Dave Connolly (2 Viewers)

Make me the 4th...

What did he do? Inquiring minds want to know.
The one that sticks in my mind the most was when he lost in the 2nd round in Vegas2 to Jeggie, during his interview he stated, "well I sure hope that whoever wins the championship, it's a car that deserves to be there and win it" Sounded like sour grapes on National TV, and a definite slap to his team mate. Hey Dave, weren't you also a beneficiary of the welfare system last year?:D

I wouldn't expect Shakespear's elequence from a prostock driver that just lost a championship.

I may be wrong, but I think WJ was having a little fun with Dave when he said that. He's actually got a pretty good sense of humor.
warrenjg2.jpg

Hey Dave, weren't you also a beneficiary of the welfare system last year?:D

In what was exactly was he a "beneficiary"? Yeah, so he technically was considered the points leader for a few races after Indy when he went on a 5 race win streak! But in the end he finished third, and a guy who would have been almost 9 rounds back from him won the Championship... I guess I am not seeing what his "benefits" were exactly... Maybe you could explain?

In what was exactly was he a "beneficiary"? Yeah, so he technically was considered the points leader for a few races after Indy when he went on a 5 race win streak! But in the end he finished third, and a guy who would have been almost 9 rounds back from him won the Championship... I guess I am not seeing what his "benefits" were exactly... Maybe you could explain?

Tim, cool down you know how some people are on here. Dave is a young gun and has somethings to learn. Maybe he said something and it was taken out of context. He is going tobe a great driver someday if he can catch some luck with the sponsers. What I mean is twice his sponser has been pulled from under him. Hope things work out for the best, and we see him out there this year.

The one that sticks in my mind the most was when he lost in the 2nd round in Vegas2 to Jeggie, during his interview he stated, "well I sure hope that whoever wins the championship, it's a car that deserves to be there and win it" Sounded like sour grapes on National TV, and a definite slap to his team mate. Hey Dave, weren't you also a beneficiary of the welfare system last year?:D

I remember that now now that you mention it. I remember thinking at the time he was taking a slap at the countdown.

Oppss I mentioned the "C" word - Sorry PJ.

I think Dave Connolly is an awesome driver and a great guy I hope he is back out there as soon as possible

Tim, cool down you know how some people are on here. Dave is a young gun and has somethings to learn. Maybe he said something and it was taken out of context. He is going tobe a great driver someday if he can catch some luck with the sponsers. What I mean is twice his sponser has been pulled from under him. Hope things work out for the best, and we see him out there this year.

Too late, Jay. He's already a great driver.

As for what he said after losing 2nd round in Vegas, I also think it was more of a slap to the countdown than it was to Jeggie. Like Tim said, though, Jeggie would've been 9 rounds back had the countdown not been in play, so I'm sure that frosted his ass a little. But we've also heard from a good source that he a Jeggie talk almost daily, so how mad could he be at him?

I'm not sure how much DC benefited from the new format because I didn't track old points versus new. But after he went on that 5-race tear, I'm sure he would've been in contention anyway. Does anyone know?

Sean D

I am not a big Dave Connolly fan, but from what I have heard and read he has worked hard to get where he is. In my opinion, he and Jeg are a toss-up for the best driver in the class. He might need a little polishing around the edges, which will come in time, in terms of his media skills, but I did not hear him say anything at the end of last season that was out of line. Just my two cents.

Too late, Jay. He's already a great driver.

As for what he said after losing 2nd round in Vegas, I also think it was more of a slap to the countdown than it was to Jeggie. Like Tim said, though, Jeggie would've been 9 rounds back had the countdown not been in play, so I'm sure that frosted his ass a little. But we've also heard from a good source that he a Jeggie talk almost daily, so how mad could he be at him?

I'm not sure how much DC benefited from the new format because I didn't track old points versus new. But after he went on that 5-race tear, I'm sure he would've been in contention anyway. Does anyone know?

Sean D

Sean, I can't remeber who did but someone posted the results old VS new after each race

Sean D

P/S
1 Anderson 1888--------------------------1 Coughlin 3217
2 Connolly 1803--------------------------2 Anderson 3173
3 Coughlin 1624--------------------------3 Connolly 3126
4 A Johnson 1270--------------------------4 A Johnson 3086
5 Line 1218--------------------------5 Line 2292
6 K Johnson 1147--------------------------6 K Johnson 2278
7 Stephens 1046--------------------------7 Morgan 2233
8 Gains 1015--------------------------8 W Johnson 2180
9 Morgan 989---------------------------9 Stevens 1056
10 W Johnson 963--------------------------10 Gaines 1025

Thanks, Tim.

So, going into Vegas it appears he was right in the hunt, right? And had he had a better final 2 races, it could've been very interesting.

Sean D

Either way you look at it Dave lost the championship by 85 points by the old system and 91 points by the new system, thats 5 rounds either way. So you can't say the Countdown hurt him at all.

Tom

Either way you look at it Dave lost the championship by 85 points by the old system and 91 points by the new system, thats 5 rounds either way. So you can't say the Countdown hurt him at all.

Tom

Dang it, Tom! Don't come barging into this conversation with things that make sense! What's the matter with you?! LMAO!!!

Seriously, though. That is a good point.

Sean D

Tom

How did it not hurt him though? Jeg would have finished 179 points behind him for second place? Yeah, he wouldn't have won the championship, no one is debating that... There IS a difference between finishing second and third though...

I wouldn't expect Shakespear's elequence from a prostock driver that just lost a championship.
I agree Ian, but I would expect him to be gracious in defeat.

He was given 162 points on Anderson going into Indy, which put him in the points lead.....................but most of all, it gave him the potential to win the championship, just as it did Jeggie. Everyone benefitted from the system EXCEPT Greg Anderson.

My point is, if he couldn't contain his thoughts, he should have said nothing at all, instead of bashing the system. The playing field was the same for all, bashing it (and his team mate) really came across to many as sour grapes.

And don't get me wrong, I really like Dave, I think he is one of the best racers in the NHRA, regardless of class. He has definitely earned his way.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back