Driver/Owner nitro teams are amazing (1 Viewer)

What about Force He's an owner/driver,was a tuner before he hired Coil, and was a football QB in high school.

A more apt comparison is someone who runs a small company. Owns the company, does the books, drives the truck, serves the customers, answers the phone, cleans the restrooms, etc. There are lots of those in the world, and they are much on the same level as a driver/owner/tuner like Wilkerson. Yet they don't get people cheering them on and stopping them in a restaurant asking for their autograph. And they don't get to drive a 300mph funny car.

Chris, you're missing the point. The driver/owner has to do all the things you listed plus be able to compete at the highest level in the sport. The point is that there are very few individuals capable of doing that successfully.

Regarding the contrast with a QB, fellas, don't get too twisted up about it, I love a good football game as much as anybody else.

But as athletic and talented as NFL QB's are I still stand by my statement that the vast majority of them would fail if they had to in addition to perform their athletic tasks also had to take on the tasks a driver/owner performs. Again its the combination of exceptional competitive skills plus the ability to manage and run a complex operation that is rare.

When I was much younger I got to work out with and pal around a little with a couple of professional athletes. It was striking what a different world they existed in, having been pampered for so long had caused them on some levels to never really grow up and face or accept the limits and responsibilities that "real" people have to deal with every day.

You still see this in today's athletes. Even mature and highly successful and otherwise highly respected QB's do dumb things like texting their "junk" to a female team associate or forcing themselves on a younger woman at a club.

Chris, you're missing the point. The driver/owner has to do all the things you listed plus be able to compete at the highest level in the sport. The point is that there are very few individuals capable of doing that successfully.

Please walk into your nearest small business, your nearest tech startup for example, and tell them they can't or aren't competing at the highest level. :rolleyes:

Please walk into your nearest small business, your nearest tech startup for example, and tell them they can't or aren't competing at the highest level. :rolleyes:

Chris, I'm certainly not slamming any small business owner, I agree its not easy to have a successful business of any kind in today's business environment.

I am a small business owner and I'm working late tonight (when not dinking around on this forum) to try to make sure that we'll have enough dough coming in to both pay my employees and keep food in my kid's mouths and its not an easy thing to do.

But in addition to the skills needed to run a small business there is no way I have the talent to be successful either driving or tuning a Top fuel car that competes at the highest levels.

That's a very rare and unique combination of talents that even most QB's don't have and I'm surprised that you can't agree with that, but no harm, no foul.

Actually your mention of tech startups is an interesting analogy. Most tech startups were driven to success buy a single individual that was very strong in one particular area, ie technology, marketing, partnerships, etc.

But its rare that these individuals had broad skills across the board in all those areas, including one that required particularly unique competitive skills.

So bottom line, drag racing rules all, and nitro driver/owners are even above the Gates and Jobs of the world in my pecking order.

So bottom line, drag racing rules all, and nitro driver/owners are even above the Gates and Jobs of the world in my pecking order.

Wow.

I worked directly for Bill Gates, and know him well. His broad spectrum of skills and talent at the highest levels of competition on the planet dwarf the kinds of things you describe.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect Wilkerson and others, but to compare that to the people you mention is nearly as at least as silly as your original NFL comparison.

Shovel?

Geez fellas, can't you tell when someone is at least partially pulling on your leg, after all this is the silly season-

I still can't see Bill Gates driving or tuning a top fuel car though. Every time you tried to start it you would probably have to wait 5 minutes for it to complete an update.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back