Are the Nitro Ranks Getting Too Specialized? (1 Viewer)

I tend to think just as in the past, the current drivers will go on to be crew chiefs and owners. That's my hope, anyway. ;)

Alot of the current crew chiefs were around when the driver's didn't just drive they also worked on the car . Most drivers these days don't work on the cars because they either don't know how or they have to do interviews and stuff like that to please the sponsers.

I tend to think just as in the past, the current drivers will go on to be crew chiefs and owners. That's my hope, anyway. ;)

Kelly - a noble thought, but I doubt either of those things will ever happen. Driver's involvement between rounds varies from waiting to get in the car to warm it up to packing chutes and mixing fuel.
I have a huge amount of respect for the guys and gals who have the courage to drive these beasts, but I don't see anyone who could tune a car and/or manage or own a team. Conflicting opinions are welcome! - Jim

And if anyone has anything to say about what I just said id love to hear it and does anyone have any advice?

William, welcome to NitroMater and in regards to your dream, I'm just a fan so not gonna be able to help you out there, but if I were you, I would try and contact David Grubnic to get his point of view on what you are dreaming of doing. Since he essentially did that about 10-15 years ago, he could offer you some advice. You also might want to contact the Cowin Family in Australia since they were so involved in drag racing "Down Under" and even over here at times. Andrew Cowin is still trying to live that dream here in the states, but as I'm sure he can tell you, it ain't easy.

I would like to see the NHRA add nostalgia funny car and dragster to their
programs.
Maybe have 8 car fields for both.
I really would like to see a all nitro national event.
Let the big boys spend as much as they want, but let the low budget guys run in the nostalgia class.

Wait until after November, you may get your wish on a limited series supported by NHRA now that VRA is history. Come on Gibbs we need you back.;) ;)

William, welcome to NitroMater and in regards to your dream, I'm just a fan so not gonna be able to help you out there, but if I were you, I would try and contact David Grubnic to get his point of view on what you are dreaming of doing. Since he essentially did that about 10-15 years ago, he could offer you some advice. You also might want to contact the Cowin Family in Australia since they were so involved in drag racing "Down Under" and even over here at times. Andrew Cowin is still trying to live that dream here in the states, but as I'm sure he can tell you, it ain't easy.

Thanks for replying , feel free for others to state there oppinions

The interesting thing about this thread is that no one has realized that there is not a single 20, 30 or 40 something Head Crew Chief that is having any success!

Good point. Does anyone know the ages of the current nitro crew chiefs? I would think the Dupuys, Oberhofers(sp?), Brian Corradi, Donnie Bender and Todd Smith are in their 40's but I don't know that for sure. How about any others?

Mel, I didn't make that comment. Jim Young did, he was quoting my earlier post. But there is Jimmy Prock and Mike Kloeber, they are 40 somethings. Jimmy Walsh, Dickie Venables? Not sure how old they are, but they aren't that old.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back