Anyone heard anything on Wayne....... (1 Viewer)

Hmm....speaking of Frankie :confused: In the last National Dragster Bill Blomgren has a bunch FC of stuff for sale... trailer, 2 chassis, 3 bodies, the works.

Keep guessing I don't think that this paticular sponsor has a ful deal with a funny car team. OOOHHH wait maybe with a former pro-mod stand out. ooops did I just give it away?;)

I thought Shine products came in a bottle, not can? Yep, that just threw me off the tracks........................but, I'll still place my bet that Lucus will be a big part of it.......................

NutZ used to post on the Mater from time to time, that is until it became so uncivilized, The Comp site is already heading in that direction.

If I remember correctly, I think he was posting on here right up until his accident happened. I could be wrong though.

After admitting that he let Amato win a race that cost Cory Mac the championship way back, I never thought much of DH. I still carry the grudge. IMHO, Cory Mac was still the champ that year. He came in second by less than 200 points. And Cory did'nt go to Sanair because he was running without sponsorship and could'nt afford it. Even with one less race than Amato, Cory Mac (and Jimmy Prock) still almost won it.

And I won't even mention the Dougzilla episode againt Clay Millican. I still think Peter Lehman would've kicked his.....

But all of this is just my HO.

From Ken - "After admitting that he let Amato win a race that cost Cory Mac the championship way back, I never thought much of DH. I still carry the grudge. IMHO, Cory Mac was still the champ that year. He came in second by less than 200 points. And Cory did'nt go to Sanair because he was running without sponsorship and could'nt afford it. Even with one less race than Amato, Cory Mac (and Jimmy Prock) still almost won it."
I guess I missed something - who is DH and where and when did he admit to throwing a race?
This was a long time ago - is it possible that Cory didn't realize that borrowing a few hundred bucks for gas and entry fee at Sanair would have wrapped up his championship? - Jim

From Ken - "After admitting that he let Amato win a race that cost Cory Mac the championship way back, I never thought much of DH. I still carry the grudge. IMHO, Cory Mac was still the champ that year. He came in second by less than 200 points. And Cory did'nt go to Sanair because he was running without sponsorship and could'nt afford it. Even with one less race than Amato, Cory Mac (and Jimmy Prock) still almost won it."
I guess I missed something - who is DH and where and when did he admit to throwing a race?
This was a long time ago - is it possible that Cory didn't realize that borrowing a few hundred bucks for gas and entry fee at Sanair would have wrapped up his championship? - Jim

Please use the "Quote" button, much easier to figure out what you're quoting and what you're actually typing yourself.

Jim Young - The year was 1992. The race in Sanair was on the schedule sometime around the middle of the year. Many racers would skip Sanair due to the cost and trouble of crossing the border. Cory Mac was having a good year, but at the time nobody (including Cory) was thinking that Cory would be in the title chase. He had a family run (and financed) team with very little in the way of sponsorship. And it was only his second season in top fuel.

Anyway, I believe that it was at Topeka that Doug Herbert was racing Amato. Herbert slowed halfway through the run allowing Amato to pass and win the round. In a TV interview after the run, Herbert basically said that since Amato had helped him out (parts?), he did'nt want to hurt the championship run of the guy that was helping him, so he let Amato win. This occurred towards the end of the season when Amato was battling Cory Mac for the points lead. Amato went on the beat Cory for the title by 92 points (less than 1 round), which using the current points system, would have amounted to less than 10 points!!

With hindsight being 20/20, many people including Cory himself, wish he would have gone to Sanair. But when you're running on your own nickel, you do what seems right at the time. Cory was just trying to keep the operation on the race track for as long as he could until sponsorship came his way.

So.....

In other words.

Due to a decision excerising his (Cory Mac's) own free will, Cory Mac lost the title.

Gotcha'

REX

i would still credit Herbert with an assist if those are indeed the facts....bottom line is though, Cory goes to Sanair, he wins the title.

Please use the "Quote" button, much easier to figure out what you're quoting and what you're actually typing yourself.

Brent,

Jim Young posts on the 'Mater alot, and I appreciate many of his insights and observations, but this little annoyance of his regarding NOT using the "Quote" button on the lower right corner of the thread he is responding to has been pointed out to him multiple times. I think Jim just wants to mess with us, but I don't see why? It is actually easier (and more coherent) for him (and us) if he would do that, as he currently is cutting and pasting and adding quotes around the previous text which doesn't always make it that easy for the next person (as you said) to figure out WHAT he is responding to.

Jim, can ya help us out here? It's really not that hard. :confused:

....and since we de-railed the thread for a minute there, I apologize.

As for Cory Mac skipping Sanair and therefore losing those points which eventually cost him the championship, I agree that was a bummer. Hindsight is always 20/20. Since Sanair was earlier in the year, does anyone remember what position he was in at the time he made that decision? I suspect he was not in #2 at that time. I was not aware of Doug Herbert's assist to Joe Amato during that season, but if that's the case, I wish that kind of stuff was not done. It hurts the fans and damages credibility. I'm sure stuff like this still goes on without most of us knowing it, but it sounds like Doug came right out said what he was doing back then. I was a fan of Cory's then and was really impressed by his under-funded team and Jimmy Prock got his nickname, Prock Rocket during that timeframe as I recall, since Cory was keeping right up with the well funded teams. What makes it even worse to know this happened, is then Joe Amato hired Prock away from Cory. Sounds almost like a soap opera now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back