EE offs sponsor? (1 Viewer)

Great posts on an interesting topic. I've been in the Marketing and Advertising business, though my Radio stations, since the early 80's. From what I've read so far, this reeks of a double standard on NHRA's part. I smell a big rat in Glendora...

I think you are right. It's not like it would be the first time.

Jay hit the nail on the head...
I have been screaming this for over a year...
I think the problem is that Revive dose make or market a so called sports drink called VITAMIN WATER...
That may be the real reason in my opinion...
Jay, you rock bro!! You have alot of very insightful comments on sports marketing and are an asset to the mater... Thank you!!
I believe Snake could bring back Pepsi and THAT would not be an issue... Del has them as an associate...
I believe it is Vitamin Water that is the issue...

Last edited:
i dont care who sponsors erica, she is a class act! so is gregg, i wish them all the best luck in 07!!!!!!

One thing is sure...it won't take them long to secure a full-ride, long term marketing partner. Of all the racers in Pro Stock, Erica is far and away the most marketable and valuable to corporate America. I remember Don Shoe saying...'if I can't find a marketing partner for Erica, I need a new line of work'!

She'll be just fine...and she'll be FAST...too!

She needs a sponsor that will make use of the demographics she can reach. More than just a drink, perhaps a whole line of clothing or purses! I have heard she likes to shop a great deal. l

I believe Snake could bring back Pepsi and THAT would not be an issue... Del has them as an associate...

Actually, Del got a lot of $hit from NHRA for the Pepsi deal, but since he had it before Poweraide became the series sponsor, they un-willingly grandfathered it in.

I remember a few years back when NHRA had series sponsorship from Winston that there were a few cars with a Smokin Joes sponsorship. I believe that would be a conflict?:rolleyes: What about CSK being the "official auto parts store" on the NHRA yet O'Reilly's sponsors NHRA races and Cruz has Advance Auto? Wouldn't that be a conflict?:confused: And yes, I'm being sarcastic here. I personally think what she did was stupid. A conflict? My A$$.

Smoken Joe's was Camel Another RJR brand no conflict there.

The REAL picture here...BIG post....

Ray...thanks for the nice words.....By the way, VitaminWater is marketed by GLACEAU, not Revive... I see no conflict with this deal on the surface...I will do some digging and see what I can come up with tomorrow for everyone on this...

Also, I'd like to address the sponsorship side of NHRA teams for a moment...I know that there are a LOT of you, myself included, that feel Erica is a VERY marketable driver..I agree...But it is important that you understand how much money it takes to go racing nowadays, and companies are VERY tight with budgets now, too...For T/F, once you have all of your equipment (cars, tractor trailers, 6-8 shortblocks, etc...) it takes about $2,3000,000-$2,700,00 per year to run them...This is a REAL number..And of course, this budget gives you the opportunity to run with the best of them if you hire the right crew chiefs, drivers, etc....Funny Cars are about $200,000 more because of the bodies. By the time you hang them and paint them are about $40,000, and then the wind tunnell time that you spend for each body just to make sure they are straight is another $10,000 to $12,000 per day, PLUS travel costs to get there, and you need a MINIMUM of one day for a new body at the beginning of the year, and another in the middle of the year, to make sure that it is straight after 100 runs or so...These are REAL numbers..

What does this have to do with Erica Enders you ask? A lot...! Similarly, to run a top PS team, you will spend $1,500,000-$1,800,000 to run well...Ken Black, my guess, spends $4,000,000-$5,000,000 on those cars...That is part of the reason that they run so well...They have more high-dollar people, parts, machine equipment, testing time, etc...

While it has been proven that NHRA is the "Best Bang For The Buck" to corporate America as far as motorsports go, it is still a VERY tough battle to get the money! We are in the MOST competitive venue for "specialty advertising" that there is...Long gone are the days of "Build your team and sponsors will come..." A lot of the reason for this, is that with so many teams in so many different types of racing, the sponsors realize a few things:

1.) They can get these teams to do a LOT for a little (money)...

2.) The reason for #1 is that if you won't do it, there are 1000 teams that will...

