4 Wide Racing (1 Viewer)

tx_trojan

Nitro Member
To preface my thoughts, I think Bruton Smith is THE MAN when it comes to building/managing tracks. LVMS was my 'home track' for several years prior to relocating to the Houston area and I have nothing but the best to say regarding that facility.

But, the 4 wide racing drives me absolutely nuts. It cuts the racing in 1/2 and is confusing to watch. Just doesn't seem like a legitimate format for a points race. I'd be good if it were an exhibition or all-star race. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but it's just odd to watch.

Not trying to flame, just looking to see if I'm on my own with this thought!! :D

I don't think you're on your own at all, Michael. It belongs in an exhibition format ONLY, if at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Agree, Am I gonna sit all day to see 120 seconds of racing?
Nah, I want my 240 seconds of Nitro!

All seriousness aside, 4 wide might be fun if we had 32 -plus car fields but not in today's reality.

That said, seeing a 4 wide event is on my "bucket list".

Good solution! I, too think the four wide thing is more of a novelty than actual racing. I don't even watch it on TV because I don't enjoy the confusion. It's like having four guys in a boxing ring or four guys on the pitcher's mound in baseball. Some things were just fine before...

I, too think the four wide thing is more of a novelty than actual racing. I don't even watch it on TV because I don't enjoy the confusion. It's like having four guys in a boxing ring or four guys on the pitcher's mound in baseball. Some things were just fine before...

To me it was one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it situations. Two wide was fine, four wide is nothing more than a novelty format. I'm waiting for the day when 3 or 4 of the fuel cars oil the track, just imagine a 4 wide oildown cleanup delay...:cool:

To me it was one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it situations. Two wide was fine, four wide is nothing more than a novelty format. I'm waiting for the day when 3 or 4 of the fuel cars oil the track, just imagine a 4 wide oildown cleanup delay...:cool:
Lol that'll make the race a little longer.

I think it will just die a natural death on its own in a couple of years. Past the novelty, it doesn't have that much more to offer.

One of the best things to hit drag racing since the christmas tree!!! Something NEW, something different.
I agree change the format, a looser should NOT advance to the next RD. (jmo)

I think it will just die a natural death on its own in a couple of years. Past the novelty, it doesn't have that much more to offer.

Over the years for insurance and safety reasons the car to spectator distance has been increased significantly...compare Bandimere or Rockingham for example to Baytown or Ennis. It wasn't a big deal when I was younger, but having the far two lanes even further away in addition to trying to take it all in just doesn't do it for me. Maybe then we could go back to the old tree? :p

It's been done before and died a natural death - as it should. In my opinion it's purely an exhibition format not suitable for real competition. I agree with those who think it detracts from the spectator experience, as it's hard enough to fully take in two fuel cars per run.

Just think - if they ran it 4 cars go down and the winner (one) comes back, you could eliminate a 16 car field in two rounds! :D

For what it's worth - NHRA/ESPN are you listening? - it's the one race on the tour that I flatly refuse to watch on TV, and would never pay money to go to. I guess I'm a 2-lane purist :)

IF 4 wide is good 16 wide would be better. We could get it over
and done with real quick. Still charging the same amount of money.

To preface my thoughts, I think Bruton Smith is THE MAN when it comes to building/managing tracks. LVMS was my 'home track' for several years prior to relocating to the Houston area and I have nothing but the best to say regarding that facility.

But, the 4 wide racing drives me absolutely nuts. It cuts the racing in 1/2 and is confusing to watch. Just doesn't seem like a legitimate format for a points race. I'd be good if it were an exhibition or all-star race. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but it's just odd to watch.

Not trying to flame, just looking to see if I'm on my own with this thought!! :D

Michael, since you are new (39 posts) to Nitromater, you probably missed all the scuttlebutt on here about NHRA 4-Wide racing. Do a "search" of past threads and you'll see how passionate people got about it. Most were NOT in favor of it, but some were okay with it. I too think it should be "exhibition only" and not for points, but NHRA and Bruton Smith decided otherwise. It "WAS" an exhibition the first time it was done, with first round losers coming back and running for the fun or challenge of it, but the actual race was only 2-Wide. That only happened the first year the Charlotte track was open and there was only one race there. Then NHRA and Bruton Smith decided to add a 2nd race at the track and decided all the Pro categories would run 4-Wide, hence the creation of the 4-Wide Nationals.

I don't like it in a competition format just because I take the racing aspect of the sport way to seriously. I cannot get over the gimmick/novelty aspect of it. People will argue that well the burnout is a gimmick and sure you can turn the burnout into a show but thats different it serves a purpose and people like them aswell.

If the 4-wide thing was truly about saving time every class would do it.

One of the big selling points for 4 wide racing was the aspect of having 4 nitro cars running down the strip at the same time. I remember the ones on this board who've attended that race said it was indeed pretty awesome.

However, that aspect of the concept loses everything in the translation to television.

Qualify 4-wide on Saturday. Race 2-wide on Sunday. That way, if you're a 4-wide enthusiast, you get a taste - and if you're a 2-wide purist, your apple cart isn't upset.

Either that or make the race a separate no-point event, like the TF vs. FC Winston Showdown race years ago, and let 'em fight over a $250,000 winner-take-all. That oughta bring in a few cars and a lot of fans.

One of the big selling points for 4 wide racing was the aspect of having 4 nitro cars running down the strip at the same time. I remember the ones on this board who've attended that race said it was indeed pretty awesome.

However, that aspect of the concept loses everything in the translation to television.
Yep, everybody that I have talked to that has seen it in person, except for one person, has liked it. I don't like it on tv but am interested in the sheer sound of it all. At this point I get to see it in April, so I will reserve further opinion until then.

The races aren't cut in half, there is only one less round on race day per class, and you get to see the same number of cars run as any other National Meet.
I'm waiting for the day when 3 or 4 of the fuel cars oil the track, just imagine a 4 wide oildown cleanup delay...:cool:
They double the Safety Safari for that race, so that situation would be no different than if two cars oiled down side by side.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back