compete.

Are the Wannabes coming to Vegas?

Doc, you know I dig you and your boys so please don't take this personally (and you are all bigger than me), but I could not disagree with you more.

All anyone needs to do is look at Champ Car and IRL. Car counts are reduced in both series, sponsorship oppurtunities are reduced and exposure and fans are divided if not nonexistent. Same thing with Grand Am and ALMS. If Champ Car and IRL were united and there was only one sportscar series, EVERYONE agrees that would be best for all involved. I am inclined to believe the same thing about Drag Racing.

IMO the best thing for all concerned is to adopt the NASCAR system. Maybe have NHRA or a consortium of owners and sponsors buy IHRA and turn it into the Busch series to NHRA's Nextel Cup. That way, NHRA could develop stars of the future at the "minor league" level, and the low-buck guys that do it for the love of the game still have a place where they can compete.
Are the Wannabes coming to Vegas?

This is exactly what I've thought for the last ten years now... Instead of parroting the "countdown" system (the chase, whatever...manipulation has many names), NHRA could actually do something that makes sense for all concerned... Professional drivers, Sportsman drivers and fans alike.

However...this won't come to pass, sadly. It's entirely too logical for Soapman and Dimbulb to comprehend.

Don't even try to begin to think you know what would make me happy! I could not care less about Sportsman racing being elevated to any kind of Pro status.

I have been exceedingly happy not racing NHRA the last few years, preferring to support our regional series and the tracks' programs where I can. I race with people who are having a good time, at tracks whose owners are happy that I am there, and without having to put up with all the B.S. that goes with having my drag racing experience "enhanced" by the NHRA.

But...

You just keep on living in your "ultimate fan" world... keep on hating sportsman racing!!

Now you have me curious, what exactly does IHRA do for Sportsman racers that NHRA does not? Better session times, Better Parking spot? I have to hear just how the IHRA rolls out the red carpet for sportman racers???

You know whats funny...

i have friends that are not into auto racing let alone drag racing ... but they know Evan Knoll and the TORCO/SKULL Gear/Shine names... Just like they know who Richard Petty and Dale Jr and John Force is.... so would it be a bad thing if Evan got the IHRA under his banner.. i don't think so..

Evan has a great name in the VA's across the nation for his suport of Veterans....

the man makes money and makes great PR for the sport of drag racing.. and helps a few others along the way....

Go Get em EVAN..!!!!

Billy

Now you have me curious, what exactly does IHRA do for Sportsman racers that NHRA does not? Better session times, Better Parking spot? I have to hear just how the IHRA rolls out the red carpet for sportman racers???

For one thing, they schedule back to back divisonal events on the same weekend, sat & sun, this helps with some of the travel expenses. Also at the few IHRA events I've been at they seem to be able to run a faster program, back to the two divisionals in one weekend. The car counts are comparable so I don't know why NHRA cannot deliver a similar product. 3 days at a track for a divisonal or 5-6 at a national event seems out of whack too me.

Just my opinion.

P.S. Greg Knows!

For one thing, they schedule back to back divisonal events on the same weekend, sat & sun, this helps with some of the travel expenses. Also at the few IHRA events I've been at they seem to be able to run a faster program, back to the two divisionals in one weekend. The car counts are comparable so I don't know why NHRA cannot deliver a similar product. 3 days at a track for a divisonal or 5-6 at a national event seems out of whack too me.

Just my opinion.

P.S. Greg Knows!

What exactly does back to back div. races on the same weekend mean? I'm not saying NHRA does everything right, not by any means. Like scheduling the Vegas Div. the week after the Natl? Sounds like someone at NHRA ate a second helping of Dumbass on that one!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back