3.) Too many rich guys will subsidize the cost of this game and take $200,000deals for Fuel Cars for the entire season (some even less...) And I know of 3 right now...you would NEVER guess who they are...lol

4.) Finally, ESPN2 could make things a LOT easier...In the few years that they have been broadcasting the races for NHRA, ask yourself this...How may promos have you seen to promote Division 2 and 3 college games as HUGE events...? And how many NHRA promos have you seen....Try ZERO...IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED...!!!

You only get out of something what you put into it...The idea here is that we 1,000,000 die-hard fans would tune in to SoapNet to watch these races if thats the only place to see them...Promos are supposed to attract new fans...and they DO if you run them....It has NOTHING todo with how much money comes into the sport...You can get all of the money handed to you if you have a sport that builds a very high profile with big TV viewership....Companies will seek out these teams...Our TV on ESPN has had the same ratings +/- for 6 years....Coincidence..? I don't think so....Sorry for ranting, but thanks for letting me get it all out....! whew...!

Thanks again..

Jay Rathman
CEO
J. Rathman Sports, LLC.

Last edited:
Jay,
You are absolutly correct about vitamin water being under GLACEAU... Not revive, my mistake... I watched Big Idea with Donny Deutsch last week and he had the founder of VW on and kept mentioning revive which is a form of one of their products, not the company...
REVIVE-USA sells energy bars and other energy items for a variety of activities... However they do sell POWER QUENCH WAFERS that you put in water and there you have your energy water, or sports drink... i.e. POWERADE conflict of interest...
Comp plus is reporting that it is Revives PURE ENERGY DRINK that is the culpret...

I don't understand how this got past NHRA last year though??

Last edited:
now today nhra.com says this....... and this is directly from article
.....Citing a potential conflict of interest with POWERade and Coca-Cola's Full Throttle energy drink, Enders decided to pass on the three-year option that was part of Enders Racing's initial agreement with Revive-USA.....
now i WOULD be interested in an explaination that explains the difference/s
between Berstein's deal with Monster and the EE Racing/Revive deal.

Comp, plus has a story on it today, seems nhra wasnt thrilled with them coming on board and would not support them, Imagine that. If I remember correctly gatorade was going to sponsor someone( I cant remember who) and nhra told them absolutely not. All this will come back to bite them later.

now today nhra.com says this....... and this is directly from article

now i WOULD be interested in an explaination that explains the difference/s
between Berstein's deal with Monster and the EE Racing/Revive deal.

I just don't buy it. Why would EE's deal not be gravy when Kenny inked a huge deal with Monster? Aren't Revive's products, Monster's products and Powerade's products all in competition with one another? It'd be different if we were talking Coke, Cherry Coke and Black Cherry Coke -- all under one umbrella. But three different companies in competition with one another.

As Ace Ventura's friend on the first movie said so beautifully, "Ace, somethin' ain't stirrin' the kool-aid."

Monster.. which is owned by Budweiser... is compitition with Cokes FullThrottle drink.. but.. i would bet the big money Bud sinks into NHRA, not just BB's ride, and did long before PowerAid come into play had something to do with Monster being allowed....

Andi can believe the "rumor" on Comp Plus' site... Seems to me Jim Yates had trouble getting tv time when Wiley X came on full time.... can't remember which race of the western swing.. but he went two rounds and finaly lost in the third and he was never shown or interviewed... just his name mentioned.... you think Oakleys cash influx into NHRA had anything to do with that....:D

One thing i wll give credit to BUD and Miller for with there advertising wars.. they always believed in may the better team get the exposure.... they believed in the performance making the statement and getting the exposure.... Plus thats also what happens when you get a company(s) that understands motorsports and what is involved.... not just motorsports and we want returns.. at all costs or "see ya".

Billy

Monster.. which is owned by Budweiser... is compitition with Cokes FullThrottle drink.. but.. i would bet the big money Bud sinks into NHRA, not just BB's ride, and did long before PowerAid come into play had something to do with Monster being allowed....
Monster is not owned by Budweiser, but Hansen Beverages of So. Cal. Hansen is in a marketing parthership for Budweiser to use their distrubution network and take Monster nationwide. And according to the following article, not doing a very good job of it. Also, did Budweiser not drop the Bud Shootout?

Monster energy drink maker Hansen Natural stock is up*6000% - December 25, 2006

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back