best crew chiefs... (1 Viewer)

1. Austin Coil
2. Alan Johnson
The best of the rest in no particular order, but Jimmy Prock will one day be in the same league as the top two.
* Dick Lahaie
* Tim Richards
* Jimmy Prock
* Rahn Tobler
* Federly
* Medlen
* Beard
* Neff
* Ace

Oh yeah, Warren Johnson is the man!!! Especially when he has Kurt's tune-up.:D

How about some respect for Richard Hogan... Though that is AJ power, he is still leading Melanie to the points leader.

My personal favorites are Terry Manzer (of course), Paul Smith, John Stewart and Larry Meyer. All of them are able to get good consistent performance without hurting a lot of parts.

Ken

1) Coil (you can't ingnore his record)
2) Alan Johnson
3) Medlen/ Federly
4) Tim Richards
5) Mike Neff/ Jimmy Prock
6) Lee Beard/ Wes Cerny
7) Ed "Ace" M.

Were there are two names I consider them equally talented.

I must be blessed!!!

After reading all of your favorites, I am feeling quite blessed to have a direct connection to Rahn Tobler and an indirect connection to Austin and Richard Hogan through Dave Settles (he should be on the list as well). I have learned so much from these guys my head hurts. Give me and our guys a little more time and look out!!!!

Dang... I forgot Mr. Hogan
And Yeah, I cheer for Everyone that lives in the Madison Vally (Ennis)
Guess you can say that's were my family's roots are.

My personal favorites are Terry Manzer (of course), Paul Smith, John Stewart and Larry Meyer. All of them are able to get good consistent performance without hurting a lot of parts.

Ken

I have to disagree, John Stewart has been blowing up S**t like crazy this year.

Unless I missed it, and I don't think I did, nobody mentioned Big. Maybe he doesn't fall directly under the "Crew Chief" title, but he isn't ranked #1 on the NHRA list for nothing. He's the reason we have rear-engine dragsters, he is (was) arguably the greatest innovator the sport ever knew, and he designed and built most, if not all of his own chassis... Granted, he had help, but for the most part the ideas were his. He was The Man, no doubt about it.

I'm not taking anything away from any of the people mentioned thus far - Austin Coil & Alan Johnson are absolutely brilliant, and Mike Neff, Jimmy Prock, Ace, Dick Lahaie, Dickie Venables, etc. are all awesome too - I just think a little love needs to be thrown Big's way... no?

Mike Green is very under-rated. The Skoal Blue Chevy was the only single car team in the top 10 last year. They're also the only single car team there now. Kudos to Mike!

Right now,and not just because they are No.1, but my vote is for "ACE". Seems like he has had a handle on most tracks so far this year. But it ain't over yet, so I'd definatlly be looking real hard over my shoulder at Coil and his brain trust.:D :cool:

(active)
coil for sure hands down
then
alan johnson
then
conrad and gang
then
lee beard
then
there is a bunch coming up the ladder:D

It seems to me that Coil (and the rest of the Force brain trust) along with Alan Johnson deserve "Hall of Fame" status. They have proven to be heads and shoulders above the rest over a long period of time. No one is close when you look 10 years back to now. I do think that there are a couple of "new" guys that will take their place in history. Jimmy Prock and Zippy seem to me to be the next generation of tuning stars. 10 years from now, my bet is that they will be the ones in the top slots (assuming Austin and Alan) have retired to Tahiti and Fiji respectively.

Jim

Hogan is doing very well this year but until he does it year after year I left him out.;)
I didn't put Dick Lahaie on the list cause he is retired and I didn't include Connie cause he doesn't tune right now but he definitely knows how to. I think he took over tuning for his son Scott's F/C.
There are some young talented guy's right now that will be around for years to come as Jim pointed out but I think Prock and Neff are already there.

Most Underrated Crew Chief

Mike Green is very under-rated. The Skoal Blue Chevy was the only single car team in the top 10 last year. They're also the only single car team there now. Kudos to Mike!

Charles, I agree... I was thinking about starting a thread on the most underrated crew chief, and with that I would put Mike Green and Richard Hogan at the top... Who else?

As far as Richard goes, in addition to his work with Mel, he had a new team with Hot Rod running nicely last year!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back