Air Planes (1 Viewer)

The Antonov AN-225 is larger than the AN-124,

Yep, and there is only one that is airworthy. At one point they started to build a second AN-225 but it has never been finished.

Photos: Antonov An-225 Mriya Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

1966903.jpg

I always thought the best job on the planet would be flying an owner or driver around. Timing is everything, and mine has been consistently off when it comes to aviation.

Speaking of big things in the air... check the Hindenburg-

hindenburg-747-profile-550x193.jpg

That's a 707. Wonder what that would have looked like in the sky..

getting back to airplanes & drag racing.
why is it tail sections have existed like this for decades but for some reason
the monotail design is still not allowed?

When I saw Garlits mono design at the US nats that one year I wondered how stable that design would be. I remembered shear diagrams and bending moment diagrams from my structures class and what goes on with simply supported structures.

With 8,000 lbs of down force across the top of the wing, the amount of shear and bending moment right above the monotail support would be extremely high, meaning the wing itself would be much more likely to fail as opposed to the traditional two support.

Also, if you get an uneven load or start that thing vibrating I would think it would also be more likely to fail (Ive seen the mono front wing get to vibrating on replays before)

I think Darrell Gwinn's dragster driven by Mike Dunn (La Victoria & Mopar) took the traditional support and widened it out. I don't know why that never caught on, but that design makes more sense to me then Garlits monotail.

IMG_0719.JPG

Dan, your time will come.

then there's maiden frontman and pilot bruce dickinson....what a great gig.

Dan, your time will come.

then there's maiden frontman and pilot bruce dickinson....what a great gig.

Nope. Already had my time. Flew for USAir Express for 4 years then on to Netjets where I got furloughed off the Citation X. Chased the career through the down economy til I got picked up doing quality management work in the defense industry. I've got a three year old at home and until he's a bit older I'm out of the game.

Bruce Dickinson cracks me up. Pretty cool seeing the Iron Maiden frontman driving around an A320 or 757. Dexter Holland from the Offspring is another one. He flies a CJ-1 with an anarchy symbol on the tail.

Cool; I didn't know that about Bruce. Never a dull moment in aviation, I can attest to that. I'm not even a pilot, and I've seen some crazy stuff. Funny story I heard about the Anatov... one was in Denver picking up rockets from Lockheed Martin several years ago. My buddy works for the FBO. The plane over-nighted, and in the morning they were waiting for the crew to arrive. The ramp guys were cracking jokes about them being Russian Komrades, hung over from drinking Vodka with names like Vladimyr, Nikolai, Pavel. So the crew gets there - and the Captain's name is Steve..... from Madison, Wisconsin! LOL

Cool; I didn't know that about Bruce. Never a dull moment in aviation, I can attest to that. I'm not even a pilot, and I've seen some crazy stuff. Funny story I heard about the Anatov... one was in Denver picking up rockets from Lockheed Martin several years ago. My buddy works for the FBO. The plane over-nighted, and in the morning they were waiting for the crew to arrive. The ramp guys were cracking jokes about them being Russian Komrades, hung over from drinking Vodka with names like Vladimyr, Nikolai, Pavel. So the crew gets there - and the Captain's name is Steve..... from Madison, Wisconsin! LOL

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Years ago I got a tour of a Cargolux 747-200 while it was in HSV. The F/O on it lived in Fayetteville, TN and was excited he was sleeping at home that night.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back