Bristol 1972 (Pictures) (1 Viewer)

You guys & ladies are all welcome! Thanks for the history lessons, and great stories.

It's truly a great sport, and it is really neat to listen in on how it has become what it is.

DLB

Awesome pics. remember as a kid in the 70's seeing pictures of the old Bristol and what a cool track it was. I got to go there in '93 for the IHRA Fallnationals,a buddy of mine worked for IHRA back then and I got some starting line access and some pictures in the day and night qualifying on Sat. and it rained Sun. and eliminations were cancelled. Thanks for the memories, Jeff

Now these are some awesome pictures and certainly bring back some memories for me ..I started going to Bristol in 1966 ...I will never forget it ...Through the years , the sixities into the 70's ....seeing all the great ones come to Thunder Valley ..Dave can attest to this ..That roar out of the valley was unbelievable . The jet cars even more so ..Thanks so much for the pictures and I was there when the push truck rolled up on the T/F . It was a relief when no one was hurt in that freak accident . As I always tell everyone ...There is no place like Thunder Valley USA !

Another good thing about the old Bristol was that between races you could watch the drunk guys roll down the hill and try to climb back up. Good for alot of laughs.

Junior, we have a winner! Vic Wilson and Bill Fredericks Wynn's Courage of Australia rocket car. I saw that car the same year, 1972, as a 7-year-old at the opening of Adelaide International Raceway in South Australia. They headlined the show with the Fullerton & Doheny Trojan Horse Funny Car ... awesome memories.

Thanks for allowing us to see those Bristol photos, they are fantastic!

You lucky mongrel!! My Dad was there at the same meeting in Adelaide, he has some photos at home in one of his albums.

AIR's short shutdown area would have been exciting in a rocket car!!

Oh yeh, Gerry, when was it, 1972.... you were 7 right... how old was I... that's right, i was minus 4 years old.. ;)

The Mello Yellow car was Frank Oglesbee from Altanta. I was at the race when these pictures were taken. Brings back memories. The fans that are above the stands were outside the fence. They had to walk about 3 miles to get there but the did not pay. The stands sure were full. Bristol is a long way from any major city. I think they had biger crowds then than now.

It's NOT an easy walk, either! Been there, done that. :D

You lucky mongrel!! My Dad was there at the same meeting in Adelaide, he has some photos at home in one of his albums.

AIR's short shutdown area would have been exciting in a rocket car!!

Oh yeh, Gerry, when was it, 1972.... you were 7 right... how old was I... that's right, i was minus 4 years old.. ;)

Since I'll be back in Oz next week, I got some old magazines, one with a feature on the Spirit of Australia, i'll put them in the scanner next week for all to see. I guess that's one positive hey Paul reunited with all my old zines, photos and videos, I know what I'll be doing till I hit the books and uni.:D

Talk on the phone during the week mate.

Mike

Who drove this again...

The name Doug Rose seems to pop into my head.
Art Arfons- :D 0038
Doug Rose drove the green mamba- :eek:
And John Paxon drove the COA car in 72 & 73 before riding it to it's demise- He walked away btw-
Vic Wilson drove it in 71 and I thought he was out of the seat in 72, but I'll take your word for it, even though my memory may be only a little off- :p I still think my Tony Fox rocket car book is correct- It's a copy of his own personal article's of Dave Anderson and the Pollution Packer- A pretty cool read and many many pics up and through the end- :(

Last edited:
Ditto Ron on makingthat article available . I have a copy of that somewhere ..it definitely tells the Larry Carrier story ..

Morning Doug.... see ya at Richmond????

Yepper, thanks Ron... think I did see that a few years ago.... some things just don't sink in, I guess:eek:

I'll pile on here and also say thanks for posting those great old pics! I do believe Drag Racing was more popular then, at least in this part of the country.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back