Are the Nitro Ranks Getting Too Specialized? (1 Viewer)

Husky

Nitro Member
Having grown up in an Era where National Records were in the 8's, I find the specialization process that the sport has gone through quite amazing.

Today, there are so few competitive "Teams" in the Nitro classes. If the Shoe, Force, Snake, Kalitta and Worsham teams skip an event, there won't be an event. Atleast not one with near a full field in either class.

As many of thoese teams are owned by old timers, I feel the sport can be in jeopardy, once these guys move on. JMHO

AHHH, the good old days, when a racer showed up with a station wagon or a dullie pulling the trailer, with a couple of free crew guys.:) Now each has to have 3 or 4 semi loads of stuff for each ride and at least 6-7 crew guys to handle the car.

yeah, and stock car racing was a couple of guys and a flat bed trailer, at best. and the drug store on the cornor was a mom n pop operation, there was no Wal-mart, and there was nothing but AM radio, and no Interstates...

your point?
There will Be someone to fill the gap, if and when

Mike,
All you have to do is take a stroll through the lowly sportsmen pits. You will find hundreds of high-profile rigs owned by very knowledgeable racers who could easily migrate up through the ranks. Oh, they're not driving station wagons pulling open trailers either.

yeah, and stock car racing was a couple of guys and a flat bed trailer, at best. and the drug store on the cornor was a mom n pop operation, there was no Wal-mart, and there was nothing but AM radio, and no Interstates...

your point?
There also were also 30 or 40 Cars there. The point is that it seems as though nearly all the eggs are in one proverbial basket.
As far as someone filling the gap, what are they waiting for, if they exist? I'm serious, about there being an uncomfortable truncation of competitors. As we speak many good drivers are parked due to lack of rides. JM$.02
BM, I can appreciate what you're saying, but the $'s to run Nitro competitively are much higher than Alky. Guys like Manzo would have moved up years ago if they desired.

Last edited:

your point?

If and when what?:confused:

The current state (multicar teams) of Nitro racing has priced most teams & sponsors out of the market. NHRA is a day late and dollar short on fixing the problem.

This is a business people and its not a good one to be in unless you have money to burn.

The current state (multicar teams) of Nitro racing has priced most teams & sponsors out of the market. NHRA is a day late and dollar short on fixing the problem.

This is a business people and its not a good one to be in unless you have money to burn.

Better not try Open-wheel (IRL) or Nascar if you think Drag racing's gotten to expensive!:eek:

Better not try Open-wheel (IRL) or Nascar if you think Drag racing's gotten to expensive!:eek:
Like Ferrari's 200+ Million Racing Budget?
I'm sure everyone here loves the Big Numbers and quick times the Nitro Cars are knocking down. But because of the excellence in performance, the cost has risen to the point where Nitro Classes are more like a "traveling show" as opposed to the competition class they were in the past. I'm just concerned that the return on investment will make the classes limited to a very few who have the $'s to run them, who also have the expertise to make them run well.
Are they making them so specialized that only a handful of Teams can field competitive machines, and what does that hold in store for the future of the sport?

Mike, if you yearn for the days of old you may as well follow Goodguys or some other Nostalgia circuit. Pro Drag racing won't ever go back to the 60's, as much as some here would love it to.

Mike, if you yearn for the days of old you may as well follow Goodguys or some other Nostalgia circuit. Pro Drag racing won't ever go back to the 60's, as much as some here would love it to.
JS, I'm looking to the future, not the past. I'm concerned about how this is going to play out, as DR doesn't make anywhere the money that these other motor sports do.

If and when what?:confused:

If and when Ashley, Robert and Eric decide to leave the family business, If and when the NHRA decides the Pro Show isn't bringing in the Gate they want. If and when, Evan decides to pull out of NHRA...

If and When, we decide the NHRA isn't the only game in town...

JS, I'm looking to the future, not the past. I'm concerned about how this is going to play out, as DR doesn't make anywhere the money that these other motor sports do.

I think you were right on as far as it being a traveling show as opposed to the competition it was in the past. However I think most motorsports are that way now. Sure there are competitors competing, however the actual "goal" is selling products for sponsors. I always remind myself that all radio and TV shows may STRIVE to be the best they can be, they really are simply vehicles for the ad salesmen to use.

I know what you are saying as far as the teams taking up so many of the spots. I think that is a REAL concern. If they have the big sponsors they make plenty of money. As they lose those it gets real tough to field a team (and not really worth it).

