Dixon Debuts New Team at Gainesville (1 Viewer)

IMO......this will end up working out in IHRA's favor because this little 3 sq ft decal is going to get a lot more press now than it would have otherwise.

I have a feeling that if Larry wouldn't have signed on to be part of the IHRA board this week, it may have all worked out, just my opinion.

I think the NHRA has virtually always had some degree of say so over who can run livery on your racecar. It's their sandbox (well if you take the time to read the rulebook).

HMMMMMMM.............. just maybe a planned strategy to get some free publicity and make NHRA look a little childish...

seems to be working out that way, Whit is kind of a evil fellow

Been thinking about this. So I own the biggest resteraunt in town. One of my struggling competitors wants to buy advertising space on my menu. Do I allow it? Probably not.

Still think the IHRA is on the verge of collapse. While hiring big name drag stars to an advisory group might keep some investors from jumping ship I still don't see any real movement towards a professional series. Just seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Hope I'm wrong.

You are the new President of a struggling race sanctioning body, and you want some advertising for an upcoming race. What will get you the most bang for your buck?

You are a returning champion finally able to field your own entry and a little extra gossip will go a long way to maybe securing other sponsorship money. What's an easy way to get some tongues flapping?

A simple sticker from the rival sanctioning body on the most talked about returning champion racer's car should do the trick quite nicely

In the interest of fairness, a few years ago when we made an exhibition lap at the Route 66 national event, NHRA required us to remove our IHRA decal as well as our NitroJam decal from the car and put an NHRA decal on. I also put the NHRA contestant sticker on the car because it was my hometown event and I thought it was cool to have on there. A couple weeks later at our next IHRA national event we were told both decals had to be removed before we would be allowed to run.

Need more cars not less, I understand NHRA and it's rights but short fields are not good either.

Rick

So now NHRA restricts who can "sponsor" your car..............so does Larry still get paid?????

Doubt we will see him back again, being on the IHRA board and all.

Kind of a conflict of interest??? I would think IHRA would be more upset. Board member racing in the competitors event.

but stupid on NHRA's part
He's on the advisory board, not the BOD. So yeah they are nuts to mess with decals and all that. But it's okay to have political (TRUMP) advertising on your cars?

Been thinking about this. So I own the biggest resteraunt in town. One of my struggling competitors wants to buy advertising space on my menu. Do I allow it? Probably not.

Still think the IHRA is on the verge of collapse. While hiring big name drag stars to an advisory group might keep some investors from jumping ship I still don't see any real movement towards a professional series. Just seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Hope I'm wrong.
2018 the Pro Show will hit ESPN2 and ESPN3.

You are the new President of a struggling race sanctioning body, and you want some advertising for an upcoming race. What will get you the most bang for your buck?

You are a returning champion finally able to field your own entry and a little extra gossip will go a long way to maybe securing other sponsorship money. What's an easy way to get some tongues flapping?

A simple sticker from the rival sanctioning body on the most talked about returning champion racer's car should do the trick quite nicely
Bob, seems like you have an insight into 'How to Bake a Cake with Mike Dunn". You summed it up spot on.

my next prediction is...
Street Outlaws decides they don't care about pissing off the NHRA anymore and goes down the yellow brick road hand in hand with the new IHRA....ratings and race attendance soars

Rob Geiger weighs in.

---MARCH MADNESS OF A DIFFERENT VARIETY, NHRA LOSING ITS GRIP ON REALITY---

NHRA has done a lot of really stupid things over the years but asking three-time world champion Larry Dixon to remove a sponsor sticker because it promoted an event at a non-NHRA track is pretty damn asinine.
There are so many reasons this was a poor decision by Senior Vice President of Racing Operations Graham Light. First of all, let's think about the show NHRA currently presents to its fans. For a pricey $74 a head, fans attending this weekend's Gatornationals get to watch 15 Top Fuel dragsters compete for the trophy. That's the same number of dragsters that showed up at the first two races of the season. A full field, of course, requires 16 entries, so fans have yet to see that this year.

Racing for the first time as a team owner/driver, Dixon managed to make it out to this event with a little help from Lucas Oil and Cordova International Raceway, the offending group he was forced to remove from his car. The rest of his expenses, in fact the majority of his expenses, are coming out of his own pocket.

Longtime fans will remember that Dixon started as a crew guy and worked his way into the driver's seat of Don "the Snake" Prudhomme's dragster. He wasn't born rich and hasn't become wealthy as a driver. He's racing because he loves the sport, and his sponsors and fans love his passion.

The sticker he was forced to remove promoted the 64th annual World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova, which takes place Aug. 25-27, and therefore does not conflict with any NHRA national event. Cordova is an IHRA track, the sticking point of this whole deal.

"Once upon a time, like back in the '70s, there was a big rivalry between NHRA and IHRA," Dixon said. "But that was 40-plus years ago. The IHRA is sportsman only this year. They are running zero pro categories. The World Series deal is a one-off spectator show. I can't understand how the NHRA can feel threatened in any way by this deal."

Ironically, and in a delicious twist of fate, the stink raised by the laughable insecurities of NHRA has given the World Series of Drag Racing way more publicity than it would have received if nothing had ever been said. Several major news outlets have picked up the story, making NHRA look utterly pathetic for forcing Dixon's hand.

Peter Clifford and staff, please listen to the fans -- worry about things that directly affect the product you are selling and leave the racers to raise the funding they need to keep this circus tent up. You are the King Kong of drag racing. This event isn't going to affect your bottom line in any way. You have incomplete pro fields, for goodness sake. If Dixon wasn't here you'd have 14 dragsters. Please let common sense prevail.

Rob Geiger

2018 the Pro Show will hit ESPN2 and ESPN3.
What classes? What cars? Read a press release that was nothing more then marketing BS. I really am hoping for something real. Attended many IHRA events in the past. It's healthy for the sport to have competing sanctioning bodies.

So, if the fields are light you compromise your (sanctioning bodies) values? What a batch of whiners. The team knew what to expect, and those on here did also, that's why everyone on here was pontificating about NHRA being nervous or fuming or whatever.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back