Great Drag Illustrated article with Don Garlits (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
https://dragillustrated.com/big-daddy-don-garlits-tells-all/

About 1000 ft racing:
"In defense of the NHRA, that was [supposed to be] just a piecemeal deal. I’ll never forget it. Tom Compton himself told me that they weren’t going to do this long, just going to finish the year out and then they’re going to get their ducks in a row, get all the crew chiefs together and cut these motors back and go back to a quarter-mile. Here it is, years later and it’s still that thousand foot.

The spectators just hate it."

This is why Garlits is my TF hero (Force is my FC hero), he just fixed the whole NHRA problem in one interview......will anyone listen to him?

One important thing that people forget is the attraction of watching crews tear down then rebuild the engines. If only allowed one engine and can't take it apart then the NHRA pit experience would be no more.

One important thing that people forget is the attraction of watching crews tear down then rebuild the engines. If only allowed one engine and can't take it apart then the NHRA pit experience would be no more.

Yep that was one thing that struck me as odd...but then again may Big was on a roll. Another thing that struck me as odd was his comment about the former captain of the ship and the 1/4mi versus 1000'ft fiasco we currently find ourselves in. From that statement...sounds like ole' TC dropped the ball and failed to corral the herd back to the ranch on that one...

Man does Clifford have a mess on his hands...but man what good points from the godfather himself. NHRA would hear nothing of what Dale Armstrong said....maybe they will listen to this guy....and if not....I am afraid that is not good news for the future.

Big Daddy will always be one of the coolest dudes to ever strap on a helmet. Same thing with the Snake, a cool dude with a brilliant drag racing mind.

I think if Clifford wanted to try and salvage what's left of the sport, he'd take into condsideration what guys like Garlits have to say. It's funny, but in the fuel ranks I keep reading that it would be in everybody's best interest to drop performance of the cars, go back to 1/4 mile racing, and reduce the costs to be competitive which would level the playing field. So why won't NHRA and the Fuel teams give serious considerations to those ideas?

I did chuckle when Big Daddy said he'd eliminate spraying the tracks, now and forever. I'm one fan that could do without the constant track prep between rounds, and those loudmouths running around screaming and shooting T-shirts into the crowd. Let's have less track prep, and more racing!

Finally, if you did require the Fuel teams to run the same block all weekend, there would still be plenty of stuff to watch between rounds in the pits. Heck, if the beasts were tamed down a bit, maybe they'd be able to get back to doing throttle whacks when they warm 'em up in the pits. Or maybe.....the crowds would actually stay in the seats while the Fuel cars were pitting, and be able to watch some great racing in other categories.

We keep revisiting the same themes for Fuel Racing: Go back to 1/4 mile, slow the cars down, reduce costs for competitors, broaden the level of competition, and get back to putting on a great racing show versus putting up mind-numbing performance numbers on the scoreboard. It would sure be nice to see full fields at every event, too.

NHRA, are you listening?

Big Daddy will always be one of the coolest dudes to ever strap on a helmet. Same thing with the Snake, a cool dude with a brilliant drag racing mind.

I think if Clifford wanted to try and salvage what's left of the sport, he'd take into condsideration what guys like Garlits have to say. It's funny, but in the fuel ranks I keep reading that it would be in everybody's best interest to drop performance of the cars, go back to 1/4 mile racing, and reduce the costs to be competitive which would level the playing field. So why won't NHRA and the Fuel teams give serious considerations to those ideas?

I did chuckle when Big Daddy said he'd eliminate spraying the tracks, now and forever. I'm one fan that could do without the constant track prep between rounds, and those loudmouths running around screaming and shooting T-shirts into the crowd. Let's have less track prep, and more racing!

Finally, if you did require the Fuel teams to run the same block all weekend, there would still be plenty of stuff to watch between rounds in the pits. Heck, if the beasts were tamed down a bit, maybe they'd be able to get back to doing throttle whacks when they warm 'em up in the pits. Or maybe.....the crowds would actually stay in the seats while the Fuel cars were pitting, and be able to watch some great racing in other categories.

We keep revisiting the same themes for Fuel Racing: Go back to 1/4 mile, slow the cars down, reduce costs for competitors, broaden the level of competition, and get back to putting on a great racing show versus putting up mind-numbing performance numbers on the scoreboard. It would sure be nice to see full fields at every event, too.

NHRA, are you listening?
For the most part, the Pro drivers, CC's, and owners have made it clear they are happy in the current format. Most feel the sport is safer this way.

Certainly no Nitro owner wants to have a garage full of obsolete stuff. Despite what everyone on this site thinks, there are but a few team owners that could honestly afford to implement the changes that have been talked about over the years. It will always be about the $$ no matter which side of the problem you stand on. Nitro racing in its current form is really expensive, but making sweeping changes to "slow" the cars down and return to 1/4 mile racing will also be expensive when you have to obsolete everything and essentially start over. Not sure that wouldn't lower the participation permanently.

For the most part, the Pro drivers, CC's, and owners have made it clear they are happy in the current format. Most feel the sport is safer this way.

Certainly no Nitro owner wants to have a garage full of obsolete stuff. Despite what everyone on this site thinks, there are but a few team owners that could honestly afford to implement the changes that have been talked about over the years. It will always be about the $$ no matter which side of the problem you stand on. Nitro racing in its current form is really expensive, but making sweeping changes to "slow" the cars down and return to 1/4 mile racing will also be expensive when you have to obsolete everything and essentially start over. Not sure that wouldn't lower the participation permanently.

But when you have a product to sell, the ones that you need to worry about being happy are the customers, not the owners, crew chiefs and drivers........

