Deadly shooting at US university (1 Viewer)

I was amazed watching the news as to how people try to blame this on university or the police. How were they to do that what appeared to be an isolated domestic incident would turn out to be worse.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so here the blame is being tossed towards those on charge instead of the freak &$**#@ that did this.

As for gun laws, I'm hated by both sides. I am a gun owner(hunter) but don't want anyone else to have one. I'd like to think that IF someone else had a weapon that they could have stopped the carnage but in reality I just see that person accidently shooting people as they run away. Where I work we do Live action weapons simualtion training fro police. It's not as easy as you think.

What I hate is everytime something happens, people try and blame everyone. Fact of the matter is, no matter what VT had in place, if a pissed off person wants to walk onto a school campus and open fire nothing is going to stop them. I think most people are upset b/c the first 2 shootings happened 2 hours earlier. But if I were the police I would have thought that they were isolated as well. Plus they had no idea where/who the gunmen was and they had beleive he had left the building.

Its sad that people go to doing these sorts of things, but GUNS dont kill people, PEOPLE kill people. If the Government ever decides to outlaw guns it will turn into the biggest revolt in US history.

did anyone else hear a story stating the serial #'s on the
perpetrator's handguns had been filed off?
whether they were or not - it is absurd to think these actions
would have been prevented or different due to changes
in gun control law.
lack of moral code for our youth IS a huge problem;
i think future reports about this youthful murderer will reveal this.

Anyone want to bet the Networks/Media was PRAYING this kid was a White male? Accusations about what racist organizations he belonged to, what Radio programs he listens too? Minorities are and will always be considered Victims.

a sobering perspective of the VT massacre

The following was forwarded to me by a friend and former classmate, now living in North Carolina and working at Duke University Medical center... Jackee
(I'm sure that those with eyes, will see and those with ears will hear the spiritual reality in the following. )

This is from my friend whose son (Josh) winding up a 4-year missionary tour in the Dominican Republic and who graduated from VT with Michael Vick (now the quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons).

Hello Everyone:
Joshua knows that many people are thinking about him at this time & wondering what his reaction is to what happened. In response he has sent this to me; it was posted by a friend of his, Reid Monghon, who was involved with “Athletics in Action” through ‘Campus Crusade for Christ’ while at Virginia Tech & is now at a Church in Tenn., Reid’s words express Joshua’s sentiments exactly.

He ask that we continue to pray for all those families who have lost a loved one
By His grace ~ Dianna ~

April 17, 2007

I have waited many hours before even beginning to write down my thoughts and feelings regarding yesterday's atrocious murders on the campus of Virginia Tech. Yesterday was a very odd day for me. I was personally laid up in bed with illness, unable to do much of anything. I prayed quite a bit, fielding phone calls from friends, listened to voice messages from many more, and refreshed my web browser often to see the latest news. Many of you may not know that Kasey and I spent some six years in Blacksburg, a place that we still consider in many ways "our home." We had several miscarriages there, had our first two children there, connected deeply with the local church there, ministered there, loved there, and some ways left a part of our souls in that little Southwestern Virginia town.

Watching the images on TV and on the net for us was more than surreal - it was very real. West AJ, the site of the first two murders, was on my normal route from athletic facilities, to Cochrane dorm where many athletes lived, to the West End dining facility where I ate many a meal with students. I can still see in my mind the doors of West Ambler Johnson from the windows of West End. The hokie stone buildings, the green grass of the drill field, all echoed the joys of work with human beings on that campus. It is all too real for me. Norris Hall is a stone's throw from the philosophy classes I took on campus, where I experienced September 11th with a group of students in class that cold Tuesday morning in 2001. So many good, right, and true things took place in my soul on that campus, and in the lives of many students there. God is at work there - then, and now, but in such a different way on this Tuesday morning. It is all too real to me.

Yesterday, evil visited the campus at Virginia Tech. Yes, I am sure the normal tripe about the shooter being crazy, insane etc. will be offered. We like insanity and sickness for our own much better than we like evil and depravity. The fact that 33 young people died of gun shot is no stranger to the inner city hospitals of America, but this is different for enlightened civilized western culture. Here the shootings were not in the ghetto, but on the campus. Here the shootings were among the elite, educated, the height of the civilized world - the university. Our view of ourselves as moderns cannot bear the weight of such inhumanity happening amidst the halls of learning. Our schools should be safe, this should not happen and so we are shocked that it did. So now the normal media circus and blame game has begun in typical fashion while no one seems to be stopping to examine our own souls. The worldview of Scripture is much different than that of mainstream western culture. We see ourselves as good, pure, civilized with only the bad apples of ignorance, poverty, and lack of education letting us down. Yet are we that good? Or are we in need of grace, forgiveness, transformation? Something is afoul in the heart of the human race, though we numb ourselves with entertainment and material possessions to not have to face this any more. The reality is that a human being murdered 33 of his fellow souls yesterday, even his own life. What are we to do? Many will blame God, many will go to him, many perhaps might hear the voice of Jesus through it all, most will blame others, weep, and wonder what is happening in this thing called life.

