Debate: Do Crew Chiefs Race The Track Or Other Crew Chiefs? (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I was listening to Guido's interview with Rieff and I can't agree with what Dean said. I understand and agree with how crew chief's race the track, but I can't agree with him on how he does not look at it as a race against another crew chief.

How can that be said when I believe that of course crew cheifs tune based on the track, but facing a certain tuner HAS TO INFLUENCE how they tune. If i'm not right, then how can the thousands of crew chiefs that overpowered the track against Austin Coil or Alan Johnson be explained? I fully believe some guys step it up and do things they normally wouldn't when there about to face a really hard to beat team.

i never answered my own question, so please re-read the point. There has to be tuners out there who step up or step down based on what the other team has and has done and not what the track shows.

There has to be tuners out there who step up or step down based on what the other team has and has done and not what the track shows.

There are. They generally lose to the tuners who race the track, the same as all those who overpowered the track against Coil and Johnson.

If your smart, you tune baed on racetrack conditions at the time, and hope you made the right call, and let the better car at the time win

IMO Jimmy Prock has always stood out as a tuner that consistently races the track

If your smart, you tune baed on racetrack conditions at the time, and hope you made the right call, and let the better car at the time win

Absolutely. Hook up the most useable power to your lane and hope your driver's on time... Drag racing fate will handle the rest

I remember a quote from Whit Bazemore from must have been 2000 or 2001, crew chief was Lee Beard. After beating Hofmann (running for Jim Dunn), he said something along the lines of '...We didn't think our competitor could step up and beat us'.

As a Hofmann fan, I was annoyed that he said that... but of course he was right as Al smoked the tires. Smart of Beard, why press the limit when you don't have too. So at least one time in the history of drag racing it has happened.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back