Beckman , TV, etc. (1 Viewer)

It’s taken some time but I think Tony and Brian have begun to mesh better as a team.
They’re not going to replace Steve Evans and Dave McClelland. Nobody ever will. But, they are better than when they first teamed up.
The only issue I have is they both talk way too much once the cars have fired.
The sounds of drag racing are about as much of a draw as the sights. And two announcers yapping are not the sounds I want to hear.

Agreed, As time goes on, so do the announcers. Sure, I'd love to have them all back including Bob Frey and Mike Dunn. I think that Brian and Tony do a good job. Tony was pretty rough around the edges when he first started but with some coaching from Brian, he's way better. Now put yourself in the shoes of an inexperienced announcer with a mic and camera in your face, Then have a group of people sitting on the receiving end of that broadcast and see if you could pull off a whole show without a stumble. I think not! I used to D.J. quite a while in some nice sized night clubs in front rather large crowds, The first few times where you had to pick the mic up to promote upcoming events and such, Well they weren't so smooth until I felt comfortable staring a large group of people. Also, I remember an interview when Mike Dunn was asked his thoughts of Tony being in the booth, His response was, I wasn't really smooth and had my fair share of mistakes on the mic but it takes time to get better.

Would much prefer Jack in a car but if not then in the booth is a good second option.
I'd love to have Dunn back and also think Alan does a great job.

I can live with misspeaking from time to time. Any of us that speak in front of groups know that we're gonna get tongue tied or misspeak from time to time. Lord knows when I slipped and said glow dicks instead of glow sticks, I was super glad we decided to record the video instead of going live as we first planned. Tony has improved he just doesn't have "It" when it comes to being in the booth. Some things are teachable, some are not.

Tony has gotten much better. I would imagine being in the booth is a tough deal to master especially since I do not think there is much time between taping and airing to fix any mistakes that may be said, I know I would struggle with it.

I do wonder if Tony would be better suited for maybe pit reporter. I think back to someone like Dave Rieff or Dr. Jerry Punch in NASCAR who were fantastic pit reporters/interviewers but it did not quite translate to the play by play or color analyst.

About Beckman, if he does not have a ride next season I think he would be wonderful either on TV or on the PA at the track. His knowledge of the sport and it's history is hard to beat and in talking to him over the years and listening to him emcee the museum nights in Pomona he is very articulate and easy going yet very knowledgeable.

I always thought Beckman would make a great announcer. He certainly has the "gift of gab" and I liked his series about the history of drag racing on NHRA. I hope they finish it now that the season is over and he has no ride for next year, although I'm sure he's working hard to find one.
Bruno Massell is another one I would like to see/hear in the booth. He has such an easy on the ears voice.
Not defending Tony Pedregon, but Brian Lohnes has misspoken a few times also. As for TJ, I think he's trying hard to be what's not.
How about a female in the commentators booth? Any thoughts on that?
As far as a female in the booth, keep Amanda out on the track, she's perfect at her job, and put Jamie Howe in the booth. She's very knowledgeable about the entire sport and speaks really well.

Other than they all talk too loud and too much, I have enjoyed all of the announcers, except Eli Gold. Current crop Amanda deserves xtra credit and Joe Costello should get into the HOF for his pioneering work in internet format.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back