Bamboozled? (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Where's the media attention that was supposed to be generated with this whole Countdown thing??

Network news? Regular newspaper coverage? How about just being regularly on ESPN and Fox??

What a load of hooey....:mad: Somebody has been lied to, and some people are losing money for every pass they have made since Indy- how can 9 and 10 just be S.O.L.??

ssssshhhhhhhh the countdown lovers don't like it when you point these things out, apparently its not factual enough:p

Where's the media attention that was supposed to be generated with this whole Countdown thing??

Network news? Regular newspaper coverage? How about just being regularly on ESPN and Fox??

What a load of hooey....:mad: Somebody has been lied to, and some people are losing money for every pass they have made since Indy- how can 9 and 10 just be S.O.L.??

I think Bubba the Love Sponge has the rights to the word bamboozled:D.To the media coverage, the world was not created in one day. I think there was a media conference call earlier this week. I will wait and see how this pans out before I throw the NHRA under the bus.

I think Bubba the Love Sponge has the rights to the word bamboozled:D.To the media coverage, the world was not created in one day. I think there was a media conference call earlier this week. I will wait and see how this pans out before I throw the NHRA under the bus.

Now Now Paul..........on the 'mater you are SUPPOSED to pre judge and in addition throw matters and people you do not care for under the bus BEFORE the bus has even been delivered from the manufacturer to the busline:rolleyes:

REX

The "excitement" and hype for the countdown is in the air ,cant you feel it???
Lots of drag racing newbies are all abuzz with countdown fever!!!.How many new fans has this possibly attracted?

Wait and see how it pans out?I'll throw NHRA under the bus right now.Martin is correct there is no media attention.NHRA should have been shoving this down peoples throats making sure it got attention along time ago.

I will admit I didn't like it from the beginning, however in light of all the new fans and additional media sources all of which are talking about DRAG RACING now,,,,,It appears that the Welfare Points system is a bad as I imagined it to be! :D:rolleyes: :D

It is nice when, once in a while hindsight agrees with me. :p

Rapid

They shove it down everyone's throat who watches ESPN's shows, which all of us are already fans so whats the point. The point of this countdown crap was to attract new fans, which means you have to do it other than the broadcast for the race, meaning USA Today and all major papers, getting ESPN to acknowledge NHRA exists, etc. So far, other than drag racing sites and watching a NHRA show nothing.

I am all for NHRA trying new things to grow the sport, but putting a fake championship system in place is not the answer, especially if they arent going to promote it anyways.

I am all for NHRA trying new things to grow the sport, but putting a fake championship system in place is not the answer, especially if they arent going to promote it anyways.

The system looks real to me since this is the format the champs will be crowned this year. It is only fake because you do not like it, but in reality (not in your head) the system is as real as it gets.

All that you anti-countdown/fake champion people have to do is if and when you meet a 2008 Powerade Champ is call them........"Hi........Fake Champ".

I am sure that they and their teammates will appreciate it immensely.:)

(I.........dare ya':D)

REX

I don't think there is a Thing anybody or sponsor can do that will get Drag racing the Media exposure everyone expects! The Best way NHRA can promote itself is to advertize on NON-Drag racing events! And I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

You mean to tell me the season is not over.:eek:
It has been so long since there was a race, I forgot all about drag racing.

They shove it down everyone's throat who watches ESPN's shows, which all of us are already fans so whats the point. The point of this countdown crap was to attract new fans, which means you have to do it other than the broadcast for the race, meaning USA Today and all major papers, getting ESPN to acknowledge NHRA exists, etc. So far, other than drag racing sites and watching a NHRA show nothing.

Thats what I was trying to type it just got typed wrong!!!

I think Bubba the Love Sponge has the rights to the word bamboozled.To the media coverage, the world was not created in one day. I think there was a media conference call earlier this week. I will wait and see how this pans out before I throw the NHRA under the bus.

Awww, come on now, Paul..... just throw it under the bus, for crying out loud! :D:p:);)

I think Bubba the Love Sponge has the rights to the word bamboozled:D..

That should be fun to prove in court... I thought that one belonged to Bob Lani... :D

To the media coverage, the world was not created in one day. I think there was a media conference call earlier this week..

A media confrence called for this week?? :confused: Don't you think they should have been on the horse the SECOND that people's livelyhoods started getting affected by this thing (read: Melanie's feet being nailed to the NON-PAYOUT floor when she and others in her situation couldn't PROGRESS any further, no matter how well they did DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE RACING SEASON?? At that point, this whole thing should have been in high gear- they had 17 races to have their ducks in a row, just as the racers had the same 17 races to make it in or not...

I will wait and see how this pans out before I throw the NHRA under the bus.

I am over the fact that someone that may or may not deserve it will get the big check and the ring... like the pro-C/D folks are saying: Everyone out there knew what the deal was, and they had a choice.. Race here or race somewhere else, but don't whine about rules that were in place... My gripe is that this was "shoved down our throats", as it has so eloquently been described by so many, as opposed to it being force-fed to the masses that we, as the long time fans, had been told it would be by Glendora.

Preaching to the choir is always a useless act- if anything, the whole thing may just put some long term fans ON that bus to see-ya-latersville... The Countdown was supposed to bring new fans to the sport, but it seems the only reason "all the new fans and additional media sources all of which are talking about DRAG RACING now" may have anything to say about the sport is because of two tragic and one near-tragic accidents and the fact that Papa John happens to make good lookin kids...
I saw NO additional coverage of our sport this year- nothing out of the ordinary...I was at the WR Grace building in the late 70's when they had a fleet of pro teams parked in their plaza- this year's GMA with the girls before the "Summernationals" :D was only different because it was SHORTER in legnth and had TV cameras- something that any 14 year old with a camcorder and a membership to YouTube can do and get more viewers...

The C/D was put in place EXCLUSIVELY to generate more external coverage for the sport, and NHRA has had all year to do that, yet here we are at Vegas2 with the same amount of national coverage (none) and a bunch of people that all love the same thing bickering with each other here.. Not to mention that there will be some teams next year that will be running on LESS of someone elses moola because of all this- for everything from lack of "post-season" coverage (everything past Indy) causing sponsors to renegotiate their ROI deals based on TV coverage, to EIGHT teams that got nudged off of the season ending $$ teet because they don't pick up the Association's bonus check on the big stage, based on where they finished IN SEPTEMBER...

If it was all about the media (it had to have been- the racing seemed just fine before..), then someone has got a lot of explaining to do as to why they shouldn't be tossed under the bus

Last edited:
the best description i heard was at Dinner in Charlotte recently... they comapred the NHRA's Countdown to a bi-polar cry for help.....lol....

Billy

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back