NHRA Photo of the Week (1 Viewer)

I was looking at the photo this morning, thinking I had seen it before.

Turns out it was Photo of the Week last year too.

Yup.. If I rermember correctly, he only ran the enclosed front end for one race, which was the final race the car was run. Other then that it had the traditional front end on it.(Atlanta 87?)

That shot with Big in the backround was also one of the last races for Swamp Rat XXX. He parked it after a DNQ in E-Town that year.

Last edited:
the 2nd half of 80's really brought a lot of innovation not only to cars,
but even the transporters.
a great era in nhra winston drag racing.
somebody's got a 5 part series on youtube from the '88 summernats. in NJ.
great watching and listening.

just too heavy... cars did run great when put back in service with a standard body, was quicker and faster too.:eek:

d'kid

Yeah, Karl, but was that car carbon fiber? I honestly don't remember.

I would think by now there are materials out there that could make an approach similar to this feasible again.

Damn, I loved that car............

Sean D

I would think by now there are materials out there that could make an approach similar to this feasible again.

Sean D

Yes it was. First pass the carbon cowling around the mags shorted the ignition and launched the blower along with some carbon fiber.

Sean D

It was carbon fiber. When Ormsby debued the car at The Winters, he kept blowing the blower because the body was shorting out the mags. When they figured out what was going on, they made a little bubble over the mags.

Thanks, Al and David. I couldn't remember for sure.

I do, however, remember some issues with the blower coming off the car. I guess I never knew what the cause was.

Thanks!

Sean D

It was carbon fiber. When Ormsby debued the car at The Winters, he kept blowing the blower because the body was shorting out the mags. When they figured out what was going on, they made a little bubble over the mags.

SAW only one pop at the fairplex. ...It wowed (dented) the top beam of the chicken fence...KEEPING the fans safe!!!!!!!!!!!
Scarey I tell Ya!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back