Air Planes (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Here's a easy, non-controversal question for the day.
Anyone know how many car owners/drivers, etc. have their own planes to get back and forth to the races. If you know also provide what type of plane they have: Lear, etc. and whether they actually pilot it or not. :)

Last edited:
a little off topic but as long we're talking business jets;
remember recent headlines regarding corporate taxes for business jets?

a community organizer in campaign mode
Photos: Boeing 757-28A Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

0239334.jpg

0123425.jpg

mccainplane.jpg

Yeah, what an extravagant luxury.

Doug Herbert used to, or still does have a Lear 36. Jim Head has / had a Cessna 441 and I think a Pitts S2 or 3 he flew aerobatics in.

I think Snake had a Lear 25, quite possibly the only bizjet louder than a TF car.

I flew a former P/S driver at Netjets, but can't say who.

Funny story (I think it is anyway...) I flew Grumpy Jenkins when I was with Piedmont into Tri Cities before the Bristol race a few years ago. He was last off the airplane, and when he was out of earshot the flight attendant tells me "that guy was sure grumpy!". I got a hell of a laugh out of that....

Later that weekend I had Bob Frey and Scott Kallitta in the airplane going back to CLT along with several other crewmembers I've forgotten. Shot the breeze with Scott for a little while when we got there.

I used to run into Mike Dunn regularly in the airports, and spoke with Cory Mac once for a little while. Never ran across anyone who wouldn't take a minute to shoot the breeze even when they were in a hurry.

727 shown in dole photo is becoming rare - great airliner.

Yes, they are rare. If I'm not mistaken, Champion Air (a former Minnesota airline) was the last commercial airline in the US to carry passengers (people) on a 727. In fact, the "Dole" 727 pictured above became one of the 727's in Champion Air's fleet. I flew on that airline just a few months before they closed their doors...... and it might have been on Dole's aircraft. :D

There are still a few 727's in the air hauling boxes but not many.

Yes, they are rare. If I'm not mistaken, Champion Air (a former Minnesota airline) was the last commercial airline in the US to carry passengers (people) on a 727......
wouldn't be surprised, they were charter of choice here in MN for a few years.

alan, i'll take the peanuts, and could you send the attractive brunette
next time.... please :D

Oh I like this topic! You don't have to own a plane to ride on one.....it's called charter.... just like Enterprise, "we pick you up"..... CALL ME! There are others, that have not been mentioned here, whom I've seen with my own 2 eyes at the airport I work at, or I've seen them scheduled via flightaware.
I will say, the actual names of many many private aircraft owners and those who use them are well protected and kept confidential, through chartering, aircraft management companies, putting them under LLC's, etc. What so many people fail to realize, and it is an ongoing battle with aviation advocates, is that these things - especially at this level are not luxury items like the media and the President like to make them out to be in order to call out large corporations for tax implications - they are nessecary tools of the trade.

I find it ironic, that Air Force One is never mentioned in those debates, and I also find it interesting that people will gripe because they find out a CEO and leadership team of a multi-million dollar company flys around on a private plane.... yet it's OK when an air ambulance has to transport you back home after you (God-forbid) get in a car accident while on vacation and your health insurance company will pay for it.

Terry Vance has a jet of some sort, and I believe he has a pilot. Byron Hines has a cessena of some sort that he and his wife both fly. Jerry Savoie has a cessena as well and flies it himself.

Alan just thought I'd let you know Kolhs is having a good sale on shirts...I just got 4 off the rack for 6.40 each. LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back