Bristol 1972 (Pictures) (1 Viewer)

DLB

Nitro Member
A guy I work with brought in some pictures from Thunder Valley. All of them were marked June 1972 around the white border.

I scanned them in and doctored them up a little. Hope you all enjoy. I know I sure did.

Just click the picture to move to the next one...

IHRA Bristol 1972

This was 10 years before my time - but man, I can certainly appreciate all of that. It really makes my heart feel good seeing that kind of stuff. I honestly wish I could have seen drag racing back then.

A guy was peeking over my shoulder (he went to Bristol about 2 years, just didn't get the bug), and said - "Yea - that's back when it wasn't popular really." Had to laugh it off - this was in the hey day as far as I can tell.

Anyhow - I am sure a lot of you have some good memories from this era.

The one picture with the truck in the middle of the track with the fire engines around it (Page 3 - first pic) is where a rear engine T/F'er was being push started, the engine locked up, and the truck rode up onto the engine. The hot engine was sitting over the Nitro, and there was some unfavored results - hence, the "safety safari" you see.

BTW - Please don't use these in a way that is not good. However that might be. (To make money, whatever). They're not mine.

DLB

Last edited:
Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.

TRIVIA QUESTION

Name the driver of the Spirit of Australia rocket car seen in the pictures.

Awesome pics, Dalton. Thanks for sharing. Oh, not to worry, I just looked at them. I didn't do anything seedy.:)

I've got soem old pictures of Bristol with Dale Pulde in either the War Eagle or Miller Warrior. Don't remember which. TV Tommy Ivo with the jet car. The Entertainer, I believe was Paul Smith? The Mello Yellow funny car, seems like the last name maybe began with an O?

Those are great pictures! I remember seeing a lot of those cars in'72 at the Empire Nationals here in upstate NY. The rocket kart was amazing, I believe it was driven by Jack McLure (sp?). For a sport that "wasn't as popular" back then, did you guys notice the crowds?

Those were great pictures! Thank you so much for that!

I did not violate the pictures in any way! :D (But for some reason, I feel dirty!!!:D)

I raced at Bristol brfore all the re-make. It was still a seriously cool place back then. It had an interesting way to do the staging lanes. Also the pits were way down the hill and out into the fields.

But still I am very grateful to have been there. Maybe someday I can get back there in the modern era.
jim

Truly wonderful pictures. Really brings some memories to this old fart.

Ken Warby. I think I saw a docu about him. Didn't he fabricate his own afterburner because the Australian government wouldn't allow him to purchase one from military surplus?

I've got soem old pictures of Bristol with Dale Pulde in either the War Eagle or Miller Warrior. Don't remember which. TV Tommy Ivo with the jet car. The Entertainer, I believe was Paul Smith? The Mello Yellow funny car, seems like the last name maybe began with an O?

The Mello Yellow car was Frank Oglesbee from Altanta. I was at the race when these pictures were taken. Brings back memories. The fans that are above the stands were outside the fence. They had to walk about 3 miles to get there but the did not pay. The stands sure were full. Bristol is a long way from any major city. I think they had biger crowds then than now.

I have a hard time believing those are pictures of a NHRA national event. If it is, then where are the large transporters, hospitality suites, technology centers, high buck motorcoaches and the ropes to keep you out of someones pit? And what is with the drivers and crew members wearing t-shirts and pants? Where are the uniforms? :D

BTW... awesome pics! I would kill to have a chance to go back to the good old days! Anybody gotta time machine...

I have a hard time believing those are pictures of a NHRA national event. If it is, then where are the large transporters, hospitality suites, technology centers, high buck motorcoaches and the ropes to keep you out of someones pit? And what is with the drivers and crew members wearing t-shirts and pants? Where are the uniforms? :D

BTW... awesome pics! I would kill to have a chance to go back to the good old days! Anybody gotta time machine...

Yepper, right between my ears... and the whole crew wearing the same Hang-Ten shirt and Levi 505's was the uniform... and, ah, I thought Bristol was still an AHRA in '72... or was it like Lions and flipped every couple of years?:confused: CRS syndrome

Those are great pictures! I remember seeing a lot of those cars in'72 at the Empire Nationals here in upstate NY. The rocket kart was amazing, I believe it was driven by Jack McLure (sp?). For a sport that "wasn't as popular" back then, did you guys notice the crowds?

For the diehard fans (like me...) the sport was always extremely popular. And we went to the races, and filled up the stands. The drags just didn't get the media coverage back then.

Keep in mind, this was before the Internet, or cable, and we had to wait 4 months or more for info in some weekly or monthly rag. For for the bigger races (like the Nats or Winters) maybe the same amount of time for tv and only on Wide World of Sports. I'm sure you remeber those days, Nunzio.

Drag fans have it soooo good today, at least in terms of immediate coverage and info.

Ya wanna b/tch about Paul Page or whatever? At least we can see results almost immediately. Be happy about that.

Contrasting yesterday with today, yeah it was better back then (see Gary Densham's article). I'm sorry you all weren't able to see it back in the good old days.

This sport hooked me forever, the first time I saw a fuel car run...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back