Don Garlits just might be right (1 Viewer)

Marchboom

Nitro Member
During the Denver telecast (or Raceday) yesterday, "BIG" brought up the fact that the crews are being asked to rebuild these fuel motors in very little time. This was brought about because of TV air times.

But I wonder if that is a factor in some of these engine explosions as of late? :confused:

Are things unintentionally being overlooked? Is the quality and thoroughness of the rebuild taking second place behind a quick turn around time? Maybe the teams should honestly look at this aspect and maybe TELL the NHRA that they want more time for the rebuild between rounds.

good point, what if the teams are forced to use the same, block, heads and blower cases all weekend, only, bearings, pistons, rods and springs are allowed inbetween rounds, if you blow it up your out! I bet the crew cheifs would get all kinds of creative on slowing down the cars and saving the motors. Let them police them selves.

good point, what if the teams are forced to use the same, block, heads and blower cases all weekend, only, bearings, pistons, rods and springs are allowed inbetween rounds, if you blow it up your out! I bet the crew cheifs would get all kinds of creative on slowing down the cars and saving the motors. Let them police them selves.
Umm-i'd bet it would be the other way around-going to the line with patched together s*it hoping the car in the other lane would mess up on the line.

In theory it's a good idea... but what happens when a bunch of round winners trash the non-replaceable parts and nobody shows for the final?

Umm-i'd bet it would be the other way around-going to the line with patched together s*it hoping the car in the other lane would mess up on the line.

I agree. Its safer to change a cracked crankshaft or shortblock for that matter than to stage with it and risk driving over it at 300.

Or the big teams invest mega bucks to find ways to make them more durable
and out spend the smaller teams by even a larger number than they do now.

In theory it's a good idea... but what happens when a bunch of round winners trash the non-replaceable parts and nobody shows for the final?

Bring back the 'Break Rule'... quickest loser from the round before comes back. I'm sure no one will offer a low bucks team $$$$$$$ to put it on the trailer:rolleyes:

or 'split the pot' like we did in the "Bad" old days...

Bring back the 'Break Rule'... quickest loser from the round before comes back. I'm sure no one will offer a low bucks team $$$$$$$ to put it on the trailer:rolleyes:

or 'split the pot' like we did in the "Bad" old days...

Or the big teams invest mega bucks to find ways to make them more durable
and out spend the smaller teams by even a larger number than they do now.

Karl I like the break rule, Todd you might be right, but the mega buck teams will stay mega buck, and build safer more durable bullets, thus solving the "blow up problem", and with the break rule some low buck team could have a chance at comming back for some rounds....
This needs work but, maybe the "task force" should round table the idea.

During the Denver telecast (or Raceday) yesterday, "BIG" brought up the fact that the crews are being asked to rebuild these fuel motors in very little time. This was brought about because of TV air times.

But I wonder if that is a factor in some of these engine explosions as of late? :confused:

Are things unintentionally being overlooked? Is the quality and thoroughness of the rebuild taking second place behind a quick turn around time? Maybe the teams should honestly look at this aspect and maybe TELL the NHRA that they want more time for the rebuild between rounds.

I thought it was brought about to speed the show up for the fans in the stands, especially during the down times towards the semi's and later when we all have to put up with the morons and the t-shirt gun and cars that run with electronics. Since the TV broadcast is shown on delayed tape across the country a couple of hours later I don't see how the quick turnaround time would affect that. Then again?

what ever the reason for the quicker turnaround , I could see what garlits is meaning it wouldnt be that hard to maybe miss something

I'm not into the data recorders on these cars but is it possible for the crew chiefs to determine what caused a back-fire, a broken crank, etc, so they can prevent it in the future? I know some parts can just break and you can't predict that. At the same time, maybe there would be a way to determine if something was over looked during the rebuild? Heard that Wilkerson is having his crew members sign off on a check list that they completed their assigned duties just as another safe guard they they have not forgotten something.

I'm not into the data recorders on these cars but is it possible for the crew chiefs to determine what caused a back-fire, a broken crank, etc, so they can prevent it in the future? I know some parts can just break and you can't predict that. At the same time, maybe there would be a way to determine if something was over looked during the rebuild? Heard that Wilkerson is having his crew members sign off on a check list that they completed their assigned duties just as another safe guard they they have not forgotten something.

Check lists are OK, but they are more valuable if they are checked off as each step is done, which of course takes time. Often people get lazy or forget or pressed for time and just check all the boxes when they are done, negating the benefit of having the checklist. I work for NASA (but I'm not speaking for them!) and have heard stories fom the old days where people filled out the check lists on the plane on the way home from the remote launch site! This is one example of why the space business is expensive, for high dollar projects there is a QA person watching the people doing the work and signing off on each completed step, ensuring the steps are completed successfully and in order.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back