Larry Dixon (1 Viewer)

Rajunz

Nitro Member
Released from Bob Vandergriff Racing.............. from his Facebook page. Sucks for him this late.

For Immediate Release

Larry Dixon Ready for More Challenges in 2016;
Three-time NHRA Top Fuel Champion Set for New Opportunities

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Jan. 11, 2016) -- Three-time NHRA Mello Yello Series Top Fuel champion Larry Dixon returned to full-time racing in 2015 and, despite a spectacular and punishing crash in March, the popular Avon, Ind., driver recorded a strong fourth place finish in the final Top Fuel standings.

Last week, Dixon was released from Bob Vandergriff Racing following his impressive comeback to full-time competition and now seeks new drag racing opportunities for 2016.

Dixon, the second winningest Top Fuel driver in NHRA history with 62 wins, recorded six final round appearances in his full-time return to cockpit and proved to be in contention for a coveted fourth Top Fuel crown in the Mello Yello Countdown.

However, the dramatic accident at the NHRA Gatornationals in March made it a tough season for Dixon with several injuries. Larry suffered a fractured T-4 and 5 vertebrae in his (upper) back as well as a left knee bone contusion despite not missing a race after the Gainesville incident.

“I was able to walk away from the crash at Gainesville but, to be honest, I was banged up pretty good,” said Dixon, who became a guest on television shows such as Good Morning America, The Today Show, Fox & Friends and CNN Morning News after the crash. “I would have gotten back in the car the next day if we had a backup chassis. But, despite the injuries, I was able to not miss a race. That’s how I was raised.”

The front-end on Dixon’s Top Fueler collapsed near the finish line at nearly 300 miles per hour on a Gatornationals qualifying attempt, causing the racing machine to vault some 50 feet into the air at over 300 mph and slammed into the retaining wall. Dixon was able to step away from the carnage under his own power.

(Gatornationals Crash Video --
)

“The car’s front-end collapsed similar to my Memphis crash in 2000 (when Dixon suffered a broken leg but didn’t miss an NHRA national event),” Larry explained. “I was awake through the whole crash but I had a 109 G impact coming back down to earth and 45 G load when I hit the wall. It was a big one and I’m so thankful that the work we did on the cars with regards to the cockpit and safety equipment in the past 15 years did its job.”

Now, Dixon is ready for additional challenges in 2016 as he looks to new opportunities in the drag racing world.

“I’m finally 100 percent healed now and was excited about a championship run in 2016,” Dixon said. “I felt pretty good by October and Dr. (Terry) Trammell at Ortho Indy gave me the green light for a more aggressive workout program this off season.”

Dixon seeks a variety of opportunities including returning to the Top Fuel cockpit or team management or media positions similar to his past ESPN and NHRA announcing duties.

“I am anxious to get back out on the NHRA Mello Yello drag racing tour,” explained Dixon. “I want to thank Bob for the opportunity to get back to full-time racing and we had a good season with fourth in the points. It felt good to show I can still be relevant behind the wheel. I wish Mike (Guger, crew chief) and the whole crew good luck in 2016. Now, I know the timings not the best this late into the off season, but I would like to do whatever it takes to get back on the circuit, whether it’s driving, consulting or being a member of the media again.”

Dixon grew up at the drag strip following his father, Larry Sr., on the NHRA West Coast Top Fuel campaign. Larry Sr. won the 1970 NHRA Winternationals and several Divisional point titles.

Dixon later became a mechanic for Larry Minor and Don “Snake” Prudhomme teams before beginning his Top Fuel driving career in 1995, driving for Prudhomme. Dixon was named “Rookie of the Year” that year and captured his first of four Mac Tools U.S. Nationals titles.

For more information on Larry Dixon, please see his website at www.larrydixonracing.com.

# # #

Media contact: Tom Blattler, 317.525.5692, [email protected]

at least with the release from BVR, he can openly explore opportunities or offers.. I really hope something comes along.

Dixon going to force t/f cars season driving follow with A.J it's out there read between the lines watch

What lines are you guys reading between? Am I missing something? Did either John OR Alan find a backer for a car? Not saying it can't happen, just not seeing the signs that it has...

Is Larry back on Alan's Christmas card list yet? You guys are stretching...... Larry announced today he will be a NHRA columnist for Motorsports.com.

Nothing against Leah, but I've just about had it with NHRA PRO drag racing. Larry Dixon, the best driver in the NHRA being sidelined AGAIN? I don't get it. I think I'll just stick with local grass roots racing at Quaker City in Ohio. Larry, if you're reading this, if I win the billion dollar lottery, you WILL have a ride.

Your old friend Leebone

Lee I get it, but can you blame a team owner for going with someone who can bring some funding? And it's not like someone off the street just stepped into the seat, she has proven that she can drive, in a variety of cars. Having said that, I certainly hope Larry stays involved and gets another ride eventually. Nobody gets to do this forever, unless you can keep writing the check....

Lee, I'm a Dixon fan too, but Leah is not one of the typical "hand full of cash, passenger in a fast car" type of driver. She's proven herself through a wide group of rides and done well in all of them. AND she represents herself very well in an interview situation without falling into the rote recitation of sponsors drone. Like I said, I like Larry too, but "best driver in the NHRA"? Sorry, man, I just can't buy that.

somebody do the numbers and I'll bet Erica comes up as the best driver (leaving, steering, shifting, braking) of at least the last 2 years.....there's just more for the driver to do in a doorslammer than the fuelers

that said, Larry is probably the best NHRA driver currently without a ride.....*

*topping the list containing Scelzi, Arend and Skuza (and is Cory Mac still in a ride?) and so on.....;)

Last edited:
If that's a list of NHRA drivers without a ride, and actively looking for a ride, you'll need to take Scelzi and Skuza off of that list. Both have categorically stated they're done.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back