Bristol 1972 (Pictures) (1 Viewer)

Those were some awesome pictures. How times have changed. Sure enjoyed that look at the past, though.

Great photos that bring back memories of those days in the early '70's.
BTW....it had to be an IHRA race at Bristol in '72. NHRA was at Columbus for the first year of the Springnationals at that venue....Larry Carrier was the owner of IHRA and also of Bristol.

The shots of the rocket cars were worth the effort. One impressive package of acceleration indeed.

MaC

[Update....

according to the Bristol Dragway stats....the 1972 IHRA Springnationals was won by Don Garlits running 6.40 at 226....OR....Pat Dakin won the IHRA All American Nationals with a 6.45 at 217.

Without a date on the photos, other than 1972...hard to tell which event it was.

Oh, the appeal of the Internet!!! Thank you AL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad....didn't read the original post close enough. A June 1972 would be the IHRA Springnationals.

Ooooooppppss!

MaC

Steve,

Where in Fort Worth are you? You can send me a pm!

No I can't, Suzie. I tried, but I get a box that says I have to enter a title or subject. And I see no place to enter a title or subject.

I'm such an old idiot. But I do love fuel cars!

Help! :confused:

Got great results weekly via Drag News, National Dragster (NHRA only) and surprisingly The Garden Grove Evening News...

Dave Mac... I know Bristol was AHRA in '69, when did Larry take over the Track??? I didn't think there was an IHRA until the mid 70's...

Heck even OCIR was AHRA for a couple of years in the Mid 70's

How bout Vic Wilson?-Courage of Australia

Junior, we have a winner! Vic Wilson and Bill Fredericks Wynn's Courage of Australia rocket car. I saw that car the same year, 1972, as a 7-year-old at the opening of Adelaide International Raceway in South Australia. They headlined the show with the Fullerton & Doheny Trojan Horse Funny Car ... awesome memories.

Thanks for allowing us to see those Bristol photos, they are fantastic!

Got great results weekly via Drag News, National Dragster (NHRA only) and surprisingly The Garden Grove Evening News...

Dave Mac... I know Bristol was AHRA in '69, when did Larry take over the Track??? I didn't think there was an IHRA until the mid 70's...

Heck even OCIR was AHRA for a couple of years in the Mid 70's

Good point, Karl.

But some of us couldn't afford the weeklies back then. Garden Grove? So Cal?

You must have been in heaven then.

I'm envious! :D

Good point, Karl.

But some of us couldn't afford the weeklies back then. Garden Grove? So Cal?

You must have been in heaven then.

I'm envious! :D

Yeah Steve, I threw it in Junior High and freshman and Sophomore year in high school... between that and and umpiring Little League my junior and senior year and pumpin' ethyl... I could afford the eight to ten bucks a week to go see a 16 car nitro show... okay ten bucks for The PDA Meet or The Manufacturer's Meet...

Pacifica High, class of '73... well they say '72 because I did it in 3 1/3 years...

Check the blog... it's gonna be enlightening:eek:

Yeah Steve, I threw it in Junior High and freshman and Sophomore year in high school... between that and and umpiring Little League my junior and senior year and pumpin' ethyl... I could afford the eight to ten bucks a week to go see a 16 car nitro show... okay ten bucks for The PDA Meet or The Manufacturer's Meet...

Pacifica High, class of '73... well they say '72 because I did it in 3 1/3 years...

Check the blog... it's gonna be enlightening:eek:

Same year to graduate high school, so we grew up in the same era.

However, I must say that I'm still envious 'bout all the So Cal drags you got to attend back in the days.

All I got to see back then was the Nats (first in '69) and varoius races in the midwest. Nhra CMH, Pop Rod Meets up in Martin, US 30, Byron, Ill for the mfgs. funny car meets. Assorted others.

Good stuff, indeed, but definitely not the PDA or OC stuff.

Man, I hope you got pics you can share some time. :D

According to the Bristol Dragway website, past winner list...the track was NHRA from 1965 to 1967.....AHRA from 1968 to 1970 at which time IHRA was founded. IHRA sanctioned from 1971 to 1997....NHRA from 2000 to present.

Hope this helps sort it all out.

MaC

thanks for pics. they are awesome.
I love these threads where all you 'middle aged' guys take
us all back with the dates / names / events / cars / trivia......thanks.

i was hooked for life too the first time i went to the drags.
cordova, '75 world series - i was 9.

Yeah, Thanks Dave... Guess the IHRA is older than I thought...

And Steve, A funny thing Happened while I was oversea... NOT.
Folks sold the place in GG, moved to Virginia Beach... and everything... (all the Photos, 5 years of Drag Racing USA, all my SS/DI's from 64 to 73... all my CarCrafts, Drag News from 67 on, my N/D's)... all of it, stayed in California.... just junk I guess...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back