Cool NHRA pic of the week (1 Viewer)

I didn't say that stealing someone's IP or infringing copyright was okay.

I think the actual law, depending on what it is referring to, relates to the use for commercial purposes or monetary gain.

The guy wanted the image for his PC DESKTOP!

Anyone wanting to know how to make a copy of a CD... please don't ask me...

But I just want your car to sit in my driveway! I don't intend to use it for commercial purposes or monetary gain! I will enjoy looking at it sitting there.

That's all I need, right? It doesn't matter that you might have your own money in the car and maybe personal modifications -- just like Kommel/Shute have money in that image along with the skill it took to shoot it.

One of the things I like least about this board is the willingness of many of the regulars to promote/accept theft. Yes, copyright infringement is theft no matter how ridiculous many of you think that concept may be. Get the laws changed if you can.

Why do you think Auto Imagery watermarked the photo in the first place?

I know Dave Kommel and Richard Shute pretty well, and I know their policy. You'd be surprised how generous they are in most situations, but might be surprised at how serious they are when people don't ask first and just take.

A lot of the people here remind me of the fan who decided WJ's door would make a good souvenir.

Edit: Kommel just answered, and apparently he's in a lot better mood than I am. The Dodgers must not have played the Cardinals lately, and whatever you do, don't mention the Rams.

Regardless, my previous comments still stand.

Last edited:
Thread hijack here......

Dan & Dave... Randy you too.... You guys want some Prime Rib, give me a call next time you're in Kansas City for a race in Topeka and we'll go have some REAL prime Rib.......
No offense Dave, but the Prime I've had in CA can't hold a candle....
Besides, it would be a hell of a dinner.....

L8R

Unk

Ok, you may now return to your regularly scheduled program....

Unk,

No disrespect intended, but until you've had prime rib at Lawry's in Beverly Hills, you haven't had prime rib. They have been in business for over 70 years selling nothing but prime rib.

Several issues at play here....

First of all, I am not a Red Sox fan, although I may root for them when they play the Yankees. I have been a Dodger fan since the team moved from Brooklyn in 1958 and I was a season ticket holder for almost 20 years. I have become a Manny Ramirez fan lately....:D Richard Shute grew up in New England, but he is not much of a baseball fan. I have family in Massachusetts and Maine who are Red Sox fans, however misguided they may be.:)

Secondly, we recognize that there is no way to completely protect images. On a regular basis, we go after people that use our images without our permission on a commercial web sites and we are constantly shutting down eBay auctions for prints of our images pirated from various sites. I don't have a problem with someone using one or two of our images on a personal page, such as the myspace.com page referenced earlier in this thread, but we do ask that the images be accompanied by a photo credit/copyright notice and a link to our site.

We (Richard Shute, Bob Hesser and myself) make our living selling the use of our images, so hopefully everyone understands why we go to the lengths that we do to protect our images.

Dave,

Thanks for your post.

AutoImagery does some great work and I a few months ago inquired about getting a poster size print of the Snake v Hough phot from OCIR. I never got a final price, but would still love to get that shot to frame and put up on the wall.

Please know that I don't condone theft of any sort, hence my son getting pi$$ed at me for not letting him install music sharing software on our family PC.

Many a time I have grabbed shots here and there from different sites and used them for wallpaper and nothing more. Some people don't have all of the computer knowledge to get some stuff for these innocent purposes, so I provided some advice.

If you feel this out of line I apologize and will remove my post at your request.

Cheers,

Paul Rogers Jr

Finding a way to save pics of my favorite drivers and sport is stealing? Yikes! I must be punished.....I have tons on my computer! Um, I've never posted, linked or shared anything on the internet without permission. OK, once or twice....but my hand got slapped and I learned my lesson. My nose is now poignantly pointed in the corner. Bad Kelly! <where's the 'biting fingernails in fear' smilie when you need it? :D >

Dave, your response is curteous, dignant and professional.
Thank for that breath of fresh air.

WHOA NELLY!

For what it's worth, it is a low resolution image that isn't much good for anything apart from looking at on your PC. Any printed version would be pixelated and "blocky". It is a way cool image BTW.
Saving any photo on the web is as easy as hitting "PRINT SCREEN" button and pasting the screen shot into an image editing program.

What I posted is not top secret, inside info or anything that is "trick".

I think that anyone who would contemplate doing anything illegal with the images would already know how to do what I posted, and then some.