I think you were right on as far as it being a traveling show as opposed to the competition it was in the past. However I think most motorsports are that way now. Sure there are competitors competing, however the actual "goal" is selling products for sponsors. I always remind myself that all radio and TV shows may STRIVE to be the best they can be, they really are simply vehicles for the ad salesmen to use.

I know what you are saying as far as the teams taking up so many of the spots. I think that is a REAL concern. If they have the big sponsors they make plenty of money. As they lose those it gets real tough to field a team (and not really worth it).
Let me go on record as saying I started this thread to feel out the general opinions of us who love the sport. If the BIG money dries up, even if it is just for some of the teams, it could have serious effects on the Classes. JMO.
Teams like the Skuzas are sorely missed.

Here's my take.
This thread is an important one because we all recognize that there are problems in our sport notwithstanding the great strides it has made. It is also an important thread because we have people posting here whose ideas and acumen can be useful in finding solutions for some of those problems.
I think we could help maintain full fields in the PRO ranks and ensure an adequate supply of talented newcomers, in part, by supporting the Alcohol ranks better and by holding "alternative" race meetings. So, for example, the National event regulars are setting the world on fire on the East Coast on a hypothetical weekend. That same weekend, in the Pacific Northwest, a booked in 8 car Top Fuel show is supported by an NHRA sponsor. The cars competing in that latter event might not be "top rung," but the talent and attitude of the teams would be professional and they would have the chance to win against competitors with similar dollar limitations. Of course, some of these fellows would be first round ducks for a while. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Much the same could be accomplished by an accomodation between the NHRA and the "other outfit." You know the one, Dougzilla's "Hillbilly" group.
My favorite class is TAFC and I support CIFCA, in part, because it provides a market for former TAFC machinery (thus, cutting the cost of TAFC) and it provides a place for we humble weekend warriors to race Funny Cars. If you think I can afford to race to TAFC with guys like Manzo - think again! At this point, I'm entering the fourth year of my one year plan to race in CIFCA. I can dream, though, and if I ever won the lottery . . .
Cheers,
Ed
What are your suggestions. I am sure that, as usual, they'll be better than mine.

One thing I have noticed is how much criticism the newcomer's in the Fuel ranks get on this board and others. Whether they thought Brandon Bernstein and Eric Medlin got too much plug from NHRA a couple of years ago. Or whether Hillary Will belongs in a TF dragster, you name it. Anytime a New Fuel or Pro stock driver comes into the fold, unless they start winning rounds right away they get criticized pretty hard, Erica Enders anyone? I may be the only one who thinks this; but I think sponsors want to see more 22-35 year old drivers in these cars. It doesn't suprise me one bit when a 45-50 and older drivers can't find sponsorship. Very few sponsors are looking for 45-60 year old customers.

I would like to see the NHRA add nostalgia funny car and dragster to their
programs.
Maybe have 8 car fields for both.
I really would like to see a all nitro national event.
Let the big boys spend as much as they want, but let the low budget guys run in the nostalgia class.

Hello , hows things over there in america .Im 18 and live in New Zealand , my dream is to oneday own , tune , and drive a nitro funny car . I spend every bit of my spare time researching nitro funny cars . There are three things that worry me about completing my dream , 1 is my body size beecause im not a small person 2 is the fact that i have absolutely no money and 3 is the NHRA with all there stupid rule changes that just make it more and more expensive . I honestly don't think the NHRA knows whats best for the nitro classes and considering that they once had a nitro ban id be very suspicious of any changes they make to those classes. I got interested in drag racing by watching old main event video dvds that showed racing from the late 80's and early 90's . I hope to oneday complete my dream . Have a good day every body i just thought id add my 2 cents.

One thing I have noticed is how much criticism the newcomer's in the Fuel ranks get on this board and others. Whether they thought Brandon Bernstein and Eric Medlin got too much plug from NHRA a couple of years ago. Or whether Hillary Will belongs in a TF dragster, you name it.

Newcomers getting criticism? Guess you haven't been listening to audiocasts or watching ESPN! EVERYONE - Bob, Alan, Marty, Mike and Gary have had nothing but good things to say about JR, Jimmy and Dexter.

The interesting thing about this thread is that no one has realized that there is not a single 20, 30 or 40 something Head Crew Chief that is having any success! Let's take a look - TF . . . Kalitta with Rahn Tobler, Budwieser with Richards and Army with AJ (who might be 40 something). FC - Brut with Ace, Force with Coil and Robert with Prock (who also might be 40 something). Are you seeing a trend here? Fuel racing became very specialized a long time ago and all of these guys were in on the ground floor. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens if some of these guys retire (which may happen sooner than you think) without passing on their knowledge.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back