Favorite Front-Engine Top Fuel Car? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
This should open the nitro "Pandora's Box" on this, what was your favorite or what you thought the best, front engine Top Fuel dragster? Or in my view, the fav/best AA/FD!!!

From the beginning to the early 70s',who was it? There are hundreds. I was one of those who bemoaned the mid-engine cars for some time. I remember the absolute passion and lather whipped up at Pomona when Dwight Hughes in the "Berry Brothers And Hughes" went rounds well after his form of car was a underdog. Dad and I, plus I would say about 50+ plus Lions Drag Strip diehards were up in the top row cheering and willing Dwight to go far. He made it to round 3. We were front-engine zealots, still the best.

Yours??????????????

TopFuel@Lions

Atlas Oil Tool Spl for looks. Schultz & Glenn for power. They ran 6.41 at Lions & backed it up with another 6.41 in opposite lane. (I was there). Low ET of the World at the time, 1971. And of course, you gotta add Greer-Black-Prudhomme. Didn't lose too many races at The Beach.

Keeling and Clayton California Charger

1812p.gif

I CAN'T PICK JUST ONE.........THERE WERE TO MANY GOOD LOOKING ONES BACK IN THE DAY......BUT......OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.......

IVO...GBP.....K & C......THE BEACHCOMBER.....TONY NANCY....B & M.......AND ALWAYS A SUCKER FOR A CHUTE PACK BODY

I'll never forget when Larry Huff showed up at Wichita Kansas with his new Soapy Sales fuel car. Trailer had picture windows with lights that highlighted the car which was as attractive as any car currently running. Had 2 or 3 complete spare KB motors which were also visible inside the trailer. All the parts you could ever need and a crew of I'd guess 6 or 8. This must have been in 1968 or 69. I knew then the days of a couple of good old boys building a competitive car were fast fading. Still it was one of the nicest cars I'd ever seen as was the Smirnoff car when it was first built . Of course nothing compares to the current Tom Hanna cackle car.

I'll never forget when Larry Huff showed up at Wichita Kansas with his new Soapy Sales fuel car. Trailer had picture windows with lights that highlighted the car which was as attractive as any car currently running. Had 2 or 3 complete spare KB motors which were also visible inside the trailer. All the parts you could ever need and a crew of I'd guess 6 or 8. This must have been in 1968 or 69. I knew then the days of a couple of good old boys building a competitive car were fast fading. Still it was one of the nicest cars I'd ever seen as was the Smirnoff car when it was first built . Of course nothing compares to the current Tom Hanna cackle car.

HANNA'S CAR IS BEAUTIFUL...NOT SURE IF I LIKE THE BLUE OR RED PAINT BETTER.....

You know what hits me with this car? The roll cage. Am so used to 6 point cage that I see this 3 point & it just looks strange. But back then, that was the norm. This car was always tuff. I saw Rick Ramsey drive this car at OCIR, raced the Snake in the Wedge car. Ramsey won on a hole shot and they both ran 6.43. I about fell out of the stands, cuz 6.43 was the all time quickest (John Mulligan in 1969 at the Nationals) and these guys tied it. Wow, what a race. That was 1971.

For me it has to be a Tony Nancy car. Always loved the bright look and I think this was a Bill Carter paint job. That's former San Fernando Raceway and Hot Rod Magazine Publisher Harry "Hand Grenade" Hibler talking with my dad.

IMG_2875.JPG

I too like a Tom Hanna bodied car. I took this picture of the Soapy Sales car at the Lion Museum Grand Opening last weekend.

IMG_2872.JPG

I had forgotten that it is a Jim Davis chassis and that Nat Quick was involved in the paint/lettering. The unique front suspension and steering allows the body to have a very pleasing and streamlined shape. Thanks for the picture. Brings back many memories. My first fuel car was a Davis car and it also was painted by Nat before he moved to California.

Tony Nancy always had sharp looking cars. He had a 32 Ford Roadster with a blown Buick engine around 1959-1960. 22 JR was his trademark. Also an A/Modified Roadster that I saw at San Fernando in early 60's, that had a blown Buick. Rear engine T/G dragster with the Plymouth wedge engine, that he ran in England. Later, a Top Gas dragster with a Chevy rat motor, late 1960's, then the T/F cars, front & rear engine. He was a class racer. If you had a car with Tony Nancy upholstry you had something special. Famous seahorse trademark.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back