Nope, wrong again. I just used your method of saving the image, which I didn't know about until you posted it for all to read, and just printed a near perfect 8" x 10" of the K & C Pinto Funny Car. While it's suitable for framing and sale on ebay, instead I have just put it through the shredder under my desk.

Last edited:
Dave,

Lawrys on your end this fall, The Golden Ox (since 1949) next May on my end. Be great to compare notes when we're done.
Bennett can cast the deciding vote.

Unk

Unk,

Sounds good to me. You won't have to twist Goodwin's arm either. He and his lovely bride have become a regular part of our semi-annual (or more) treks to Lawry's.

WHOA NELLY!

For what it's worth, it is a low resolution image that isn't much good for anything apart from looking at on your PC. Any printed version would be pixelated and "blocky". It is a way cool image BTW.

Saving any photo on the web is as easy as hitting "PRINT SCREEN" button and pasting the screen shot into an image editing program.

What I posted is not top secret, inside info or anything that is "trick".

I think that anyone who would contemplate doing anything illegal with the images would already know how to do what I posted, and then some.

Absolutely right Paul. Couldn't have it on full screen,it was absolutely awful,had to go with it centered,I'd say about the equivalent of a 5x7. Hope I didn't start a $hit storm with this,some of my best memories of reading hot rod books as a kid were pictures from OCIR. thanks for your help

First of all, I am not a Red Sox fan, although I may root for them when they play the Yankees. I have been a Dodger fan since the team moved from Brooklyn in 1958 and I was a season ticket holder for almost 20 years. I have become a Manny Ramirez fan lately....:D Richard Shute grew up in New England, but he is not much of a baseball fan. I have family in Massachusetts and Maine who are Red Sox fans, however misguided they may be.:)

Secondly, we recognize that there is no way to completely protect images. On a regular basis, we go after people that use our images without our permission on a commercial web sites and we are constantly shutting down eBay auctions for prints of our images pirated from various sites. I don't have a problem with someone using one or two of our images on a personal page, such as the myspace.com page referenced earlier in this thread, but we do ask that the images be accompanied by a photo credit/copyright notice and a link to our site.

We (Richard Shute, Bob Hesser and myself) make our living selling the use of our images, so hopefully everyone understands why we go to the lengths that we do to protect our images.

Hey Dave,since I'm the guy who started this whole mess let me assure you it was never intended to be shown anywhere but on the desktop of my home computer which I am the sole user of. If it makes you feel any better,I change my pictures frequently and it has already been removed. Jeff

Hey Dave,since I'm the guy who started this whole mess let me assure you it was never intended to be shown anywhere but on the desktop of my home computer which I am the sole user of. If it makes you feel any better,I change my pictures frequently and it has already been removed. Jeff

Jeff,

My Intention wasn't to criticize anyone who has taken part in this thread. I just wanted to clarify our position. If you want to use an image for your own wallpaper, that's fine with us.

Nope, wrong again. I just used your method of saving the image, which I didn't know about until you posted it for all to read, and just printed a near perfect 8" x 10" of the K & C Pinto Funny Car. While it's suitable for framing and sale on ebay, instead I have just put it through the sheader under my desk.

Bill, with all due respect, you are wrong.

An 800 pixel x 533 pixel photo like the one in question, is only good for a 4" x 3" photo quality print. You could not make an 8 x 10 of it and pass it off as an original photo, period.

What you printed in your home office IS NOT photo quality like you would get from a lab.

As a point of reference, here is a link to a photo website that tells you the minimum resolution for a photo quality print.

Printing images - what file size do you need? Resolution, pixel sizes and file sizes compared for print

Unk,

Sounds good to me. You won't have to twist Goodwin's arm either. He and his lovely bride have become a regular part of our semi-annual (or more) treks to Lawry's.

Oooch----Oouch! I give.

My sister in Law lives in Kansas City, Mo. Maybe it's time for a visit. We'll just rent a room from Unk and he can buy us dinner, too.:D

RG

I guess when we talked in Denver in the "MEDIA ROOM UNDER THE TOWER" I got confused when you said you'd been to Fenway, and I took you as a fan of the Red Sox. You did Mention you love for the Dodgers, but I was hoping it was the "RARE AIR" that got you confused for a second! :D But, your right, Your very generous with your photos and have always been... And you cheer against the Yankee's which is OK IN MY BOOK!

Thanks for your response Dave... I knew you'd be ok with this... Sorry about labeling you a Sox fan... There are worse things.. You know, like being a Yankees fan like BURK!:eek:

See ya in Charlotte!

Timmah!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back