BME Dragster Not Allowed to Test (2 Viewers)

So let me get this straight . . .
The new spec is not in force until ATLANTA, but Bill Miller cannot run TODAY.
It would seem that his car would definitely cert to the old spec, and would be considered "meet or exceed" as spoken of above, and thus could run without any issue. Then have the invitation to get it approved, appealed, whatever before Atlanta.
I am going out on a limb here, but I doubt Arley Langlow and Gene Davis had cars to the new spec.

And as a side note. not sure about all of the items in question with Bobby, but myself and Paul took pictures of a dozen funny car steering sections. Five were drastically different. And four looked absolutely nothing like the download from SFI's website, but all were allowed to run. A few others were variations of the same. But no problems there. And that is in the drivers compartment.
Just smells a little funny.

Buzz,

As I understand the situation re the F/C steering mounts the double K brace from last year will be legal until the new spec comes into force. That would mean that you can run the original welded in c/member with the K bracing or the new 4 point mount as spelled out on the SFI site on an old spec chassis. Any 1.5" rail cars would have to have the new four point deal.
I know that Tony Pedregon is running his old spec cars as they were modified before Richmond and he does not have any new frames yet while the Ashley team have a mixture of old and 1.5" rail cars at the moment. Don't quote me but I think that Mel is in one of last year's cars as I bent some oil lines on Friday for the 1.5" car that they were still putting together last week.
On the subject of Bill Miller's car I have not seen it but reading between the lines it appears that it does not look like the old T/F spec re the back of the cockpit so it would not pass no matter what diameter and wall thickness the frame rails are made out of. The rest of the T/F cars there could be built to either the old spec or the new one and still be legal to run until Atlanta. Remember that 2.3M is the only dragster spec that actually spells out how the engine bay rails attach to the rest of the car. (2.1 may do the same but I have not seen it)

Roo

Let's be real here for a second...there really is no competition over there.

8 car fields almost no TV what's the point? If the grass was truly greener more would be over there.

Not taking anything away from the Miller gang as they do have skills!

Sad thing is we all have to drink the motherships kool-aid or die of thirst.

Apparently, Mr. Miller built a new car "in House" under the guidence of Don Long, and made some improvements to make the car safer. This did not fit the "SFI" Spec, and that's why the car was not permitted to run. Why I understand the need to keep things within "SPEC'S", I can't understand why when somebody improves a design, the NHRA Brass does not accept it. What about when Force added support frame rails to Robert and Ashley's cars after his accident??? Was that within specs???:confused:

I spoke to two BME crewmembers at the line today. I was told they are taking the car back to the shop to "fix" it and then heading for Pomona. Also told that since the car had a new backhalf, it needed a new chassis tag, which NHRA would not issue. This is not a statement from BME - just some info from people close to the situation
I have issues (along with many others) that the car was denied certification under rules that do not take effect until Atlanta.

Unfortunately, as Jerrod so aptly said - There is nowhere else to go!

Let's be real here for a second...there really is no competition over there.

8 car fields almost no TV what's the point? If the grass was truly greener more would be over there.

Not taking anything away from the Miller gang as they do have skills!

Sad thing is we all have to drink the motherships kool-aid or die of thirst.

So when are you bringing your car over and show us how to compete?? That's a low blow to the guys that do race on the "other side"

Who said the grass was greener? It was merely a suggestion of another place to race. Every team must make choices based on their particular circumstance.

Does Bill Miller really need TV exposure to sell his rods etc? He sells them to they guys he races against. I'll bet he probably races more for the challange of it and testing of his own stuff.

And NO we don't have to drink the kool-aid. If we did, we might all be figuratively "dead". Maybe Bill didn't win this battle, but at least he's thinking and not standing in line to fill up his cup again. Where would we be if no one ever challanged anything?