For me, personally, I didn't, and still don't like the move to 1,000. But after seeing it live, it wasn't a whole lot different and I've adapted. However, if the sanctioning body doesn't learn how to properly manage the rules to keep expenses at bay, they'll keep going quicker and faster. What's next, 1/8 mile fuel racing? If that happens, I'll definitely be out. It's time the NHRA as an organization owns where they've allowed the sport to evolve to and get on top of it. For Christ's sake, you can't even build a competitive Super Class car without spending a small fortune due to all the dumba$$, weak-suck electronics they're now allowed (and sometimes not allowed) to use.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. I hear this all the time about all the obsolete parts people will have laying around if changes are made. Are you kiddin' me?? There are barely enough teams touring to consistently field a full show, and MUCH less WELL funded teams. When more than half the field is on a year-to-year basis, you can bet your a$$ they don't have inventory laying around. For that matter, it's not like the well funded teams have 5 years of stuff laying around either, because many of those sponsorship deals are year-to-year also. It is absolutely possible to have a phase-in program for future change. And if that change is what's good for the sport and it's survival, then THAT'S what the owners, crew chiefs and drivers need to be worrying about.

Sean D

Last edited:
But when you have a product to sell, the ones that you need to worry about being happy are the customers, not the owners, crew chiefs and drivers........

For me, personally, I didn't, and still don't like the move to 1,000. But after seeing it live, it wasn't a whole lot different and I've adapted. However, if the sanctioning body doesn't learn how to properly manage the rules to keep expenses at bay, they'll keep going quicker and faster. What's next, 1/8 mile fuel racing? If that happens, I'll definitely be out. It's time the NHRA as an organization owns where they've allowed the sport to evolve to and get on top of it. For Christ's sake, you can't even build a competitive Super Class car without spending a small fortune due to all the dumba$$, weak-suck electronics they're now allowed (and sometimes not allowed) to use.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. I hear this all the time about all the obsolete parts people will have laying around if changes are made. Are you kiddin' me?? There are barely enough teams touring to consistently field a full show, and MUCH less WELL funded teams. When more than half the field is on a year-to-year basis, you can bet your a$$ they don't have inventory laying around. For that matter, it's not like the well funded teams have 5 years of stuff laying around either, because many of those sponsorship deals are year-to-year also. It is absolutely possible to have a phase-in program for future change. And if that change is what's good for the sport and it's survival, then THAT'S what the owners, crew chiefs and drivers need to be worrying about.

Sean D
Sean, I actually think we agree but are just saying it differently. The big teams have plenty of stuff. It all boils down to what you can afford or are willing to spend regardless of your financial position. It might hurt the big teams less, but who is gonna pay for all that? Sponsors? Probably not the mega team owners themselves. Would you? I'll use AJ as proof, most of the big team owners ARE NOT going to invest their own money to save the sport. They are all smarter businessmen than that.

I can see it now ...
Team Owner: "Hey ABC Corp. Marketing Guy, our normal budget is typically $1M for a season (example only), however this year we have a new rules package from NHRA and our current inventory of parts and pieces (maybe even frames) is no longer viable so we have to purchase all this new stuff, plus travel, plus race weekend expenses, you on board?"

ABC Corp Marketing Guy: "Tell you what I'll do Mr. Team Owner, I'll split the difference with you 50/50. We got a deal?"

Would we see 4 car teams reduced to 2 cars or 2 car teams down to 1 just to stretch the $$. How will that help the field size? Yikes !!!

For the smaller team, their inventory just happens to be mostly on the race car and some spare pieces in the trailer. However, to them that is a big scrap hit if they need to buy all new stuff. So what do they do, dip into their 401K's or life savings to keep racing? Typically these teams purchase "gently" used stuff from the big teams. In the case of sweeping change to slow the cars down and go back 1/4 mile racing, it is back to square 1 for all teams and that used inventory would not be available. You would essentially park the small guy for a year or 2 (if not permanently) while used spare parts became more prevalent in the pits.

Anybody here ever try to put toothpaste back in the tube? Kind of seems like where we are at.

I think you're right, Jim. We pretty much agree......

But it sounds like either way you go, we have the potential for less and less participation. I guess that's why I would think a phase-in/warning of changes ahead would be the best way to go, rather than what they've done to Pro Stock, saying here's what we're going to do............now.

In other words, if we keep the status quo, the expense is outta sight and keeping teams on the sidelines AND from jumping in fresh. If long-term plans for change were instituted, we may very well see teams drop out like you eluded to due to the reasons you mentioned, but maybe could see a resurgence once it washes out.

Hell, I don't know...... Lol!

Sean D

I don't think a backed-down tune-up is going to obsolete a bunch of parts. How many drivetrain parts last more than a season (if not a certain number of passes) anyway? Garlits has often pointed out that, with the quality of today's components, a milder "bomb" would make today's parts last a long time. This is such a tired conversation, however something really has to be done. If NHRA can find a formula to ratchet things back a bit, which lowers operating costs and makes parts last longer, we'd quickly see more part time teams stepping up to more races, and more new teams forming. IMO at least.

7 years ago i thought 1/4 mile and lesser mph/ets would eventually return, but what's goin' on rite now is simply amazing,
and i think it's being done many times more safely than in the past.
i just can't get my head around what the nhra has rite now as sports entertainment.....it is simply mind boggling what happens
in front of you in a 1000'.....why there is so little interest eludes me.....you don't have to be a 'car' person to be in awe
of a 300 mph machine at ridiculous decibel levels.....it is so unique, there is nothing else like it.....it's rite up there with rocket/shuttle
launches, military planes taking off, fireworks/explosions.

i wouldn't look for many changes in the near future if the teams have the money to safely do this.
it is definitely a wealthy pursuit; for every owner that plays for a while and leaves, there will be another to fill the position.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back