Drone usage (1 Viewer)

Percboy

Nitro Member
First drone I`ve seen in use this year. Thought it was a blower or something coming off the car at first :)
I havent watched many Fox broadcasts this year, just AA. Have they been showing drone footage on the Fox shows?
Untitled - 1.jpg

All drones not belonging to Law Enforcement or Fire Departments flying over your personal property should be able to be shot down.

There was one flying in view of the camera at Atlanta also. I don't remember footage of an actual race on track with it but it was used for overhead shots. In his case and the case of Atlanta, it is a shame it gets in the tv shot.

Hmmmm. I've been waiting for them to show up at NHRA. These pro ones might not have navigational lights on them; but I'm surprised some drivers haven't complained about them as a distraction. I guess as long as they stay well down past half track, and of course high enough out of the drivers line of sight it would be OK. But if I was sitting there in a staged race car, waiting for the ambers.... and that thing buzzed by the tree.... I would not like that. I had a drone for a while myself. I'd be interested to know how the airflow affects them when the nitro cars go by right underneath them; even being that far up. The hex-blade and 8-blade pro drones are really impressive. Hell, I'd like to see 2 drones do a side by side drag race; using the same timing/launch technology that drag boats use.

I was at a bike race in Vasdosta, Ga and there was a drone hovering right above the starting line. The operator was standing by the guard rail so I started talking to him and he showed me the live stream video on his camera. It was amazing. Very clear like the drone was anchored up there.

Last edited:
The authorized drones are one thing, but how long until some jackass spectator decides to bring his own in and fly it around because it’s cool or he wants some cool footage?

So why don't "they" build a helicopter w/ 4 engines like the drone? The idea works & could be used for all kinds of stuff. Fit a bunch of people / troops / cargo inside. Maybe build one big enough to take the place of the 18 wheeler. Can you imagine a BIG 4 engined helo landing in the pits??? ;)

While I have no issue with them using the drone, I can only imagine the uproar when the person who is in charge of it loses control and it smacks into the wing of a TF car....

The authorized drones are one thing, but how long until some jackass spectator decides to bring his own in and fly it around because it’s cool or he wants some cool footage?
It does happen. I've heard calls over the commentary to bring drones down at quite a few tracks now, including at NHRA events.
When you can work with a cooperative track and racers the results can be dramatic, it's a fantastic angle for photography.

Attachments

• Frank Taylor.jpg
    Frank Taylor.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
So why don't "they" build a helicopter w/ 4 engines like the drone? The idea works & could be used for all kinds of stuff. Fit a bunch of people / troops / cargo inside. Maybe build one big enough to take the place of the 18 wheeler. Can you imagine a BIG 4 engined helo landing in the pits??? ;)
The beauty of drones is they are light & cheap A Monster drone as you describe would never be allowed to fly over crowds at a race. If it crashed it could kill many people. Besides it is unneccessary.

Larry Page's Kitty Hawk:

https://flyer.aero/

It does happen. I've heard calls over the commentary to bring drones down at quite a few tracks now, including at NHRA events.
When you can work with a cooperative track and racers the results can be dramatic, it's a fantastic angle for photography.

I've heard Alan Reinhardt making those announcements during all access broadcasts this year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back