What did Jesus say in the midst of tragedy? It is both shocking and liberating to read. It is not as kind as you may hear from a grief counselor, nor as crass as you will hear from the talking heads pointing their fingers. But in his words we see reality - the world indeed is fallen, and those in it depraved. But in his own suffering of violence we can be changed, redeemed yet the cost is high to humanity. It requires looking in the mirror, being honest about our sin, and coming needy to God. I will let him speak for himself:
There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Luke 13:1-5
Our paths ahead are no doubt lingered with atrocities, our own mortality, and the call of the gospel receives grace from God. How do we make sense of wickedness? We do not. Evil is to life as a contradiction is to reason - it simply is out of place, twisted, and grotesque. Yet until we acknowledge the verity of Jesus' words “There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him...For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person” we are no further along than we imagine ourselves to be. This is a moment not for pessimism, but for hope - but hope not that we humanity will save itself and we shall never have to see the face of darkness again on the earth. No, our solace, hope, and triumph must come from our maker - the one who can transform and redeem our darkened hearts...even during the days that threaten to crush the soul and lead us to despair. Yet repentance and faith are humiliating to us when we would rather blame others and exalt ourselves. We would make the world better you see - if it were not for THEM, the world would be a better place. So we remain self-deceived in the midst of our pain and confusion.

When God visited this world in flesh, it is not surprising where he went and what he had to undergo. His blood was spilled and splattered on ancient walls so that the blood of the living might be redeemed. Let not this time pass in vain.

Please pray for our friends in Blacksburg, there are many burdens to bear and more love to give, grief and mourning to be shared...in just such a time as this. Friends on the ground in Montgomery county, Kasey and I are praying for you and love you very deeply. We are deeply sorrowful and ache with all of you.

Posted at 10:55 AM by Reid S. Monaghan, Category: Peripateō - My Walk

Karl, you're more than welcome. With this horrific shooting l'm glad l'm living in England and not in America.

This shooting will happen again and again as your gun laws are abysmal, and apparently Virginia has the most lax laws in the America.

State Gun Laws :: Virginia

Since the Terrorists somehow got around your stringent Gun laws to blow up your Bus and Trains, I guess your Gun laws ain't working are they?

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Deadly shooting at US university

No doubt people in America will be outraged - but nothing ever happens, it's up to you.
:( :( :( :(
Who are you to say who is and who is not outraged???? there is nothing you can do about fruitcakes that go out and murder people. Guns can be gotten anywhere legal or illegally. I think you should just worry about your own country and leave ours to us. Since you know so much about the gun laws here, tell us how many law abiding american gun owners murdered people here in our country. Yes it will happen again because there are sick people in every culture, and there is nothing you can do to stop somebody when you dont know what they are going to do.

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Deadly shooting at US university

No doubt people in America will be outraged - but nothing ever happens, it's up to you.

John no need to rub people the wrong way which reading some of your posts seems to be the norm! :confused:

Japan has some of the strictest gun laws of any country but that didn't stop a criminal from killing the mayor in Nagasaki by shooting him in the back! :cool:

If it wasn't for this country you would be speaking German it's funny how people forget! :eek:

If it wasn't for this country you would be speaking German it's funny how people forget! :eek:

Bob get your facts right. The Battle of Britain the most important event in Royal Air Force history, the Battle fought over Britain between the 10th July and 31st October 1940. Before your country entered the war. The Royal Air Force was outnumbered 10 to 1 by the German Luftwaffe, but won the air battle causing Hitler to cancel Operation Sealion - World War II Nazi German plan to invade the United Kingdom, beginning in 1940.

During the Battle of Britain, a time known as "The Summer of 1940" when brave young Royal Air Force fighter pilots took to the air putting their experience, or the lack of it against the greatest airforce in the world.

Hence Prime Minister Winston Churchill's famous speech:
"Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."

My Dad died fighting for Great Britain in World War II

Let us not forget to pray for all victims of this tragedy:

The families and friends left behind

The family of Cho

and, indulge me if you would:
The owner, employees, their famiilies and friends, of Roanoke Firearms, where the Glock was purchased. Mr.Markell(sp) obeyed all laws and is not responsible for this. Nonetheless, he is receiving hateful calls and being harassed. This man is a law-abiding merchant involved in a legal trade. I spoke with someone by phone at the shop today, and Mr. Markell is sickened and saddened by what has happened.

Let us not forget to pray for all victims of this tragedy:

The families and friends left behind

The family of Cho

and, indulge me if you would:
The owner, employees, their famiilies and friends, of Roanoke Firearms, where the Glock was purchased. Mr.Markell(sp) obeyed all laws and is not responsible for this. Nonetheless, he is receiving hateful calls and being harassed. This man is a law-abiding merchant involved in a legal trade. I spoke with someone by phone at the shop today, and Mr. Markell is sickened and saddened by what has happened.

I saw him interviewed last night. He feels horrible.

People feel the need to place blame. Many times they pick the wrong people.
There are always many more victims in a tragedy, then the apparent ones. Most people forget about them. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Kelly.

Since the Terrorists somehow got around your stringent Gun laws to blow up your Bus and Trains, I guess your Gun laws ain't working are they?
Don't forget that since they passed their very strict private gun ownership laws home invasion robberies have gone up drastically. Yep, those gun laws sure are protecting people. :rolleyes: The criminals know they can break into houses and not worry about getting shot so they're no longer afraid.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back