Driving an IndyCar - amazing drivers! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
We got tours of the Rubicon/Lifelock and Himmelgarn IndyCar shops last weekend. Got a very close look at all of the stuff a driver has to deal with while driving 220 mph for 500 miles.
Steering wheel is amazingly complicated - lots of lights, paddle shifters and a display that has a lot of options. The very small weight jacker levers are to driver's left - I have no idea how the driver can feel what to do with gloves on.
Add to this looking at wind socks in turn four and at the starting line and racing within inches of disaster on every lap. I'm not taking anything away from our drag racing drivers, but to watch these guys and gals do this for hours is amazing. You might want to watch the Indy 500 next Sunday - I have a feeling that it is going to be very exciting.

growing up around drag racing from about age 11 til I moved to IL at 21, that is what I knew. I liked, respected the other sides to auto racing.
I saw a piece last weekend I think talking about the steering wheels. That was just insane. It looked like a Christmas tree with all the lights. I know I will be watching the 500. I will probably have to tape since I will be out with son.

We got tours of the Rubicon/Lifelock and Himmelgarn IndyCar shops last weekend. Got a very close look at all of the stuff a driver has to deal with while driving 220 mph for 500 miles.
Steering wheel is amazingly complicated - lots of lights, paddle shifters and a display that has a lot of options. The very small weight jacker levers are to driver's left - I have no idea how the driver can feel what to do with gloves on.
Add to this looking at wind socks in turn four and at the starting line and racing within inches of disaster on every lap. I'm not taking anything away from our drag racing drivers, but to watch these guys and gals do this for hours is amazing. You might want to watch the Indy 500 next Sunday - I have a feeling that it is going to be very exciting.

Anybody who doesn't have respect for these drivers should attend one the driving experiences. I did at Texas Motor Speedway a few years ago. I can guaranatee that you will walk away with much more respect for what they do. As far as I'm concerned, the 500 is exciting every year. I'll be attending my 16th this year.

I have respect for ALL drivers in all divisions. They are doing something that I would've loved to do but feel I'm past my prime ;)
I never miss Indy - be it on TV or the radio..I've always loved the spectacle of that race and although I have yet to get to the Indy 500, I did go to the Brickyard 400 and when driving into the facility and walking the grounds in the early morning...felt like I was walking on hallowed grounds.
This year's race will be interesting with all the rookies spread throughout the field. I just pray for a safe race!

p.s. AJ Foyt IV just had a nasty accident after qualifying for the race...darn!

It's Hemelgarn - and I 'm hoping Buddy Lazier makes the show today. I 've been a fan of the indy500 since I used to listen to it live on a transistor radio back in the late 60s / early 70s. It wasn't on live tv until the mid 80s.

It's Hemelgarn - and I 'm hoping Buddy Lazier makes the show today. I 've been a fan of the indy500 since I used to listen to it live on a transistor radio back in the late 60s / early 70s. It wasn't on live tv until the mid 80s.

Bob - You got your wish . . . what a gut check! This car was in pieces on the shop floor Monday afternoon - amazing!

Buddy Lazier made an amazing run for the little time he had in the car. Unfortunately, this is one of problems with open wheel racing right now. Talented, popular drivers without a full time ride. Sounds a lot like drag racing doesn't it? This will probably be his only race this season. I hope he does well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back