Deadly shooting at US university (2 Viewers)

When I give back tests, I'm sure glad my students don't have guns. They are law abiding kids, but some of them are not always happy with their grades!

I can tell you there has been times that I wished I had a gun after I got a test back, but it would be self inflicted.

Once, I had a family emergency and I needed to take my Goddaughter to school with me on a day that we were getting an exam back. I told her to sit down, on her butt, be very very quiet, and to color or draw or whatever i had for her to do.

Surprisingly, she complied, until...the TA handed back my exam, Dest said, in the loudest whisper you can imagine "Auntie! Auntie, what does 52 mean in big red letters?!?!"

Once, I had a family emergency and I needed to take my Goddaughter to school with me on a day that we were getting an exam back. I told her to sit down, on her butt, be very very quiet, and to color or draw or whatever i had for her to do.

Surprisingly, she complied, until...the TA handed back my exam, Dest said, in the loudest whisper you can imagine "Auntie! Auntie, what does 52 mean in big red letters?!?!"

Jenn,

If it was a grade on one of your Finance tests, I hope you said, "In this class a 52 means I did well."

I will just say this, if people were allowed to carry weapons he wouldnt have killed 32 people b/c after the first few unsuspecting ones someone else would have returned the favor.

Exactly. The number I heard the other night is that we have 250 million firearms in a country of 300 million. No gun control laws in the world are going to remove the availability of guns from the hands of the criminals. The only people you can effect are the citizens who would OBEY those laws (and I wouldn't even be one of them.)

Even if you COULD remove guns from the hands of criminals, what kinds of programs do you think CNC machines would be running at night? Just how much money in steel do you think it costs to produce a pistol? You're talking about one of the cheapest metals on earth because of the volume in which it's produced.

We have a population that's conditioned to "guns are bad" and the image of people carrying guns seems to be a bad one in the minds of many. That's just ignoring the reality that criminals are ALREADY out there carrying.

You can't compare a country that's already this saturated in firearms with one that isn't. You can put forth idealisms all day long, but they mean nothing against realisms.

l want to say l'm very sorry to the people l have upset about what l've said about the shooting at the Virginia Tech University.

But l'm not apologising to Daniel Bennett who stabs me in the back at any chance he can get on this forum and the British drag racing forum.

I do not stab you in the back John. I correct you or tell you if i dont agree with your opinion? Isn't that what forums are for? Debate?

If i upset you so much with my posts that are THOUGHT through before posting then why not put me on your block list?

I only got involved here because yet again you have given us British a bad name.

You seem to kind of bring that on yourself there, John.

Thankyou for your backing David, i only come and sweep up the mess behind the man to try save some sort of reputation for the real fans of Racing from Great Britain.

I would like to thank the people who messaged me supporting my comments over the last 2 days.

Have any of you been involved in Hokie Hope Day outside of Virginia?

We are wearing orange and maroon. Many places are having moments of silence and candlelight vigils this evening. I had to go to the corporate ofice of Sentara Health Care today in Norfolk, VA. I entered the lobby just as their memorial began. They ended with the Hokie cheer. It was sad and inspiring at the same time. Many employees are graduates of VT, and one woman who spoke is a third generation Hokie.

Roland's company is based in San Diego and the CEO graduated from VT with a masters in engineering. He is also American-Korean and felt the unfortunate need to apologize on behalf of his ethnic community.

Please continue to pray for all the victims, as I fear that they face darker days ahead as the shock and numbness give way to pure grief.

Roland's company is based in San Diego and the CEO graduated from VT with a masters in engineering. He is also American-Korean and felt the unfortunate need to apologize on behalf of his ethnic community.

I had a moment of silence at the beginning of my noon class. BTW, I don't see what the CEO should apologize because of what another person of his ethnic group did. I can't take credit for what other Irish-Americans have accomplished nor am I taking the blame for what others have done that no person would be proud of. It's important to be proud of one's culture and learn about other cultures, but we really need to stop looking at people in terms of their ethnicity and gender.

I had a moment of silence at the beginning of my noon class. BTW, I don't see what the CEO should apologize because of what another person of his ethnic group did. I can't take credit for what other Irish-Americans have accomplished nor am I taking the blame for what others have done that no person would be proud of. It's important to be proud of one's culture and learn about other cultures, but we really need to stop looking at people in terms of their ethnicity and gender.

That's what I meant to convey in my post. Sorry if I fouled that up and offended anyone. Maybe I should have used a different font for "unfortunate". Being married to someone from a different ethnicity has shown us just how delicate the subject is. Many non-whites have a low level of fear that they will be set upon after something like this happens. Mob mentality is alive and well. We have left the mall on more than one occassion because a group of white guys and/or a group of Filipinas have given us looks that gave us both the shivers.

Being married to someone from a different ethnicity has shown us just how delicate the subject is. Many non-whites have a low level of fear that they will be set upon after something like this happens. Mob mentality is alive and well. We have left the mall on more than one occassion because a group of white guys and/or a group of Filipinas have given us looks that gave us both the shivers.

I understand Kelly that the world isn't perfect, but it's getting better. When I was a kid, it was dangerous to even date a person of a different color and I grew up in supposedly liberal Connecticut. I'm sure that there are people now who don't approve of interracial dating, but they are the ones who are on the defensive when it comes to expressing that point of view. And I suspect that when your kids are my age, a marriage of mixed races will be looked on the way a marriage between an Irish person and an Italian person once was.

I go by Blacksburg twice a week on my way to the northeast and back. When I came through yesterday afternoon it looked like it normally might when there's a home game. Students around there have forever tried to come up with every variety of "Hokie" vanity plate on their cars that they could think of, and there were plenty in the area.

There's plenty of signage around Bristol by people and businesses offering their condolences.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back