Bill's bread & butter is not who he races against. It's all of the roundy rounders.
NHRA just needed a whippin' boy. They found the most outspoken person in the pits in regards to the JFR calamity and will punish him accordingly. Mr Olsen, THE WORLD IS ROUND, and don't forget it.

how do the other T/F drivers feels about the "special" treatment Miller & co. are recieving? Perhaps they should collectively get together and aproach
the so called "tech dept" wouldnt be much of a show with out T/F...
or is everybody in it for themselves ?
just my 2 cents....

Rich, If you ever want to see an anger mob of drag racers turn tail and run, just bring by an offical. There hasn't been any glue that would hold them together for decades. Bill is stickin' out like a sore thumb right now and they will take full advantage of him. How come they turned a blind eye to JFR chassis' until John's accident? Can you spell money.

Looks pretty simple to me, Miller's car didn't meet the spec:

It didn’t meet the S.F.I. spec,” Olson said in a telephone interview Friday evening.
Olson said Miller was given the copy of the spec.
“He already had the paper but for whatever reason, which is beyond me, he did it,” Olson said. “I have no idea why he did it that way. The spec is the spec and it is black and white. It’s easy to understand. The drawing shows exactly the way it should be done.
“All the other cars have it, the Hadman, McKinney and others are built to that spec.”
Olson has an opposing view regarding Miller’s claims the chassis is safer.
“It’s not even close to the spec,” Olson said.

He should be happy he found out now, instead of in the tech line at Pomona.

where is all the one big family now, it's the big 3's playground and the suits
sure ain't about no democracy:eek:

ain't this some $%&*
Homey don't play that:D

He voiced his opinion (which is fact in the real world) against those of the powers-that-be and they have chosen to make an example out of one of the really good people with talent, expertise, ingenuity and experience beyond that of the powers themselves.
[COLOR]

Good point Bobby. If you guys remember when the whole "heat treated tubing" issue went down, there was a petition from all the chassis builders. This petition had the BME letterhead at the top. Mr. Miller had/has done a lot of independent research on his own dime and was offering his findings to the contrary of what NHRA was mandating.

As others have stated, it seems Bill Miller and Don Long have come up with a chassis design that is different than both the old SFI, and the new one. This is Mr. Miller again offering 'his' solution to the problem using all the expertise he has at his disposal, including independent FEA and the opinions of Mr. Long. Apparently, Mr. Olsen doesn't like it (or is not allowed to like it) and I can't imagine why. I'd trust the mechanical (and structural) engineers including Don Long's extensive experience just as soon as I'd trust the others. Also, does NHRA really think Mr. Miller WANTS to race an unsafe chassis? Maybe if the NHRA accepts the chassis it could leave them open to liability issues? Something to the effect of allowing a chassis that didn't fit within the guidelines (SFI) that they were requiring thereby showing negligence?

The way this chassis deal has been handled from start to this point..reminds me of an elementary school playground.

I wish they would all just work together...pfft..yea.

BME is not the only supplier of those parts and even if he closed shop the show would go on as others would step up..

Millers situation is like building codes...I have seen inspectors turn down permits due to someone not following certain City building codes even though they constructed something better...The NHRA was not looking for something better they were making sure it passed their requirements..very simple..

So now you can't try something new, better or different? Everything must fit in the only box that Glendora has. Sound like the C.O.T. NHRA style! Maybe Dan should see if that ego of his fits first.

Drag racing used to be about innovation. We used to take what was available and modify it to work better and more effeciently. Now NHRA has taken away all the reasons we raced. With the standard block, heads, rear end ratios, blower overdrive, percentages..everything, its no longer about who builds a better mousetrap.

In today's environment we wouldn't have the RED because they would have never let BIG run it. Funny Cars..well they wouldn't exist because they wouldn't fit the mold.

If I was Bill Miller I would submit the necessary drawings, studies and information for an exception approval and dare NHRA to deny using it. If they denied I would sue their dirty butts until I got their attention. In the mean time I'd hire a PR firm to tell my story about the little guy who wanted a safer car but they wouldn't let me build one. The news media would love that story.

All the things that made drag racing enjoyable are gone. I for one am about done. Much as I hate toilet bowlers I think I'll start giving them my money and attention.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back