A DWI road block in front of my favorite Bar!!!! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Nothing like sitting around listening to a great band and enjoying your favorite adult beverages, only to find out the Cops set up a DWI road block right in front of the place!

Turns out some drunk had come into the place 2 nights earlier and was refused service, only to leave the Bar and get pulled over for DWI. I guess this is the way Cops get back at Bars for suspected over pouring.

Well like Most people I drank all the Water I could, bought an order of food since I was on an empty stomach. Still unsure of myself I just said F**k it and took a Cab home and just left my car there. I've NEVER gotten popped for a Diwi and I wasn't going to chance it then! The next morning catching a ride to fetch my car I noticed about 30 cars in the parking lot! Gee I wonder why????:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a bummer Joe, but I'm really glad they are doing more crackdowns on the DWI's. Since I go home usually about 10:30-11:00 pm most nights, I do a lot of late night driving around the University area, I've had a few scary moments including a drunk who stepped right out in front of my car whilst I was traveling down Central.

Had I wacked him, it would have really messed up my car which would have sucked for me, but the plus side for him is that it would have happened right in front of the hospital.

Joe, would that be over pouring or over drinking? Sorry but if you drink and drive I hope they hang your ass. Work as a fireman for a while and then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

lol....good question. Actually, we all know that you can have a few drinks and not be legally drunk. At or over the legal limit would be a DWI. Now, a DUI is a little more 'gray' in defining. I knew a guy once that had a major tolerance for scotch. He could have 5 or 6 and you'd swear he was drinking Iced Tea. However, you give the guy 2 beers.......and he couldn't finish a sentence.

I always wondered this..

Why are there parking lots at bars if its illegal to drink and drive? :confused:
Because you can go into a bar and drink responsibly, and you can go into a bar and not consume any alcohol at all. I like beer, but if I have to drive, my consumption will be limited to one or two accompanied by a meal. When I was working concert production in a local night club, I talked the club owner into offering O'Douls (sp?) on tap. It's a decent tasting non-alcoholic beer. ...well non-alcoholic in that's it's under .5% alcohol by volume. You could drink 24 of them and still be sober (I did once, during a marathon concert day -- 12 hours of music), but it will still give you a headache in the morning (or maybe a couple lousy bands had something to do with that).

There are two benchmark levels of blood alcohol content (BAC) in Colorado for getting ticketed or arrested.

One is a BAC of .05, which will net you a DWAI, driving while ability impaired. Suck on a certs breath mint, and you'll register a .02 BAC on a breath test. A person who is not very heavy drinking a single beer and sucking on a certs afterward, on an empty stomach, will register .05.

The second benchmark is a BAC of .08, known as a DUI, driving under the influence. Depending on your weight, that level can be reached with two beers in a short period of time on an empty stomach.

There are so many individual traits that influence the affects of alcohol on each person that its difficult/impossible to set standards that equally apply to everyone. Some people are slurring words and stumbling after two beers. Other people can drink to the point where their BAC would kill most people, and they're still somewhat functional. Drunk for sure, but functional. I know a guy that bet a cop in Breckenridge that he could walk from a local watering hole to the police station and blow a .40 BAC (5 times the DUI minimum), and walk back to the bar. The cop took the bet for $100. The cop lost the bet, the guy blew a .43!

First off, I will admit openly that I've been behind the wheel when I shouldn't have. Second, I NEVER attempt to drive if I cannot focus. I can think of 3-4 times where I didn't even want to attempt to drive and called somebody! Even when I've been marginally buzzed I'll use as many side streets as Possible, knowing your city inside and Out is an advantage believe me. But since I've never gotten popped means I'm doing something right.:rolleyes:

That doesn't make any sense Martin. There has to be a minimum standard for what constitutes "under the influence", other than what you might blurt out to an officer immediately after being stopped. Zero tolerance ain't zero when consumption of non-alcoholic products will produce a positive reading on a breath test. Admitting to having a beer or two "today or tonight" doesn't mean you are drunk! They'd have to test you after being arrested to have a case with a resultant BAC number to proceed with a case against you. Given that a breath test will read positive even if you haven't been drinking, the only way to go in such a situation is to demand a blood test. Did you take any type of BAC test after they arrested you? It blows my mind that it cost you all of the time and money involved with an actual DUI conviction if you weren't actually driving drunk!

...I hate it when someone removes a post that someone else spent time and thought to compose a reply to, i.e., my second post in this thread to Martin. Now, no one reading the thread will fully understand what I was writing about in my post. I'd really like to know why Martin's post vanished!

From now on, boxed quotes will be included in every post I make on this forum that is a direct response to another post made by one person.

I don't know if this is happening everywhere, but here in New Mexico undercover Cops have been seen asking people inside of nightclubs to take breathilizer tests whether they are driving or not! Apparently they can refuse and it's not law(Yet!), but when they can bust you just for being drunk whether your driving or not? I'm sorry but that SUCKS!

...I hate it when someone removes a post that someone else spent time and thought to compose a reply to, i.e., my second post in this thread to Martin. Now, no one reading the thread will fully understand what I was writing about in my post. I'd really like to know why Martin's post vanished!

From now on, boxed quotes will be included in every post I make on this forum that is a direct response to another post made by one person.

he removed it himself

Joe, would that be over pouring or over drinking? Sorry but if you drink and drive I hope they hang your ass. Work as a fireman for a while and then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

You're right after doing cpr on someone that you lose and wondering if you could have done something else. It's a slap in the face to learn that they were drunk as hell and hit the flippin tree out of their own stupidity.

If you drink don't drive, its that easy.

I don't know if this is happening everywhere, but here in New Mexico undercover Cops have been seen asking people inside of nightclubs to take breathilizer tests whether they are driving or not! Apparently they can refuse and it's not law(Yet!), but when they can bust you just for being drunk whether your driving or not? I'm sorry but that SUCKS!

That's pretty intrusive Joe the only thing I could think they could possibly do is nail you for being drunk in public but that would even be sketchy at the least. :cool:
If they asked me I would flip them the bird and tell them to "F" off but that's me. :p

Just wait until that sheriff in Maricopa County becomes Governor... :D or President... :eek:

Turns out some drunk had come into the place 2 nights earlier and was refused service, only to leave the Bar and get pulled over for DWI. I guess this is the way Cops get back at Bars for suspected over pouring.

There is a bar where I live that had some woman get in a wreck leaving the parking lot. The police questioned the bartender and it was determined that her and her friends had several pitchers of beer. So they put a 2 pitcher maximum restriction on beer. I can certainly understand that part. However, there is NO restriction on cans, bottles, shots, mixed drinks, etc. When they were asked about that they said had she been drinking something else THEN they would have considered other restrictions.

I think it is very important for bartenders to pay attention to when someone should be cut off but I know that can be a hard determination to make.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back