Putting 4 wide to bed (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
With all the discussion on whether 4 wide is good or bad or whether it should be continued or not I think it's about time to put this all to bed for once and for all and it's real easy.
The 2010 NHRA Rule book states in Section VI: The Basics of Drag Racing:
"THE SPORT OF DRAG RACING IS AN ACCELERATION CONTEST BETWEEN TWO VEHICLES RACING FROM A STANDING START OVER A STRAIGHT RACE COURSE. A DRAG RACING EVENT IS MADE UP OF A SERIES OF INDIVIDUAL TWO-VEHICLE RACES CALLED ELIMINATIONS". There are numerous more references to "two vehicles" throughout the rule book.

Seems pretty simple to me. Maybe Bruton Smith should have read the NHRA rule book before he spent the money to make his 4-wide. Also, NHRA should have enforced their own rules.

you're kidding right?
suppose you stop at yellow lights too :rolleyes:

LOL! Sorry, I had to laugh!

With all the discussion on whether 4 wide is good or bad or whether it should be continued or not I think it's about time to put this all to bed for once and for all and it's real easy.
The 2010 NHRA Rule book states in Section VI: The Basics of Drag Racing:
"THE SPORT OF DRAG RACING IS AN ACCELERATION CONTEST BETWEEN TWO VEHICLES RACING FROM A STANDING START OVER A STRAIGHT RACE COURSE. A DRAG RACING EVENT IS MADE UP OF A SERIES OF INDIVIDUAL TWO-VEHICLE RACES CALLED ELIMINATIONS". There are numerous more references to "two vehicles" throughout the rule book.

Seems pretty simple to me. Maybe Bruton Smith should have read the NHRA rule book before he spent the money to make his 4-wide. Also, NHRA should have enforced their own rules.

Terry, although there are several references to "two vehicles", I'm guessing that none of them are actually RULES. Your mention of Section VI above is just referring to the basics of drag racing....it's not a rule.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of 4 wide, but I will give Bruton credit for trying to "spice" things up and get some renewed energy into the sport. I'm fairly new to this forum, but one thing that I picked up on right away is that there is a LOT of negativity regarding the current state of drag racing and paricularly towards the NHRA. Seriously, if some of you hate it that much, why watch it, attend it, participate in it, etc.? I've been attending NHRA events since the early 80's and to be honest, I still love going, and yes, watching it on TV when I can't go. Is it exactly the way I think it should be, probably not, but I still love watching (and feeling) the power and acceleration....nothing beats it!

LOL! Sorry, I had to laugh!

Terry, although there are several references to "two vehicles", I'm guessing that none of them are actually RULES. Your mention of Section VI above is just referring to the basics of drag racing....it's not a rule.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of 4 wide, but I will give Bruton credit for trying to "spice" things up and get some renewed energy into the sport. I'm fairly new to this forum, but one thing that I picked up on right away is that there is a LOT of negativity regarding the current state of drag racing and paricularly towards the NHRA. Seriously, if some of you hate it that much, why watch it, attend it, participate in it, etc.? I've been attending NHRA events since the early 80's and to be honest, I still love going, and yes, watching it on TV when I can't go. Is it exactly the way I think it should be, probably not, but I still love watching (and feeling) the power and acceleration....nothing beats it!

Going.....going.........GONE. Way to connect Michael. Knocked that one out of the park. You have to admit it is a bit ironic how much time and energy are spent by some going on about how bad it is and how they are not going any more............:)

I think Burton built a great facility. Lets use it to the max.............hence the name Z-Max. Lets run both sets of lanes for the Sportsman categories, alternating back and forth. When the Nitro cars oil the track, switch over to the other lanes and keep the program moving. We spend WAY to much time watching tractors, crew members, spray wagons and the like between every session.................its awful. I bring friends and customers to National events all the time and they cannot believe the down time. They love the experience, but cannot understand how it can "drag" (sorry) out. We have work to do.

I have to say that the responses have been both interesting and funny. More funny than interesting.
Michael, you stated that I mentioned Section VI is just referring to the basics of drag racing....and you said it's not a rule.
First off I did not ever say anything about Section VI is just referring to the basics. I said the rule book "states".
Second I would love to know how it is that you know "it's not a rule", do you have some inside information that no one else has or is that just a Wild-Ass-Guess. Contact your local NHRA field office or Glendora and they will tell you than anything that is between the front and back cover of the rule book is not a reference but all part of the rules.
You mentioned you are new to this and are seeing a lot of negativity toward NHRA. Yes there is and if you ask the majority of the racers they agree but the reason we race NHRA is because in most parts of the country they are the only choice we have and when you have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in a race car, like I do, you arn't going to let it sit in the garage. You put up with their BS.
I have been racing since 1959 and can guarantee you and everyone else that when NHRA wants to they can and will enforce anything between the front and back cover of the rule book. I know that from 1st hand experience.

Have all the fun you want with this but when you get a real race car and have to deal with the NHRA tech people or other officials you will find out what I am talking about. (Unless you are John Force)

If you look at what has taken place at e-max since it opened last year. During the very first demonstration there were numerous PRO teams that set out, including Shoe and then raced during the actual racing which was 2 lanes. Also at the latest race there were some independent fuel racers that usually go to almost all the races, like Jim Head. Don't even bring this up with Jim Dunn as you probably won't be able to walk after he gets done.

We shall see what comes out of the PRO meeting later this week.

In the mean time have all the fun you want with this.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back