Spencer Massey (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
First of all, it's obvious I'm a huge Dixon fan, but after attending Norwalk, I'm bummed that Spencer Massey didn't have a bigger crowd at his pit, which was just a few doors down from Dixon who had huge crowds at his, me being one of them. But dang, the Snake team is where Larry came from and earned his prestige. Spencer has taken over for Larry very well and I believe he's on his way to becoming one of the greats. I would be hugely surprised if he isn't rookie of the year. Come on people, give it up for Spencer. He's an awesome driver and deadly at the tree. The Snake doesn't hire slouches. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

First of all, it's obvious I'm a huge Dixon fan, but after attending Norwalk, I'm bummed that Spencer Massey didn't have a bigger crowd at his pit, which was just a few doors down from Dixon who had huge crowds at his, me being one of them. But dang, the Snake team is where Larry came from and earned his prestige. Spencer has taken over for Larry very well and I believe he's on his way to becoming one of the greats. I would be hugely surprised if he isn't rookie of the year. Come on people, give it up for Spencer. He's an awesome driver and deadly at the tree. The Snake doesn't hire slouches. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

He is a decent shoe but he ain't no rookie! ;)

Spencer is the real deal ! Snake knows how to pick Em !
He hired Spencer before Larry had his ride secured.

By NHRA definition he is a rookie because they don't recognise anything concerning the IHRA !
I'd give it to him anyway as he really doesn't have a quarter the experence of many who won like Jason Line or Darryl Russell , RIP one of my favororite drivers .

Spencer is the real deal ! Snake knows how to pick Em !
He hired Spencer before Larry had his ride secured.

By NHRA definition he is a rookie because they don't recognise anything concerning the IHRA !
I'd give it to him anyway as he really doesn't have a quarter the experence of many who won like Jason Line or Darryl Russell , RIP one of my favororite drivers .

I heard Snakes deal is one of the lowest paying in the sport, that's the real reason he got Massey I'll bet.

it takes time to build a fan base. It'll come for Spencer.

And I agree not really a rookie but either is Hagan or Hope. Langdon is the only rookie rookie but unless he gets some wins or finishes higher then Massey in the points he wont be roty

With success comes the crowd.

I remember '97 Topeka..Force's camp packed..walked next door to the teamate..uhh..just a little guy named Tony. It was awesome.

Clock1.jpg

Been hanging in my room for 12 years..oh..and that's 18" x 18"

And I agree not really a rookie but either is Hagan or Hope. Langdon is the only rookie rookie but unless he gets some wins or finishes higher then Massey in the points he wont be roty
I've would venture to say that Langdon probably has 4X the number of passes down a quarter mile than Massey does. What's a rookie by definition???

Lance I would say there is a difference between passes in a super comp car and passes in a Nitro powered machine. Spencer was the IHRA Top Fuel champ last year. Hagan drove IHRA Funny Car last year.

Granted we could argue bigger league, college vs pro, minors vs majors. But hell the guy drove them for a year at 1320 as a champ, seems silly the next year to crown him rookie of the year at a shorter distance. Seems like a slap to him and to the IHRA.

Lance I would say there is a difference between passes in a super comp car and passes in a Nitro powered machine. Spencer was the IHRA Top Fuel champ last year. Hagan drove IHRA Funny Car last year.

Granted we could argue bigger league, college vs pro, minors vs majors. But hell the guy drove them for a year at 1320 as a champ, seems silly the next year to crown him rookie of the year at a shorter distance. Seems like a slap to him and to the IHRA.
You forget who you are talking about.:rolleyes: This by the same bunch that brought ya the chase:p:rolleyes:

I don't think it would be silly if he were to be crowned NHRA ROY this year, the distance has nothing to do with it, it has everything to do with the Major League competition that they are all racing against this season, the IHRA is Busch League in comparison.

May the best man win.

true distance isn't the issue. And I can deal with the major league/minor league arguement, still it seems silly to me. Anything even close and my vote will be for Langdon and thats not meant as a knock against the other veter...err I mean rookies :)

Just curious then. What did you think about Antron not being eligible for roty when he moved from bikes to nitro?

true distance isn't the issue. And I can deal with the major league/minor league arguement, still it seems silly to me. Anything even close and my vote will be for Langdon and thats not meant as a knock against the other veter...err I mean rookies :)

Just curious then. What did you think about Antron not being eligible for roty when he moved from bikes to nitro?

Yep, I've also had that same thought about Antron, but Pro Stock Bike is a professional catagory, therefore.........................;)

My deal with Langdon is that he is a RACER, he was raised by RACER's, he knows how to win, he is very much a professional, regardless of how fast his previous cars were.

With that thought, I feel like people are trying to take something away from Massey and the other ROTY candidates with these arguements..........they're all playing by the same rules.

Last edited:

To me, the difference is the competition, not the track length. How many times has Spencer whipped Shoe this year?

Yes he's new to nhra but not to the class. To me rookie status is what you run not who you ran it against.

Its not a bid deal, just to me seems odd if they crown a guy as rookie of the year who is already a champ in that class.

that would be like saying a guy who played in japan couldn't be rookie of the year in the american league.

I like spencer , he's a great driver and very good on tv.

Well i would do it for free:)

You can count me in as part of the Massey fan base! I think he is doing a fantastic job. Regardless of what you consider a rookie, Spencer Massey has busted onto the NHRA scene very nicely. He's professional, enthusiastic and obviously loves the sport...how many Top Fuel drivers are down on the line involved with A/Fuel cars???? That really showed me some humbleness and that he hasn't forgotten where he came from. Nicely Done Spencer!:cool:

As for what Snake pays.....He pays with 8000hp, launching at 6g-forces, 300+mph weekend action. Find me a day job in the city that can pay you that? Yeah, Sounds good enough to me! When can I start?:D

You can count me in as part of the Massey fan base! I think he is doing a fantastic job. Regardless of what you consider a rookie, Spencer Massey has busted onto the NHRA scene very nicely. He's professional, enthusiastic and obviously loves the sport...how many Top Fuel drivers are down on the line involved with A/Fuel cars???? That really showed me some humbleness and that he hasn't forgotten where he came from. Nicely Done Spencer!:cool:

As for what Snake pays.....He pays with 8000hp, launching at 6g-forces, 300+mph weekend action. Find me a day job in the city that can pay you that? Yeah, Sounds good enough to me! When can I start?:D

oh no doubt, he has done an excellent job

Yrs. truly has a large predudice towards Langdon since I partly take responsibility for his discovery (Mostly though, by my partner Harold Holiday) In the early days of Junoir Dragster we'd built a car to evaluate Harold's HRD clutches in JD class. He approached Shawn's dad Chad after watching the kid perform at Rialto Raceway -ya can't believe the number of NHRA Wally winner's, high adult points finishers kids came out of those races- and Shawn became our test driver (at an undisclosed abandoned stretch of old Rte 66).

He brings TALENT to the game!

Can't put a dollar value on that!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back