Anyone heard anything on Wayne....... (2 Viewers)

What makes it even worse to know this happened, is then Joe Amato hired Prock away from Cory. Sounds almost like a soap opera now.

Man I hate when people post stuff and they know jack sh*t about what happened. Cory Mac got hired to drive the McDonalds car for Larry Minor in 1994, therefore, Corys team went away!!!!!! He parked it. Prock was up for grabs, and Amato got him, which was what he needed to do after a less then great 1993 season.

Now on to Herbert and Amato.... Herbert blew a tire at Baton Rouge if I remember correctly, and Amato loaned him a wing, and some other parts to keep him going. Well after Indy, Tim Richards and Amato parted ways, and he was in a battle with KB for the title. Well, Herbert had been running better then Joe at that point, and as payback for the help earlier in the season, Herbert offered Jim Brisette's tune up on the Amato car, and they basicly worked as a team untill the end of 92, helping Amato win the title.

Cory Mac was actually in 3rd place coming into the world finals, behind Amato and Bernstein. KB and Amato went out early. I think Cory actually won the race too, but just ran out of rounds.

Last edited:
Man I hate when people post stuff and they know jack sh*t about what happened. Cory Mac got hired to drive the McDonalds car for Larry Minor in 1994, therefore, Corys team went away!!!!!! He parked it. Prock was up for grabs, and Amato got him, which was what he needed to do after a less then great 1993 season.

Sheesh Paul, lighten up. Don't have to get all pissy. I did realize that Cory essentially folded his team and Prock was up for grabs, just didn't remember the details so well, as you so eloquently corrected me on. I mean it was only 13 friggin' years ago. I was following drag racing then but not as closely since the internet was still aways off, and I didn't have a ND subscription! Probably missed the TNN telecasts frequently too, as I now remember I moved into an apartment complex back then that did not have TNN on their cable so I was having to rely on friends to tape the telecasts for me, and that was hit or miss. See, I do remember things from back then!

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson about that years Top Fuel championship chase as I as well as others may not remember it all as well as you did. Sorry for the "soap opera" comment. Doug was just returning a favor and I can understand, but it still taints things in my book. Loaning parts to a competitor is one thing, but throwing a race is different in my book. Call me naive if you want. Hey, I'm a fan of Doug Herbert's too. Have visited his current shop in Lincolnton, NC and enjoyed going there and meeting with his employees and seeing his shop.

Paul, you are correct, Cory did win the `92 Finals after coming into the race third in points. It would have been nice for Larry Minor to have brought Prock into the fold the same time he hired Cory, because those two worked really well together, but I think Cory did alright with Beard and later on Mike Green as tuners.

But when you're running on your own nickel, you do what seems right at the time. Cory was just trying to keep the operation on the race track for as long as he could until sponsorship came his way.
Isn't that kinda what happened with TJjr. several years ago when he was running the dragster? They had a nasty blowup and didn't have the money to buy a new injector and related parts and because they couldn't attend the last race, he lost the IHRA championship that year.

Brent,

Jim Young posts on the 'Mater alot, and I appreciate many of his insights and observations, but this little annoyance of his regarding NOT using the "Quote" button on the lower right corner of the thread he is responding to has been pointed out to him multiple times. I think Jim just wants to mess with us, but I don't see why? It is actually easier (and more coherent) for him (and us) if he would do that, as he currently is cutting and pasting and adding quotes around the previous text which doesn't always make it that easy for the next person (as you said) to figure out WHAT he is responding to.

Jim, can ya help us out here? It's really not that hard. :confused:

Kurt - is this better? Now, about me messing with people . . . where would you get a ridiculous idea like that - ;)

Kurt - is this better? Now, about me messing with people . . . where would you get a ridiculous idea like that - ;)

Jim,

That's much better. Sorry to be harsh, but I had to agree with Brent. Anyway, keep up the good posts. I can't be too mad at anyone from my former home town. I lived in Tempe from 1964-1981, went to school at UofA in Tucson for 4 years, then came back to Phoenix and worked in Tempe from 1986-1988 before moving to Florida. You happen to know Jim Galatin? He was good friends and a partner for awhile with a friend of mine back in the mid-80's.

Later...

Kurt

Jim,

That's much better. Sorry to be harsh, but I had to agree with Brent. Anyway, keep up the good posts. I can't be too mad at anyone from my former home town. I lived in Tempe from 1964-1981, went to school at UofA in Tucson for 4 years, then came back to Phoenix and worked in Tempe from 1986-1988 before moving to Florida. You happen to know Jim Galatin? He was good friends and a partner for awhile with a friend of mine back in the mid-80's.

Later...

Kurt

I guess you finally forced the Old Dog to learn a New Trick - you guys were very courteous in "suggesting" that I figure out that button - :D
And yes, I do know Jim - watched him race that T Bird for many years!
Tomorrow should be very interesting - we should have a lot to talk about by the end of the day! FIRE "EM UP!

I guess it is now official. Crew chief for Frank Pedregon. Doh! I wish I could insert the link.

Actually was referring to NHRA.com notebook announcement:mad:
It has new associate sponsor info etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back