NHRA.com Photo of the Week (1 Viewer)

Re: NHRA.com Phot of the Week

is it me, or have they cut back on the number of photos they post. seems like it is photo of the 'every other' week

There was an interview with Ace somewhere not too long ago and he mentioned the contest. I can't recall what the outcome was. I remember entering umpteen times as an 8 year old!

Notice the large (for the day) spoiler on the car, too. The body also has rather low side skirts and a front air dam as well. Someone was thinking outside the box.

There is a cool shot of Dave Hough in the Super Shops Arrow on NHRA.com this week.

One thing I noted was the front wheel arch covered with a clear perspex "spat".

Back in the days where trying virtually anything was acceptable!

NHRA.com Photo of the Week presented by Auto Imagery

I actually worked for San Diego Racing Equipment/Super Shops when they gave that car away. If I remember right, there were boxes in the different stores where people could fill out an entry form (waaaaay before computers were popular). I think that they also gave away one of Dave Hough's Super Nanook Fuel Altereds!

Hey Charles, I heard some guy bought the name Super Shops and is bringing them back. Heard the 1st one will be in San Diego.

Hey Charles, I heard some guy bought the name Super Shops and is bringing them back. Heard the 1st one will be in San Diego.

Wow! When I worked there it was owned by Harry Eberlin. I'm not sure what even happened to the old Super Shops. He started out in the San Bernardino area and also had shops in LA. He was into exotic cars. He had Ferraris and a couple of Carreras. He was quite a character. I bet that the new Super Shops won't be where the original one was at 4550 University. It was a ROUGH neighborhood back in the 70s.

Mike; I've not been in there, but there is indeed a Super Shops store a few minutes from me, and has been for over a year. The story I heard was the guy researched the name to find it was no longer registered at all. Apparently due to dead time, he could reregister it for a very small fee.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the info. I dont think Harry even cares about the name anymore, like he needs the money.:D ;) :)

Growing up in Long Beach, I remember very well the number of entries I filled out for the fuel altered,,, hey, a kid could dream. And seeing the car run back then was awesome. Once Ed Pink got involved with that deal, it was one fuel altered that stole the show from the funny cars.

After giving away the altered, they went funny car racing, and that giveaway deal lasted 2 years from what I remember.

I bet that the new Super Shops won't be where the original one was at 4550 University. It was a ROUGH neighborhood back in the 70s.

I google earthed the address, and the neighborhood looks like it's been rebuilt with a bunch of condos and a big box shopping mall at that address.

Supershops.jpg

Remember that photo of Hough in the Super Shops AA/FA staged against Snake's FC? If that is available as a poster I would love to find it. It was a night shot at one of the west coast tracks, maybe OCIR. It will give ya' goose bumps.

Remember that photo of Hough in the Super Shops AA/FA staged against Snake's FC? If that is available as a poster I would love to find it. It was a night shot at one of the west coast tracks, maybe OCIR. It will give ya' goose bumps.

You can buy that as an 8x10 from Autoimagery.

That was taken at one of the big funny car shows at OCIR. Doner gave in to the fuel altered racers and let them come in and run with the funny cars, as they were trying to get their own bookings and shows. The local funny car racers were just a tad upset thinking that a few of these altereds were coming in and taking food off the table. Well, it was at this event that Hough showed them all how fast an altered could run,, when he ripped a 6.18. Bear in mind, this is back in 77, running teens and oh's is what you needed to run with Beadle, Prudhome, Bonnin, etc. Coming from this altered, it truely stole the show. Needless to say, the last round of the night, Hough and Snake,, Hough was even out on Snake till the Nanook finally showed that it was an alterered,,, got out of shape, let the Snake go by for the win.

Just think, imagine if Hough beat Snake back then? I could promise that it would be something that He'd not want to discuss,,, hell, I know he really doesn't like to sign that photo either. (ha ha)

The Nanook vs Snake photo at OCIR is featured in the new Lou Hart book, "Drag Racing Fuel Altereds", a photo archive.
FYI, the Super Nanook, given away at the Ontario World Finals, was turned in to a bracket racer and today is sitting in Monrovia, CA. RE: the Funny Car, the winner took cash instead and the cars (2) were sold.
Dave Hough

You can buy that as an 8x10 from Autoimagery.

That was taken at one of the big funny car shows at OCIR. Doner gave in to the fuel altered racers and let them come in and run with the funny cars, as they were trying to get their own bookings and shows. The local funny car racers were just a tad upset thinking that a few of these altereds were coming in and taking food off the table. Well, it was at this event that Hough showed them all how fast an altered could run,, when he ripped a 6.18. Bear in mind, this is back in 77, running teens and oh's is what you needed to run with Beadle, Prudhome, Bonnin, etc. Coming from this altered, it truely stole the show. Needless to say, the last round of the night, Hough and Snake,, Hough was even out on Snake till the Nanook finally showed that it was an alterered,,, got out of shape, let the Snake go by for the win.

Just think, imagine if Hough beat Snake back then? I could promise that it would be something that He'd not want to discuss,,, hell, I know he really doesn't like to sign that photo either. (ha ha)

I have said it once, and I will say it again... man I would have loved to have been in SoCal in the 70's. The racing scene then was awesome.

Here is a link for those looking on AutoImagery for the shot... I just got off the phone from Auto Imagery..... Dave Hough vs. Don Prudhomme

Dave, good to have you on the Mater!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back