Countdown changes? (1 Viewer)

I think it's bad that a part time team can come in a run a lot less races and still make the countdown while the full timers that run most if not all of the races are left out. Maybe it's time to deduct points for not attending an event, doesn't have to be much maybe like a round win (20 points) for not attending. You don't need to qualify just attend.

i like what chris cooley says about letting all teams race and see where they end up. 'top ten' does nothing for car counts, attendance, or tv ratings. lets say mello yello money is paid out
to the top 10 points after the finals. that would be cool if #13 after indy came on strong and got into a money spot. it adds incentive. it is inclusive, not exclusive to the remaining races after indy.

also still think nhra should have 4 majors every year and reward winners with a bigger purse. gainesville(150k to win) , something in the middle(150k to win),
indy(150k to win + 1.5 points), reset points, then 4 playoff races, then vegas 2(150k to win), plus1.5 points, and crown your champions + bonus pay......yes, a 23 race season.
.......or keep 24 events, move pomona 2 before vegas 2, and bump SEMA out a week to coincide with vegas 2 finals.

Last edited:
i like what chris cooley says about letting all teams race and see where they end up. 'top ten' does nothing for car counts, attendance, or tv ratings. lets say mello yello money is paid out
to the top 10 points after the finals. that would be cool if #13 after indy came on strong and got into a money spot.

also still think nhra should have 4 majors every year and reward winners with a bigger purse. gainesville, something in the middle, indy, and vegas 2.
I love the idea of having 4 Majors. Like you said, actually make them legit Majors with the increased purse and bonus points. I believe this would boost car counts, attendance and TV ratings. Plus make a bonus for the best overall points earners in the 4 Major races. Kind of a series within a series type of deal. Make it prestigious to win. Heck, to create maximum drama, make the World Finals at Pomona be the final round of the Majors as well, thus crowning both titles at the final event of the year. It would be YUGE!!!😁

to the top 10 points after the finals. that would be cool if #13 after indy came on strong and got into a money spot.

also still think nhra should have 4 majors every year and reward winners with a bigger purse. gainesville, something in the middle, indy, and vegas 2.
Any list of majors should include the Winternationals and World Finals. Vegas hasn't been around long enough to deserve that title.

The current system makes one major statement to me from Glendora PR "NHRA!! The season doesn't start until the Countdown begins. Get your tickets for Reading now fans!! Make your plans for February (errrrrrrr!) ..... September in Reading, PA!!!"

My feelings, I enjoy the Countdown very much.
But there must be a grander reward for a potential 6-8 win regular season.
I'm not smart enough to know the value of a race win in the regular season and thus how that should be rewarded in the Countdown.
Off the cuff, I would say one race win in the regular season should add 40 or 60 points to the reset total. (2 or 3 rounds)

Good Luck NHRA with your changes for 2020!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back